Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #91
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
One of Nicky's complaints at Honda was they wouldn't let him adjust the controls the way he wanted. So maybe you get to select the position and angle within certain parameters depending on what the team thinks is best for you.
I seem to recall hearing something like that also... but it's really difficult to understand why a team/manufacturer would not allow a rider to set the bike up as needed as far as control position goes. How could anyone but the rider possibly know what positions are best?

And Hayden in 7th qualifying and only ~1 second behind pole with that hand on that bike, that's really pushing to make it happen. Respect, that guy works hard.

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #92
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
I seem to recall hearing something like that also... but it's really difficult to understand why a team/manufacturer would not allow a rider to set the bike up as needed as far as control position goes. How could anyone but the rider possibly know what positions are best?

And Hayden in 7th qualifying and only ~1 second behind pole with that hand on that bike, that's really pushing to make it happen. Respect, that guy works hard.
At the time Nicky was riding for Honda their attitude was that the bike mattered more than the rider. It was one of the reasons that Rossi went to Yamaha back then.

Nick has always had a good work ethic. He knows what it's like to wash cars all day at Earls.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #93
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
At the time Nicky was riding for Honda their attitude was that the bike mattered more than the rider. It was one of the reasons that Rossi went to Yamaha back then.

Nick has always had a good work ethic. He knows what it's like to wash cars all day at Earls.
or pick melons
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #94
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I think he's saying street bikes should have wider, flatter bars. His rant was a little hard to follow.
Correct. You understood so it couldn't have been too vague.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #95
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,348
Quote:

FWIW, NH in the post qp interview said the team found out he had a cracked front wheel in in Qatar and Austin that he used during the first part of those qp2 sessions which did not allow him to follow his planned q2 routine.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #96
sailor22
Jay Pegg pusher

Oddometer: 376
Did anyone else think Marq's crash had a lot in common with Simo's?
Both seemed to be low sides where the rider never abandoned the bike. Marq's bike eventually lost traction at the rear and spun out while Simo's got traction and shot him back across the track.
sailor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #97
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,023
Most, if not all of the crashes were 'lost the front' comments from the riders. 99 mentioned problems too.

Race tire selections are gonna be interesting.

All agreed that a hot Jerez is greasy, so if temps are the same tomorrow, it might be a race of attrition more than anything. Bummer. Brought to you by Bridgestone.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #98
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,265
I would LOVE to see Nicky back on something competitive. Looking at that hand and riding what he is riding. Bro is true grit for sure. Hell even a tech 3 ride would be awesome seeing as how they're at least capable of getting up there.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #99
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
Both seemed to be low sides where the rider never abandoned the bike. Marq's bike eventually lost traction at the rear and spun out while Simo's got traction and shot him back across the track.
Scary as hell crash at the start of the Red Bull Rookies Cup race. Bikes touched and one veered off hard left into a steel wall at pit out. A few on Titter says rider OK. But wow was that a scary crash.

From Hayden's twitter
Nicky Hayden@NickyHayden 54m Happy to hear the kid from the rookies cup crash was not injured worse, that crash made me sick at my stomach.... #brothers
Old 05-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #100
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
I seem to recall hearing something like that also... butit's really difficult to understand why a team/manufacturer would not allow a rider to set the bike up as needed
See Ben Spies last season.

The issue with the handlebar position was just the tip of the proverbial iceberg for Hayden at Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
FWIW, NH in the post qp interview said the team found out he had a cracked front wheel in in Qatar and Austin that he used during the first part of those qp2 sessions which did not allow him to follow his planned q2 routine.
That is messed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I would LOVE to see Nicky back on something competitive. Looking at that hand and riding what he is riding. Bro is true grit for sure. Hell even a tech 3 ride would be awesome seeing as how they're at least capable of getting up there.
That isn't going to happen, unfortunately. Nicky better hope the Duc improves and he puts on a show with it.

Crutchlow made kind of an interesting jab at Nicky regarding his own prospects to go to Ducati; he said Nicky was willing to do just about anything to stay at Ducati, including a very rigorous appearance schedule which very few other riders would be willing to agree to.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #101
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Ryder
Cal is well beaten up, he has blood on a kidney, but will race tomorrow.
Damn!

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2013/...ydernotes2.htm
Old 05-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #102
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 368
Also Iannone will race with injuries due to his crash in qualifying. Jerez shows no mercy when the asphalt is heated up...
Old 05-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #103
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
Also Iannone will race with injuries due to his crash in qualifying. Jerez shows no mercy when the asphalt is heated up...
But will not test on Monday. Pramac has no riders available.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #104
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
Yikes!

I hope he's smart enough not to try that in traffic.

That's not the first time MM did something reminiscent of Simo.
I really hope he has abandoned the bully boy passing techniques he was known for in Moto2. So far, he has been respectful of other racers in the MotoGP class. I think he's only going to get better for some time to come.
Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #105
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 230
1. VR
2. JL
3. MM (but crash is likely)
4. DP
5. CC

The big variable will be track temps. VR does well at moderate pace and compromised traction so a late race move up is in order. However, if JL escapes early on the hard rear tire it will be game over. MM wil dice hard as he is good at that but eventually the newish bike, big power and greasy track will catch him out.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote