Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #241
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
The Brazilians have been unimpressive so far (Neymar is the latest desperate attempt to find the next Pele, he seems very overrated to me, the occasional wonder goal aside).
He's wonderfully skilled, but with a slight body. He'd fit very well at Barca. I worry about early physical burnout. He has played an awful lot of matches at a young age.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #242
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
He's wonderfully skilled, but with a slight body. He'd fit very well at Barca. I worry about early physical burnout. He has played an awful lot of matches at a young age.
I think it odd, that he doesn't train up a bit to prepare for a more physical game.
Mario Götze is only slightly taller and weights... bad example... he tends more to bumblebee than bee.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #243
wxwax
Excited Member

I wonder which Tottenham will show up on Wednesday? The lethargic, one-man band of the last couple of weeks? Or the soaring outfit from midseason?

It's funny-odd that Spurs' entire season could come down to one game.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #244
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
I really hope that Chelsea destroy Tottenham, and I HATE Chelsea.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #245
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,686
Quote:
I despair of FIFA ever eliminating corruption. But it's nice to see them turn on themselves.

Anyone who's been following the travails of CONCACAF's Jack Warner knows he was caught red-handed giving out envelopes stuffed with money to buy delegate votes.

In a slow-moving process, Warner has plotted his revenge for being kicked out of FIFA. He now claims to have proof that Blatter -- through his corrupt predecessor Joao Havelange -- paid Warner 4 million pounds to secure enough votes to win Blatter the FIFA presidency.

I hope Wanrer has the documents he claims to have. It might finally force Blatter out in disgrace. And perhaps even lead to a more thorough examination of how Qatar was awarded the World Cup. Not holding my breath, though.
Piece in the Guardian today on corruption in Spanish football (I'd say its a Latin thing but if you've read any tales of agent dealings in the Premier League, it seems like a difference only by degree).
Old 05-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #246
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Piece in the Guardian today on corruption in Spanish football (I'd say its a Latin thing but if you've read any tales of agent dealings in the Premier League, it seems like a difference only by degree).
The stuff of agents in world football is a sordid story that's never really been plainly told. They had investigations in England about "bung" payments to managers for buying players (Harry Redknapp was the most prominent name involved, I think) but then it all sort of drifts away. Agents have a surprising amount of power to force deals and even, sometimes, control the personnel of a club (Blackburn Rovers being the most recent example.) The money involved is huge, so it's understandable that there's a lot of dubious dealing.

The only thing I would say in defense of English football is that there's never been a suspicion of match fixing. How long that will continue, I wouldn't dare to guess. FIFA looks impotent in the face of worldwide gambling and corruption, so it may only be a matter of time before some Singapore syndicate gets its mitts on an English team or match official.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #247
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
The stuff of agents in world football is a sordid story that's never really been plainly told. .
And right on time . . .

Agent launches legal threat to UEFA fair play rules

Apparantly, they'll restrict his earnings

And in other news, it seems Liverpool have been playing a little nasty eminent domain

"People's farewells are bitter, filled with anger and heartbreak at the area's dreadful decline and at the club for deepening the blight by buying up houses since the mid-1990s then leaving them empty"

Full Story

Perhaps as the wheels come off the European economies they can't ignore this stuff anymore
Old 05-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #248
wxwax
Excited Member

Yeah, I read the agent lawsuit. It sounds to me -- nabob that I am -- that he has a good chance of winning. FFP is a restraint on trade. And I'm with those who believe it would serve to cement the hierarchy in European football, for as long as it is in effect. It serves the rich and hobbles the poor. UEFA's initial response to the lawsuit was revealingly weak, it seemed to me.

It seems to me that the Liverpool club does not have a responsibility to maintain the neighborhood as it buys homes which come on the market. In order to expand, it needs the additional land/right to shade. And the club does need a larger stadium if it's to be competitive.

The culture of soccer in England is much to blame. Fans won't accept a club leaving its traditional neighborhood. This greatly limits the options for moving or expansion. Chelsea are in the same boat or worse, given the scarcity and price of large lots of land in south west London. Like Anfield, Stamford Bridge is hemmed in and expansion is impractical.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #249
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,660
Quote:
Yeah, I read the agent lawsuit. It sounds to me -- nabob that I am -- that he has a good chance of winning. FFP is a restraint on trade. And I'm with those who believe it would serve to cement the hierarchy in European football, for as long as it is in effect. It serves the rich and hobbles the poor. UEFA's initial response to the lawsuit was revealingly weak, it seemed to me.

It seems to me that the Liverpool club does not have a responsibility to maintain the neighborhood as it buys homes which come on the market. In order to expand, it needs the additional land/right to shade. And the club does need a larger stadium if it's to be competitive.

The culture of soccer in England is much to blame. Fans won't accept a club leaving its traditional neighborhood. This greatly limits the options for moving or expansion. Chelsea are in the same boat or worse, given the scarcity and price of large lots of land in south west London. Like Anfield, Stamford Bridge is hemmed in and expansion is impractical.
Financial fair play does not regulate trade. In my view it is more regulation of franchise partners.
Good management will always help clubs to emerge.

I think EPL has a problem that these venues tend to be very old. With clubs as businesses having not much emotional value themselves, their history and traditions are heavily linked to the grounds they play in.
I do not agree with your notion that ownership and neigbourhood does not come with obligations. Intentionally driving down prices in an area to buy cheaper might easily ride through the gray area of law.

Just because it fits. Investments in new stadiums and facilities are exempt from FFP.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #250
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
Financial fair play does not regulate trade. In my view it is more regulation of franchise partners.

I think EPL has a problem that these venues tend to be very old. With clubs as businesses having not much emotional value themselves, their history and traditions are heavily linked to the grounds they play in.
I do not agree with your notion that ownership and neigbourhood does not come with obligations. Intentionally driving down prices in an area to buy cheaper might easily ride through the gray area of law.

Just because it fits. Investments in new stadiums and facilities are exempt from FFP.
What are the condition of the German stadiums? They seem to have the cheapest ticket prices in Europe and deep roots in the community so is there infrastructure investment? Iirc, they still have standing only terraces which were eliminated in the EPL as part of their hooligan reforms.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #251
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
FFP has the effect of restraining trade by limiting who can spend money on players. It's a very direct effect. The only clubs who will be able to afford top players will be those who have a very large stadium, great merchandising revenue and a fat TV deal.

That doesn't describe many clubs, and it only describes one club in Germany.

The rich will get richer, the poor will stay poor, and the Chelseas, Manchester Citys, Malagas etc. of his world won't be allowed to happen.

A very boring world, IOW.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #252
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
I don't understand what this means. These clubs and more all play in a relatively new stadium:

Arsenal, Stoke City, West Ham (soon), Bolton Wanderers, Manchester City, Swansea City, Reading, Derby County... the list goes on...

The problem with territoriality is in crowded marketplaces like London. Clubs are defined the the neighborhood in which they are based. Spurs-Arsenal, for example, is the North London Derby. Chelsea-Fulham or Chelsea-QPR are rivalries because of geography. West Ham-Millwall matches are like a bloody nose.

Liverpool can't afford to build a new park, which is why expanding Anfield is on the table. But like Wrigley Field or Fenway Prk in the United States, the neighborhood hems them in.

Chelsea have the money to move. But they're constrained by two things. One, finding a suitable site that's close to Stamford Bridge. And two, the Pitcher Owners Association, which is fighting any move. Stupid, they are, but that's the emotion involved.

The suggestion that English football clubs are passionless businesses is -- well, we're friends here, so I'll be polite -- it's incorrect.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #253
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
So, biggest of news this year, and probably all summer. SAF is retiring.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #254
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
So, biggest of news this year, and probably all summer. SAF is retiring.
Mourinho's dream job. But it sounds like he won't get it. A lot of Chelsea fans are in denial that Mourinho only loves them when it suits him. It's a pity United will reportedly pick Moyes soon. The longer it would have dragged out, the longer it would have given Mourinho time to lobby... and open some eyes in SW London.

Moyes to United is a bit like Hodgson to Liverpool. Big change for the manager and a change in style expected.

This is a huge opportunity for the rest of the top clubs in the Premier League. Ferguson was a masterful coach and motivator. He will be greatly missed.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #255
mancunian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Sir Alex Ferguson

Indeed the greatest football manager alive if not ever.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: