Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #181
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,558
For RTW, I'll have a chain drive every time thanks. For going to Starbucks, it won't make any difference, what type of secondary drive there is..

(no offence, and merely my 0.02)
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #182
robertyknwt
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I'm resembling OP's opening remarks. Age 49, 6'1" and 270 lb. (hoping to drop that down some) with 32-33" inseam, only started riding 4 years ago, and that on an old Yamaha cruiser ('94 Virago 535). I'm thinking I might "trade up" to something newer and bigger, esp. because I want to go on more and longer weekend rides.

For a while, I was thinking something like the V-Star 950 Tourer. But the more I think about it, the more I think I want something that can handle some dirt. For example, I just moved to Phoenix, and apparently there are some neat old "Wild West" ghost towns around here; but while Tombstone has paved roads going to it, some of the lesser-known ghost towns only have dirt that might not be the best surface for a cruiser.

Also, I'm hoping to do some longer crazier rides later, e.g. going back to my homeland (lived half my life in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories), and maybe driving to Inuvik on the (unpaved) Dempster Highway. (I've been to Inuvik many times, but only ever flew there, never took the road.) I can't see myself going full-dirt crazy, but more and more I think I'd really like something that won't panic when the pavement runs out.

I'm not ready to pick a specific bike just yet, but my two "data points" are that 1) I just finished reading Neil Peart's Ghost Rider (his story of riding 55,000 miles over 14 months on his R1150GS after the death of his daughter and wife in 1997-98), so the R1200GS is definitely on my brain, and 2) I remember hearing about the Super Ténéré coming out a couple of years back and thinking "Hmmm, that looks interesting." So when the time comes, I might test drive those two to start.

My big question, though, is as a new-ish rider who's never ridden on dirt before (not even any teenage mini-bike adventures), how would the transition from "small-ish cruiser" to "1200 adventurer tourer" be likely to go? What sorts of things should I watch for? What are good ways to get some "beginner practice" on dirt/rocks/gravel? Stuff like that. I did some searching here, but didn't find any "n00b" threads (and if there are such out there, I'd love to be pointed in their direction).
robertyknwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #183
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertyknwt View Post
My big question, though, is as a new-ish rider who's never ridden on dirt before (not even any teenage mini-bike adventures), how would the transition from "small-ish cruiser" to "1200 adventurer tourer" be likely to go? What sorts of things should I watch for? What are good ways to get some "beginner practice" on dirt/rocks/gravel? Stuff like that. I did some searching here, but didn't find any "n00b" threads (and if there are such out there, I'd love to be pointed in their direction).

Going from dirt to road is a pretty easy transition. The other way is more difficult and especially with a behemouth. A GS or Tenere are about the toughest there are to handle off pavement. I cringe for broken legs, ankles, collar bones.

If you are going to be a road rider that occasionally saunters down a dirt road you'll manage. If you want to become a proficient offroad rider then get a dualsport and go out and ride, ride, ride. Get some buddies and get some time in. Take a class with Rawhyde or Jimmy Lewis. And don't ride a pig offroad with hard panniers. It's a great way to run over your own leg.

Either are a good long distance tourer. Both are difficult on low speed handling - they're both heavy.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #184
robertyknwt
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Going from dirt to road is a pretty easy transition. The other way is more difficult and especially with a behemouth. A GS or Tenere are about the toughest there are to handle off pavement. I cringe for broken legs, ankles, collar bones.

If you are going to be a road rider that occasionally saunters down a dirt road you'll manage.
Thanks. I think that's my most likely niche. The worst roads I would anticipate riding would be the Dempster Highway (Dawson YK - Inuvik NT) and the Liard Highway (Fort Nelson BC - Fort Simpson NT). Near here, the ghost town trail is probably the worst I'd see, and I gather much of it isn't too bad at all.

We're just finishing the purchase of a house, so once all the dust settles and we see what the monthly budget ends up looking like....
robertyknwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #185
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,614
Some of the gravel roads north can be trecherous, especially at speed or when wet. TKC's are popular for the big bikes, as are Heideneaus and Fullbore USA's. Everything is fine till you get to the shoulder or get run off the road.

There are adventure bikes for every budget. For lesser money the older GS's are great, even a V-Strom. For new, there's also the S10, Guzzi Stelvio, and the Triumphs - 800 and 1200. The triumphs are nothing like days of old. They are really fine machines now, some are saying the best. If you're not going to ride dirt, or only smooth dirt, a good road bike is also enjoyable. The new honda 700 is getting a lot of praise. You really don't need a liter-plus bike to tour.

Definitely take an advanced riding course. That's one thing BMW is really good about, getting new riders or old riders going again. Rawhyde is good for learning to ride a GS competently.

I've ridden pretty much all of them, owned a 'strom 1000 when they were first out, and have now landed on the Tiger 800XC. For me it checked all the right boxes. A trip north is coming up one of these summers if ol' lady ever gets back to work again.

I have one for primarily road and primarily dirt.
My tiger in touring form:

And my dualsport that sees tougher dirt routes. I'd probly take it to BC to ride the mountains and trails up there. Will do gravel roads at 70 all day, and tougher two-track jeep trails.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #186
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Ok since you have it narrowed down to the S10, Stelvio and GS running in a distant 3rd, how about some kind owners of those bikes that are semi local go down and give this guy a ride?

Maybe the OP could put a request in the regional forums as well?

Would be a hell of a lot easier than trying to get a dealer to offer up a test ride. (something that is only done here on used bikes) Even the Spokane BMW dealer doesn't do test rides.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #187
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,075
Get the OP to put his location on his intro.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #188
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
I thought he had stated where he lived but reading the thread again only resulted in rural Louisiana.

My bad.

Help us out here OP and lets get you a ride so we can end the speculation and get you some real world experience.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #189
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,070
Don't let him near pluric..He does stuff like this..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #190
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Some of the gravel roads north can be trecherous, especially at speed or when wet. TKC's are popular for the big bikes, as are Heideneaus and Fullbore USA's. Everything is fine till you get to the shoulder or get run off the road.

There are adventure bikes for every budget. For lesser money the older GS's are great, even a V-Strom. For new, there's also the S10, Guzzi Stelvio, and the Triumphs - 800 and 1200. The triumphs are nothing like days of old. They are really fine machines now, some are saying the best. If you're not going to ride dirt, or only smooth dirt, a good road bike is also enjoyable. The new honda 700 is getting a lot of praise. You really don't need a liter-plus bike to tour.

Definitely take an advanced riding course. That's one thing BMW is really good about, getting new riders or old riders going again. Rawhyde is good for learning to ride a GS competently.

I've ridden pretty much all of them, owned a 'strom 1000 when they were first out, and have now landed on the Tiger 800XC. For me it checked all the right boxes. A trip north is coming up one of these summers if ol' lady ever gets back to work again.

I have one for primarily road and primarily dirt.
My tiger in touring form:

And my dualsport that sees tougher dirt routes. I'd probly take it to BC to ride the mountains and trails up there. Will do gravel roads at 70 all day, and tougher two-track jeep trails.

Man that is one Bad Ass Husky! Tempted to sale my left nut for that bike. Since my right one is already roasted and ate'n by my wife and kids. Nice set up. You have the best of all worlds.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #191
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

Hey Graham,
If I was paid by Yamaha and didnt have to worry about paying for damages i think most of us would do this also. If it wasnt my bike I would pop up on that boulder just like this dude anytime. Could you imagine being paid to do this!! And not one worry about damaging the bike!! I am sure Graham, you would have some great jumping pics yourself.:
Oh and with the bike set up to do this...Then go home after and see your bike slumbering in your garage after a day of abusing Yamahas test bike..

bd
Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #192
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
You have me confused with Jaumev.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #193
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
You have me confused with Jaumev.
Sorry I saw big air, large rock and instantly thought of bent rims which then led me to think of you...

Jaumev has a totally different laid back kind of style anyway....

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 09:40 PM
Old 05-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #194
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
Hey Graham,
If I was paid by Yamaha and didnt have to worry about paying for damages...

Pluric still does it. He pays for it himself

Woody loves Pluric.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #195
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Pluric still does it. He pays for it himself

Woody loves Pluric.
There, NOW you've got the right guy.