Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #76
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,243
Maybe it will be a retail 450 with 37Litre tank(s)..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #77
gboswellsac
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG View Post
Just made the decision to buy one today, checked Honda site and nada. Oh well, off to see the wizard for a Multistrada I guess.....
Is the Multistrada the closed thing to the performance and reliability of the Transalp? What can I get (without selling my soul) in the USA that is equivalent. I had a 2000 600 Transalp for a year and a major life downturn made me sell it. I've picked up a Suzuki DL650 (2004) and it is nice but I was some much more confortable on the Transalp on the tarmac and off road. Looking at a Honda 700NX or the 550X but do not think either will be much fun off road. I'm not a youngster anymore but still like to trail ride and mess in the mud a little.
gboswellsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #78
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
Does anyone have an online link to this official Honda announcement?

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #79
ybadihi
n00b

Oddometer: 1
If only Honda would have made something like Triumph did with their 800XC to compete with the F800GS, I would be happy to own one.
ybadihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #80
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by gboswellsac View Post
I I had a 2000 600 Transalp for a year and a major life downturn made me sell it. I've picked up a Suzuki DL650 (2004) and it is nice but I was some much more confortable on the Transalp on the tarmac and off road.

If you want a Transalp then I would get a Transalp, nothing less will do

Cheers
Potski
Old 10-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #81
VTPete
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Sad that they never came back to the USA

I now only own one motorcycle. It's the one I've always loved and kept despite it always being my "second bike". I would never sell it.

With the exception of the CDI units, it's a 1989 Transalp that's 100% stock. I just hit 7,000 miles on it. I brought it off-road up a long Vermont mountain last month and it purred like it was brand new.

I've had my Transalp for ever... I kept it even while I bought, rode and sold an R1200GS. It's just that perfect of a bike.

-Pete
VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #82
Thumperama
RIP Husaberg

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by gboswellsac View Post
Is the Multistrada the closed thing to the performance and reliability of the Transalp? What can I get (without selling my soul) in the USA that is equivalent. I had a 2000 600 Transalp for a year and a major life downturn made me sell it. I've picked up a Suzuki DL650 (2004) and it is nice but I was some much more confortable on the Transalp on the tarmac and off road. Looking at a Honda 700NX or the 550X but do not think either will be much fun off road. I'm not a youngster anymore but still like to trail ride and mess in the mud a little.
You could buy 4 or 5 Transalps for the price of one Multistrada (unless you get one of the pre-2010's. Great bikes but a mug only a mother could love). Two completely different bikes. The Ducati has three times the power and five times the maintenance costs.

I owned a red 1990 Transalp for 15 years and sold it to a guy in Georgia that only kept it a couple of months. Never really was sure what his deal was, but his money spent as well as anyone's at the time. I truly loved that bike, but rarely rode it and needed some downpayment funds to buy a Porsche. Seemed like the right thing to do at the time......
'06 Triumph Tiger 955i, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i
'97 & '87 XR600R's
Thumperama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #83
Wop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
They start with a road bike and try to make it an off road bike without spending much money then convince you that it is actually an off road bike.
I have a Honda Dominator which for those who aren't Hondaphiles was the successor to the old XL range and it feels like a big trail bike with some fairings, rubber mounted bars, good gauges and good lights (relatively speaking).
Whenever I look at old TA's an AT's I see a twin Cylinder Dominator and get a warm comfortable feeling all over , mmmm two cylinders.
Bloody thing has over 90,000 k's, has been droppped, thrashed thrown down the road and fixed with a crow bar and shovel handle and had stuff all maintenence.
Modern trail bikes aren't even that let alone a modern road bike pretending to be an off road bike.
Unless they develop a KLR, or DR style bike to be a better on road we are never going to that simple, reliable, robust sort of product again.
Light , reliable, robust and easy to fix does not come with extreme comfort, 100hp, heated grips, big fairing fuel injected fly by wire bla bla bla.
Would be interesting to see how many would actually put money down on a new 1990 Africa Twin?
Wop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #84
DurangoDon
n00b

Oddometer: 1
1990 Honda Trans Alp Advice Requested

I am getting back into motorcycles, and need some advice. I want an adventure bike for commuting and play.

I have the opportunity to pick up a 1990 XL600V Honda Trans Alp with +/- 23K miles on it. It is garage stored, and red in color with the grey and silver striping. It has a new chain and sprocket, +/-60% left on the tires, the clutch was replaced +/- 1 1/2 years ago, a scratch on the tank and a few spiders in the faring...

The owner is asking $3,500.00 USD. He is either the original owner, or the second owner...

Is this a god place to start? A good price? What concerns should I have?
Thanks for your input!
DurangoDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #85
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoDon View Post
I am getting back into motorcycles, and need some advice. I want an adventure bike for commuting and play.

I have the opportunity to pick up a 1990 XL600V Honda Trans Alp with +/- 23K miles on it. It is garage stored, and red in color with the grey and silver striping. It has a new chain and sprocket, +/-60% left on the tires, the clutch was replaced +/- 1 1/2 years ago, a scratch on the tank and a few spiders in the faring...

The owner is asking $3,500.00 USD. He is either the original owner, or the second owner...

Is this a god place to start? A good price? What concerns should I have?
Thanks for your input!
Welcome to the Asylum and hopefully you'll be a new TA owner.

These threads provide a lot more info about the TA. Since you only show one post, I'm guessing you haven't asked the same question elsewhere.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39170

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586946

I'm pretty sure I've seen the CL ad for the TA you're looking at and it looks like a great bike. There were far fewer of the 1990 Red TAs brought to the US than the 89 white ones, so they normally go for a few bucks more. The asking price is well within the range of what TAs tend to be going for these days. You can sometimes find cheaper ones, but they are normally the white ones with more miles and potential damage.

The Transalp is a great all around bike. It was ahead of it's time so didn't sell well initially, but now has a bit of a cult following. I've had mine since 96 and it's pushing 90K miles with no real issues (I put over 80K of those on it). I've ridden it to every state except Hawaii (check my pic links in the signature) and loved all those miles. There aren't any real specifics to check out other than what you would for any bike if it seems to be running well. You can go through the mods thread for specifics or to get more info. Everyone is pretty helpful there and there are some guys with lots of expertise in the TA.

The TAs are known for having a pretty long life engine, not hard to get over 100K with no real work. Some have experienced corrosion issues in the wheels that may not be easy to see (inside the rim), but if it's been CO based and you see no obvious signs, it's probably good. Some items, most noticeably the plastics like side panels and carb sliders, aren't available any more, but all the core maintenance items are mostly still easily available. You can even get appropriate oil filters from Walmart.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions, or post over in the Mods thread, you'll get more response there.

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:26 AM   #86
potski
Wiley Wanderer

2014 Honda Transalp

Urm, hang on "2014 Honda Transalp"

Anyone fancy riding an Alp home from Brazil

Old 12-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #87
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Cheers
Potski
Old 12-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #88
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,497
Seems to me that the TransAlp is just desperately overdue for a top to bottom redesign including a different engine. The new 750 twin engine seems like it's perfect for a new TransAlp. Would love a CB500 TransAlp.
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #89
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman View Post
Seems to me that the TransAlp is just desperately overdue for a top to bottom redesign
Don't know about the bike but the soundtrack definitely does

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #90
potski
Wiley Wanderer

You're missing the point John & GrahamD.. this thread is about the finish of the Honda Transalp - "In memoriam Exit Honda Transalp" that was in 2012.. yet the above adverts say 2013/2014 Honda Transalp.

Cheers
Potski