Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #31
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
Here's few pics from that day, just cause it makes me feel a bit warmer than the minus 20-something outside this morning.... damn winters are too long up here!
I hear that. Headed back to FSJ today....-30 up there. Brrrrrr
Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #32
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,314
WTF are those ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post

We each landed about a half-dozen rainbows that day. Perfect weather and we were the only ones on the stream... except for all these characters, of course:

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #33
GISdood OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
WTF are those ??
Sockeye salmon. They're silver while they reside in the ocean, but once they head back to fresh water and upstream to spawn, they turn red.

Not really fit for consumption at this point (unless you're a bear getting ready for hibernation, of course). The upside to them being in the water and spawning is that the rainbow trout follow them around in hopes of a fresh salmon egg snack.
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #34
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,314
Had no idea they turned psychedelic in colour like that. Cool. Thanks.

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #35
corney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
GSIdood

This is a great thread I found though the camping Canada thread!

I lived in PG for ten years and have fished and camped the Blackwater, Stellako, Crooked River.

I recognized the 100 road on the Crooked pool. Been my experience to keep the belly boat off the bike and fish the Blackwater River at the Canyon bridge, the tail outs at the second bridge( you have to walk the river each way to find them) and the rocks up river from the third bridge( a bit of a hike as well). Black stone fly nymphs and orange bellied stimulators at the right time! Great FS camp sites as well.

I had a legendary day on the Stellako once where the fishing Gods were shining on me and I caught 30 ish beautiful bows on an egg pattern. Most times I was skunked.

Crooked River mostly caught a course fish that was named locally a name that is politically incorrect! Whitefish and small bows as well.

You Sir live in fishing and dual sport heaven!

I also fish a four piece St.Croix with a BFR reel bought at Northern Troutfitters when Scott worked there.

Tight lines

corney
corney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #36
GISdood OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corney View Post
GSIdood

This is a great thread I found though the camping Canada thread!

I lived in PG for ten years and have fished and camped the Blackwater, Stellako, Crooked River.

I recognized the 100 road on the Crooked pool. Been my experience to keep the belly boat off the bike and fish the Blackwater River at the Canyon bridge, the tail outs at the second bridge( you have to walk the river each way to find them) and the rocks up river from the third bridge( a bit of a hike as well). Black stone fly nymphs and orange bellied stimulators at the right time! Great FS camp sites as well.

I had a legendary day on the Stellako once where the fishing Gods were shining on me and I caught 30 ish beautiful bows on an egg pattern. Most times I was skunked.

Crooked River mostly caught a course fish that was named locally a name that is politically incorrect! Whitefish and small bows as well.

You Sir live in fishing and dual sport heaven!

I also fish a four piece St.Croix with a BFR reel bought at Northern Troutfitters when Scott worked there.

Tight lines

corney
Thanks for the tips and fish tales, corney!

Its that time of year again, ice is off most of the lower lakes, so I hope to get out to do some stillwater fishing here in the next couple of weeks. Wicheeda is high on my list, but I'll have to wait a bit before the access to that lake is snow/ice free, I think. Fingers crossed!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #37
corney
Adventurer

Is wicheda sorta East of Bear Lake? I heard many good things about it but never took the Long walk in.

Maybe you could ride your bike all the way in?

A friend of mine Brian Smith wrote called Fly Fishing BC's Interior. He lives in PG and the book is a great reference for fishing spots, bugs and information.

Polar Coachman Flyfishing Club was also a great source to learn about the area. I was new to flyfishing and learnt a bunch from those people.

I didn't own my KLR back then but I borrowed my buddies Honda and rode around the Blackwater country.

Next year I may have to load my camping gear, fly rod on my bike and head that way. Last time I was out there the bug kill had changed that environment in a big way!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #38
GISdood OP
Studly Adventurer

Yup, that's the one!

There's apparently two ways in, but I've only ever taken the one to the south of the lake. It gets you closest to the lake by logging road (deactivated) and then cutblock/skidtrail to the treeline. Last time I was in there, it looked like someone had brushed out the path a bit, so hopefully it hasn't been getting too much fishing pressure - esp from the sledders/icefishing crowd.

Dug up this old pic from a take there a few years ago:

Everything out of that lake is chrome silver like this one with very little coloration. Wicheeda is a higher altitude lake and the water stays cooler throughout the summer, so even in mid-July, the hits are aggressive and the fish are energetic all the way to the net.

Dammit... now I'm itching to get out there... like NOW!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #39
GISdood OP
Studly Adventurer

Sunday was the only 'nice' day in the long weekend forecast so I figured I'd get out for a ride and a bit of fishing, even if it was just a small lake right off of the highway.

Hart Lake, just north of Prince George.

I was loaded up and ready to leave around 9ish...

After grabbing some snacks and fueling up the bike, I hit the road north. 45 min later, here we are...

No gas-powered boats allowed, only electric trolling motors, only single baitless barbless hooks, and being a 'trophy' lake, you can't keep anything OVER 40cm (I was here strictly for catch & release anyway, tho).

After gearing up and tucking all my riding gear away in my baggage, it was onto the water. I rigged up my line as I flipped my way out past the weeds, idly looking around as a drifted out into deeper water. Spotted this guy checking out the waters from a much better vantage point than I had...

I've fished here before quite a bit, although it had been a while since the last time. I went with what I recalled having the most luck. A medium-sized leech pattern with a bit of flash in it on a sinking line. 20 min later, success from the shallow weed bed...

I tried to get another shot of this beauty, but to no avail. I took him out of the net and laid him on the apron of my float tube (which has 18" of measuring lines painted on it), and held him still to get an idea of size. He was at least 2" longer than the extent of lines available. So I dunked my left hand to rinse the fish slime off and then reached for my camera. He took my one-handed grip as opportunity to abandon ship. Oh well... at least I know he had plenty of energy left and would be completely fine.

Another local angler...

There were a pair of these loons popping up and disappearing throughout the afternoon, making their crazy-sounding calls intermittently.

After the breeze had blown me clear across the lake I started making my way around the the lake. Never got anything else to the net, but I did have several more entertaining battles - none that felt as big as the first one, but fun nonetheless.

Looking back towards the dock...

Finally back on land after paddling into the wind the whole time... getting packed up and ready to head out...

coming down across the rails was pretty easy, the threshold was built up quite nicely. The approach coming from the lakeside was not so friendly. Better make sure and hit it square...

I made a quick little trip back into Bear Lake to grab something cold to drink and to have a snack. Parked outside in the sun for a bit...

Exchanged a few txts with the wife letting her know where I was and when I'd be expected home. Watching the locals come and go from the convenience store...

Got home in time to do some yardwork in the sun... I'll spare you the details/photos of that 'fun'. :P

Til next time...
Old 05-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #40
Crooked Creek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Nicely done
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #41
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
I like Hart lake alot. It's been a few years since I've been in there though....always whizzing by on the highway.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #42
corney
Adventurer

It is a peaceful little spot!

I watched some guys long leadering (20'+) chronomids that were catching fish after fish! They were about where you took that picture of the dock, maybe a little deeper.

They were laughing and joking until we got closer and then all was quite. Occurred to me they did not want to share ideas or tips with anyone so I respected that.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #43
randylahee
Adventurer

gotta love bc