ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
Potosi Joe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
This looks like fun. Did you guys pass through Caledonia? I think I saw you pass the house on Webster RD.
Potosi Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
CamelBill
Ride It!

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
I scouted it out and GPS'ed it mostly with my Versys. But I rode it this week with my WRR. My GS stayed home. It's been done with a KLR, a KTM 500 & 350 and 2 WRR's. I could ride it all with my GS' .... but I won't. So whatever you think. I will post more pictures, to show more of the roads.
It has all been done on a nine-fiddy too, a couple of times matter of fact Just sayin'
CamelBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #18
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,610
Looks like a great ride

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #19
sieg OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potosi Joe View Post
This looks like fun. Did you guys pass through Caledonia? I think I saw you pass the house on Webster RD.
Yep. Is it that cool house with the red barn tin roof 2.5 miles west.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #20
sieg OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just some views from the route.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #21
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 515
Pucky huddle

IN, but OUT, if there is a forecast for three days of (Freezing) rain, severe thunderstorms (SBR). Yes, became wussified over the SBR weekend.
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #22
sieg OP
Beastly Adventurer

No worries, this ride is rain proofed.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #23
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,652
Day 2 Pucky Huddle Ridge

Layton on the right was on his new KTM 500 EXC.

Another plug for my sponsor--------------No-hassle Tassels.

After about an hours riding on the 2nd day----we made it to Davisville, Missouri-------------which is really Pucky Huddle to the locals.

Kerry already had our breakfast started and the bacon is about done-------we didn't order---------she fixed breakfast and we ate it----------simple-------just like at home. Coffee---------get it yourself.
I loved this place.

Lot's of neat old stuff in the store--they had everything--------and a woodstove for heat.

Store---gas station---restaurant---liquor store--post office----fishin' tackle---ammo-----a shoulder to cry on.
Think-------Green Acres.

Out back was a crick.

We left there and this dog was on traffic watch. But I caught him taking a nap.
A real busy intersection.

Ray was on a KLR and was an "A" enduro rider in his day----and it was still his day----------as he could easily out-ride me and he was 70 years old.

We rode right at the edge of this creek---and there was no place to put your left foot if you had to dab.

Sieg helped us old farts out.

A "Bonus" section.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #24
jeffrho
sock guy

Oddometer: 84
Need help?

Seig,
Can i help with any thing for this ride? Spreading the word, orginize the a stop or whatever? Compleated the SBR on th GS and maybe on a newer big bike by then. (990?) Big Dog and Scott thanks for the quick help on the hydrolocked wr250. got it to the top of the hill and popped started it a minnow shot out the tail pipe and it was like ridden behind a humidifier Jeffrho aka ,cupcake

Jeffrho
jeffrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #25
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 935

Subscribed! This looks like it could be a fun weekend!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #26
shortbritches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Thanks Sieg and BigDog for the ride report and pictures. GREAT STUFF!
shortbritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #27
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelBill View Post
It has all been done on a nine-fiddy too, a couple of times matter of fact Just sayin'

YOU make me think bad thoughts...Wee-Strom
Old 05-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #28
CamelBill
Ride It!

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55 View Post
YOU make me think bad thoughts...Wee-Strom
YOU could do it no prob on your Wee
CamelBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #29
Layton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Better late then never for my post about this ride.

First of all, I am not a true adventure rider. Heck, maybe I never will be. I've been riding enduros for more then 40 years and still enjoy single track the most. Needless to say there wasn't any single track on this ride.

That said, the ride was a lot of fun. We actually started from Sieg's house so that added a good 40 miles to the trip each day which will not be on the official ride.

When we left on Wednesday the weather was really nice. Almost to nice as later in the day the temps were in the low to mid 80's which was a little warm.

Right off the bat I somehow got my toe resting on the brake pedal and totally faded the rear brake. Fortunately it came back after it cooled off some. Sieg says that if I rode a 250 that wouldn't happen since the bike wouldn't have had enough power to override the brake but with the mighty 500 it just kept going. Guess I'll have to get a 250.

Next we get to a road by the Mississippi River that is flooded so we have to detour around it and we're not even out of Illinois yet.

Things started going pretty good until the first Big Boy section. There is a picture of the "road". More deep water. Truthfully we possibly could have made that one but why chance it and drown out a bike especially when there was a nice way to get around it.

Just after that BigDog who is bringing up the rear isn't there anymore. Finally Sieg goes back and finds him hung up on a rock in a creek. Hmmm?

Now another Big Boy section with another flooded road. Is there a pattern developing????

Next was lunch in Lesterville. The service was slow but the food was good.
From there we pushed on to Viburnum where we had supper and stayed overnight in the motel.

In my opinion, the ride on Thursday morning from the motel to breakfast was the best part of the ride. It was mostly forest roads and was both a lot of fun and the scenery was great.

After breakfast the ride was pretty good but be advised, it's a good 115 miles with NO gas so make sure you either have a big tank or get good mileage.

Around 1 or so in the afternoon the rain started moving in. We got soaked and I don't think it made much difference what rain gear you had because it rained hard. I mean really hard. Fortunately after about 30 miles it quit and actually got kind of nice out.

About the time we crossed back into Illinois it started getting colder. By the time we got to Sieg's house we saw lots of flooding the the fields so we just missed another rain storm.

So, a non-adventure rider did have fun and yes I would do it again. Sometime... but for now I'd rather be riding single track.

I do think most adventurer riders would have a great time as it was well laid out and had a very good mixture of trails and roads.
Also, there had been a lot of rain in MO that previous weekend so that's why the rivers/creeks were up so much. I wouldn't expect that is September.
Layton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #30
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 1,558
Hey Layton, tell everyone how you used to dominate the steam-powered class at the enduros...and how you beat the Pony Express guy with your custom wooden wheels!