ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #9196
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post
I see four, and noted the peeling bark on the tree. I ran up tonight to see if I will feel OK tomorrow. I found a little over a quart in an hour. Cold front is gonna screw things up right proper.
The weather sucks. It's like it's February 82nd.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #9197
GP MX Fan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Snow In May

I am definitely not enjoying the snow tonight!

2002 Heritage Softail Classic
1998 Honda CR250
1983 OSSA 303 Trials
and some other odds and ends...
GP MX Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #9198
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
The weather sucks. It's like it's February 82nd.
Not only sucky weather, but another friend is on the mend. Solid drizzle and snow on the way home, prolly some hip hop word for it.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #9199
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,145
. Snowed in here at the farm. Pics when I get home.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #9200
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
. Snowed in here at the farm. Pics when I get home.

Not a bad place to be snowed in, if you have to be.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #9201
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,980
We were a lot luckier than y'all. We got maybe an inch here in Fayetteville on Mall Mountain. It was all melted before 10 am.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #9202
Jonathan75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Legal Roads

Hey guys i live in eastern missouri and go over to kansas to ride the dirt roads. What are the rules as far as road signs in eastern ks and western mo? I was told if it is a solid color (green or blue) they are legal to be on but some of them disappear into fields or turn into 2 track that looks like it goes right through someones land. Just curious have'nt got in trouble yet I wanted to be informed if someone confronts me on on of these roads.

BTW if anyone knows any cool roads or creek crossing or anything cool to see while out riding i would like to know about it have'nt lived here that long.
Jonathan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #9203
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan75 View Post
Hey guys i live in eastern missouri and go over to kansas to ride the dirt roads. What are the rules as far as road signs in eastern ks and western mo? I was told if it is a solid color (green or blue) they are legal to be on but some of them disappear into fields or turn into 2 track that looks like it goes right through someones land. Just curious have'nt got in trouble yet I wanted to be informed if someone confronts me on on of these roads.

BTW if anyone knows any cool roads or creek crossing or anything cool to see while out riding i would like to know about it have'nt lived here that long.
Look for a stop sign. Rarely will a county put up a stop sign on a private road. Also, don't go through a gate. Most likely you are going through private property.

Just because it is on a map or GPS does not mean it is a legal road.

There is a lot to see in the area, where are you living?

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #9204
Jonathan75
Adventurer

I live in Nevada. I have never gone thru a gate i know better than that. I thought about the stop sign thing too but some of them look lik ethey are coming right out of a pasture and of course those are the best roads Kinda the ones we look for. I rode for 5 hrs over in eastern ks yesterday some of the roads mine were the only tracks. They were super muddy and slick my bike was covered in mud and I was worn out.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #9205
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 764
I do not open gates.

But i do explore areas that would probably be considered private property. For instance if i'm out riding on some old county road, and see a worn out old road leading off to a well site or towards the river or something i will usualy go check it out. But if it apears the path is simply an access for a farmers equipment i won't. We need to be respectfull of the property owners. Only problem i've ever had was on a gravel road around a lake. Guy was doing something illegal and tried to harras me saying i was spying on him. That is why i always carry my trusty ruger lcr when i'm riding.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #9206
Jonathan75
Adventurer

I guess it is all in the way the land owner takes it if he catches you. The roads i am talking about seem like abandoned roads they have grass growing in them and are not used it looks like to me. What am i really hurting if i stay on the road. Seems ok to me. I just thought there might be a police officer or a fireman or someone like that who could chime in and give me some facts. I believe in treading lightly and respecting other folks property. Just when i am riding down some of those roads i wonder. Am i suposed to be here?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #9207
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,587
I know out west here those roads that are reduced to 2 track and covered with grass or weeds are old roads that aren't used anymore. There are a few that look like that they are used by farmers to access other fields and they wouldn't worry about you being on them as long s you are not messing with any equipment that may be stored down that trail. If they don't want you down there they will post a no trespassing sign, sometimes you just see the board where the sign was, just respect those. Also keep in mind that sometimes they will string a fence (and that could be a single wire electric) across those unused roads and connect two fields or pastures together so that the cows have more room to graze, so keep your eyes open. County maps help, you can usually pick one up at the court house for the county you are interested in, or you may be able to find them here http://www.ksdot.org/burtransplan/maps/Mapscounties.asp
Sometimes the county maps will show the low maintenance roads, those are the ones you are looking for

One other thing, with all the gas wells out here you will see a lot of trails that will access the wells. If the land owner isn't running any cattle they will often leave the gate open. This doesn't necessarily mean an invite to go explore.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #9208
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,367

Just because roads on a map does not mean they are open.

The above map is from north central Bourbon County, KS. It is in a area between Devon and Mapleton, KS, west of State Highway 7.

This map is from Microsoft Streets and Trip, Garmin shows the same "roads" on their map software. They are closed and have been for decades.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #9209
[Moto-Scout]
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Texaco Hill

Look up Texaco Hill and ride there sometime. All you will see and hear are the wind and oil wells running in the distance. Not a soul around for twenty or thirty miles. Beautiful country.
[Moto-Scout] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #9210
Jonathan75
Adventurer

Whitmore- Thanks for the maps those are awesome. Wonder if there is a way to get those on a gps.

Jayhawkfan- Thanks for the info very helpful. I did not know about either one of those things. I go to el do often. Randy, the owner of the triumph/suzuki dealer there is a big dual sport guy. He kinda caters to the adventure crowd and keeps lots of things in stock so i go over there alot to see what new stuff he has. I have eaten at the jug.