ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #46
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 297
Dpac
300 at 87 to Woods cyn is about 1 hr with a couple brief stops ( some great view points on the rim). And the section before Heber to Show Low is on NF land and about 1:30+
Both sections are very nice and very big adv bike workable. These times are moving right along. Gas available at Clints Well or Forest Lakes. Enjoy.
Allen
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #47
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 297
Sorry/ extra
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #48
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasbaby View Post
I am planning to take 93 to Kingman, then 40 to Flagstaff. All asphalt. I am staying in Flagstaff with my wife. I will tour route 66 on my way back after running upto the Grand Canyon after the Expo.
I'm going to head south on 93 and then west on 96/89/89A. At Sedona I'm going to go dirt to Mormon Lake.

I'm looking forward to the ride. I just can't decide if I want to switch to K60's for the dirt or leave the Battlewings on for the paved twisties.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #49
Dpac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer View Post
Sorry/ extra
Thanks Lucky! Can't wait!

2013 BMW F800GS
Tucson, Az
Dpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #50
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Hey all - I'll be there. I'm riding there (from NYC!) - I already left, and am making my way down the appelations now, then across as much of the TAT as I can before slabbing the final bit.

My +1 is smarter than I, so she's flying in.

I'll have a beat up looking (by that time) BMW Sertao, with an ADV sticker on it.

We're camping in the moto section.

Hope to see you there.

NY-Lon (Philip)

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #51
Rallyroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Hey all - I'll be there. I'm riding there (from NYC!) - I already left, and am making my way down the appelations now, then across as much of the TAT as I can before slabbing the final bit.

My +1 is smarter than I, so she's flying in.
As an American, you get extra bonus points for riding from NY. The international folks who "drive" or "ride" in from New Zealand, Australia, UK, Spain, etc are obviously in a category of their own.

Even I'm flying in from Los Angeles. Was going to drive my Land Cruiser, but going to meet up with some friends flying into Phoenix and splitting the cost of a rental car. Sadly the taxes on the economy car rental costs more than the rental for the car itself! I'm paying the equivalent of a 110% tax on the rental car! WTF! I pretty sure the big portion is the airport tax on the rental.
Rallyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #52
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Clearly i decided to ride it BEFORE i realized it's close to 3,000 miles!

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #53
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasbaby View Post
I am staying in Flagstaff with my wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65SlashTwo View Post
Gonna stay with my wife in Flag as well.
Plans 1 & 2 are out for me. Anyone know of a good place to stay near Flag?

Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #54
Rallyroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Clearly i decided to ride it BEFORE i realized it's close to 3,000 miles!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #55
Rallyroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucker View Post
Plans 1 & 2 are out for me. Anyone know of a good place to stay near Flag?
If you want to stay in a hotel haunted by ghosts, you can try the Hotel Monte Vista in Downtown Flagstaff. Get some pics of the ghosts for us while you're there.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #56
Averse2work
über n00b

Oddometer: 9
[QUOTE=Hucker;21329365]Plans 1 & 2 are out for me. Anyone know of a good place to stay near Flag?

You could try the Arizona Mountain Inn, which is just south of the I40/I17 junction south of Flagstaff on Lake Mary Road. It pretty rustic with cabins and the like, but gets good reviews on Tripadvisor. I've reserved a cabin there and it looks like there's more available last time I checked.
Averse2work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #57
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I am in, and will be one of the speakers on travel in South America 1:00 PM on the 19th. Looking forward to meeting other ADVs. I am staying at the Motel6 in Flagstaff. White F800 GS with Ruta 40 sticker. Dave
Old 05-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #58
a41capt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Schnebly Hill & Forest Road 240

Boy did you come to the right place, that's my backyard!

Schnebly Hill Road is more than passable on an adventure bike, and Forest Road 240 from there to Mormon Lake is bladed gravel. The ride up from Sedona is about a half hour as well as another 15 to 20 minutes over 240.

Anybody traveling that way is required to stop in at the Pinewood Fire Station (right on the 240 road in Munds Park) to say Hi to me and the other ADV rider boys on duty. We've got 8 of us there that'll be attending the expo on one or more of the days (we're on duty some of the time), and we'd be happy to point out some nice rides in the area. Additionally, the Forest Service has shut down a few roads in the area, but I have free maps of the Coconino National Forest in my office that I'll be happy to hand out to anyone stopping (until they run out anyway!).

So, stop by for a cup of coffee and some bike talk. You can't miss the station, and we love company.

I know it's okay to do it... I'm the Chief!!!!

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
Was in a hurry and only took Mormon Lake Road (240) last year from the lake to I-17. It was marked ok, but it was a main road so more obvious. Road conditions were good - only some pot holes here and there. It looked like a great place to explore but I would bring a good map though.

Theodore Roosevelt
May 13, 1903
Molon Labe!

a41capt screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 04:58 PM Reason: Typo!!!
a41capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #59
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by a41capt View Post
Boy did you come to the right place, that's my backyard!

Anybody traveling that way is required to stop in at the Pinewood Fire Station (right on the 240 road in Munds Park) to say Hi to me and the other ADV rider boys on duty. We've got 8 of us there that'll be attending the expo on one or more of the days (we're on duty some of the time), and we'd be happy to point out some nice rides in the area. Additionally, the Forest Service has shut down a few roads in the area, but I have free maps of the Coconino National Forest in my office that I'll be happy to hand out to anyone stopping (until they run out anyway!).

So, stop by for a cup of coffee and some bike talk. You can't miss the station, and we love company.

John
Will plan on it! Should roll in that Friday early afternoon on the way to the expo. Been looking for some maps but have not been able to locate any for that area, so really appreciate anything you have to point out some good rides.

Will be traveling with another Super Tenere so should be easy to spot...
Old 05-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #60
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by a41capt View Post

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
Will plan on it! Should roll in that Friday early afternoon on the way to the expo. Been looking for some maps but have not been able to locate any for that area, so really appreciate anything you have to point out some good rides.

Will be traveling with another Super Tenere so should be easy to spot...
Hopefully I'll be your third Super Tenere of the day then on Friday. I'll be through later in the afternoon!

Steve