Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #331
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,415
That thing looks awesome, bummed I'm going to miss you race it! Kick some ass!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #332
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
What a weekend!

We had a great weekend, we arrived in Crooked River early Friday evening, set up camp and then did some socializing. Here is a view of the camp area from the top of the race track;

Walking the track with my best buddy;

Met up with VME Prez Dave Armstrong and got a cool VME sticker for the back fender;

Speaking of Dave, he won his first moto on Sunday, not sure how his second moto went, but he was grinning big time after his win!

On Saturday, it was all about trials. Here is a shot of one of the most talented riders I've seen, riding a home made Hodaka trials bike. In this shot, crew chief Randy is in the foreground filming. We called this rider "the tie guy", the tie would be dorky, if he wasn't such a great rider;

Tom Street riding the trial on his 1947 rigid frame Indian. The number one indicates he is riding only the toughest sections;

Here is Randy with some of the T98 pit chicks, they were pretty impressed with the trials riding;

Speaking of pit chicks, here is the whole group with crew chief and rider;

And a shot with the guys, especially the two great nephews;

Pre race bike prep, note use of precision tools;

As for the racing, well...it was a mixed bag. The chassis was slightly better than I'd hoped, but the jetting was wayyyy off. I had ordered jets from a local cafe racer shop and bought what they had, but the range of jets we were able to get weren't small enough for the altitude (2700 feet), we ended up with the smallest jets we had (160), dropped the needle in the slide and it ran kind of ok in some places but would not launch out of the gate or accelerate out of the corners. I had two of the worst starts of my whole career, but was able to catch the pack and pick off a few riders by diving deeper into the corners and then holding on until the motor would come back to life on the exit. Sometimes it would just spit and sputter and they would go right back by. Argh!

As usual, the Sportsman 500 class was a double gate start and in the first moto, I wheelied big time on the start (not enough power to spin the back tire) and as I caught up to the back of the pack there was a huge crash with a couple of bikes cart wheeling off each side. That area was a yellow flag the rest of the race and we continued on. On about the third lap at the one big jump, an expert on a 360 CZ was passing me from right to left, caught a rock with his back tire and became airborne directly in front of me, and slamming into the rider on my left. It was surreal, just an explosion of dust, bikes and riders and then gone to my left. Weird.

Second moto we had made a few little adjustments and hoped for a better start, but it was actually worse. The bike was actually dying on me and I just nursed it into the first turn, got it going and started passing a few back markers. Ended up passing maybe five bikes and was feelign ok, on the second to last lap came off the big jump and on landing must have jarred the points or wiring on one cylinder, because I was suddenly riding a single cylinder bike. Grrr. Took the white flag at half speed and decided to just gut it out and finish, then a few corners later it started running on two cylinders again until the checkers.

Other than the way the bikes was running, it was a fabulous weekend with great friends and family, I even had moment with Dick Mann (my all time favorite hero). Got to spend some time with Tom Street, Tom and I are old friends and raced togethers as dirt track novice pros in 1973, Tom rode a 350 twin for Powrol and I rode another 350 twin for Woodland Honda. Here I am with Tom, after the races;

On the way home we stopped at Tom's and picked up two more SL350's and headed home. The ride home was eventful, at one point I had to turn around and jack knifed the trailer and bent the motor home's rear bumper and then coming off Mt Hood we blew one of the rear duals!

Home at last! Luckily we had Monday off to unpack, clean up and regroup. Whew! Next up is to decide what our next race is and begin prepping. Among other things we'll be getting in a supply of jets and needles for any situation, as well as a thorough check of the electrical system.

Last but not least, weighed the bike just as it was when unloaded, did't wash it and with about a gallon of gas. Weight was 283 lbs. In 2011 when we unloaded from Chehalis in the same condition it weighed 297, so we've made some good progress on the weight. I think we can still take another five pounds off with a little more work.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #333
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
[QUOTE=LC Garage;21352115]

As usual, the Sportsman 500 class was a double gate start and in the first moto, I wheelied big time on the start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHcqsGCBlDY

Ricks wild wheelie!

Yeah, I won both my moto's.
Seattle
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #334
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

[QUOTE=darmst6829;21357516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post

As usual, the Sportsman 500 class was a double gate start and in the first moto, I wheelied big time on the start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHcqsGCBlDY

Ricks wild wheelie!

Yeah, I won both my moto's.
Dave, thanks for sharing, my start looks worse (even more feeble) than it felt...sheesh! At least there's plenty of upside!

Congrats on your moto victories, two wins in one day is pretty awesome, well done!

On another note, I have been contemplating a possible change to a CB350 frame, as it might put me in the Classics and out of Sportsman. The rule book is very specific about the SL350 being in Sportsman (why?) but no mention of the CB350. Don Matthews was trying to get me moved down a class Sunday and asked if it was a CB or CL, so it might make a difference?? I know you went to a lot of effort to build your Bultaco for a specific class and think I may have missed the mark on mine, but perhaps a frame change would get me to friendlier territory?? Thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #335
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,415
Awesome Rick!

Slabbing it home on I 5 I'll give you a call!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #336
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Awesome Rick!

Slabbing it home on I 5 I'll give you a call!
10-4
Old 05-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #337
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
[QUOTE=LC Garage;21359700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829 View Post

Dave, thanks for sharing, my start looks worse (even more feeble) than it felt...sheesh! At least there's plenty of upside!

Congrats on your moto victories, two wins in one day is pretty awesome, well done!

On another note, I have been contemplating a possible change to a CB350 frame, as it might put me in the Classics and out of Sportsman. The rule book is very specific about the SL350 being in Sportsman (why?) but no mention of the CB350. Don Matthews was trying to get me moved down a class Sunday and asked if it was a CB or CL, so it might make a difference?? I know you went to a lot of effort to build your Bultaco for a specific class and think I may have missed the mark on mine, but perhaps a frame change would get me to friendlier territory?? Thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Hey Rick, I would call Matt at Speed and Sport and ask him about changing the frame for the Classic 500 class. I think you are stuck with Sportsman no matter what. Sorry. Lots of crashes this year and more then I have ever seen at an AHRMA event. My buddy Tadd Dean took a handlebar to the ribs breaking several. Reese Dengler of the AHRMA NW fame hit a downed bike and landed flat on his back eventually sending him to the hospital. I had a good run going and I am claiming that after I polled the old hands in the pits I lowered the tire pressure in the front and rear and found the bike behaved much better in the corners but wagged left and right on the uphill high speed section of the course! The wagging was no big deal but the higher corner speed and secure feeling in the off camber sections made all the difference to me.
Seattle
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #338
niggles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
niggles

Sorry to hear about Reese good thoughts for him and and a speedy recovery. I also raced CRR had a great time on my BSA B44 not good on posting Pics.Great turnout and very competitive racing
niggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #339
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
Sorry to hear about Reese good thoughts for him and and a speedy recovery. I also raced CRR had a great time on my BSA B44 not good on posting Pics.Great turnout and very competitive racing
Yes, hope Reese is ok, thought I saw him walking later in the day but may have been mistaken. There were two pretty serious crashes in our 1st moto alone. wow.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #340
niggles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
niggles

A racer went down in front of me in the 500cc classic expert in the left hand turn going to the finish line but it was because he lost the front, braking hard for the turn.
niggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #341
Pedrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Vintage Racing at CRR...

What a show!!! I came out to watch some friends compete and left jones-ing to get a bike & participate. The CRR venue is so well done, a big kudos to the folks who put this on. I'll figure out how to post some pics & get them in this thread.
Pedrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #342
Pedrom
Gnarly Adventurer

CRR Vintage Race Pics...

OK, trying this out here...

No workie - sorry folks...

If there's a link on how to play (post pics) on this thread; please...
Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #343
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

CRR, AHRMA, etc...

CRR is what racing is all about! As a young rider I thought it was only about winning and was oblivious to the other aspects of racing (teammates, friends, travel, camping, but most of all the camaraderie) and how much all of these things would some day matter to me. We had such a good time just hanging out, visiting the other pits, drooling on the way cool machinery (Nyblod's Jawa, Mike's YZ650F, Street's '47 Indian...and many more), spending time with my crew, friends and family and making good memories, oh and racing a little bit (even if not doing so well ). Any of you that follow this thread and are at any of these events we talk about (AHRMA, OMRA, NORRA), please come over and introduce yourself the next time we are at the same event, would love to visit and we usually have a cold beverage or two to spare.

As far as the class discussion, I followed Dave's advice and contacted Matt, who then directed me to Tom Bentely, NW Region tech guy. Sent Tom an email and hope to hear back soon. I did learn that the NW Region has a class called Early Sportsman Stock (ESS) and it may have been on the sign up form and I just missed it. I also learned that this class was proposed nationally but defeated and in the bikes proposed for this class the SL350 was specifically listed. From what I read, the only possible change needed to make my bike legal would be to put the stock forks and front hub back on, no big deal.

Pedrom; as far as getting a bike and jumping in, that would be awesome, would recommend you contact Tom Street (lives near Bend) as he is a wealth of Vintage racing info and is a pretty helpful guy!

Right now we are thinking our next AHRMA race will be early August near Sutherlin, Oregon. This will give us time to work out our tuning issues and figure out if we are staying in Sportsman or moving to ESS??
Old 05-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #344
Pedrom
Gnarly Adventurer

try & try again - pics...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1368418437
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #345
Pedrom
Gnarly Adventurer