ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #61
graygoat657
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I will throw in my 2 cents for Middle TN, and Williamson county. The Nashville area splits the difference between the geography of east and west tn. Williamson has great schools, but has a steeper cost of living. We relocated from AZ 8 years ago to Franklin and have been very happy, its a great place to raise a family. Not sure how the job market is for your skill set, but the Nashville economy seems to be weathering the economic storm well. If you want a rural setting, you can get that on the perimeter of Nashville, but the housing prices will vary quite a bit. If I had to do it again, I would take a closer look at Knoxville for the mountains, but between these 2 metro areas, you can't go to wrong.

My folks live in near Rockland, ME and I have been spending summer time in ME for the past 30 years, so I have a small perspective on the transition.
graygoat657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #62
internalcombust OP
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Thanks.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #63
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
Anybody have input on Dayton? Seems to be some great homes there, and good school system.

Google Scopes Trial......I'm not sure the attitudes in that area have changed to much since then..LOL
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #64
internalcombust OP
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmo View Post
Google Scopes Trial......I'm not sure the attitudes in that area have changed to much since then..LOL

Considering the trial was over 88 years ago, I may be able to give them a break on that one......
Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #65
internalcombust OP
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Our house is under contract and pending home inspection it is a done deal! We are coming down to TN for a week in June to get a feel for things. Can not wait!
Old 06-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #66
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
This is all very helpful.
I have a feeling you might like a family of yankees like us. We don't seem to fit in up here.......
I'm from a Northern state as well...most here in TN call me a "damn yankee". Defined by ankee that came and never left... We have been here 20 years and love it!
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #67
internalcombust OP
Yes its dirty, thanks.

We are in tenn for the week and I have to ask, how can none of these small towns have pubs in them? We are trying to find some people to talk to and ask questions in many areas but there doesn't seem to be any local watering holes. What gives?
Old 06-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #68
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
We are in tenn for the week and I have to ask, how can none of these small towns have pubs in them? We are trying to find some people to talk to and ask questions in many areas but there doesn't seem to be any local watering holes. What gives?
Bible belt. The bars are in restaurants. You'll find "regulars" hanging out there.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #69
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
"You're not in Kansas [Maine] now, Dorothy!"

Cultural and economic differences abound with the geographical displacement. The absence of pubs may be a small one, comparing ME with TN. Be prepared for many more, if you're really serious about this move.

Regardless, best wishes with your decision and its results.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #70
internalcombust OP
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Considering our closing is july 18th we are definitely serious. The pub thing isn't a deal breaker, we have just found lots of local flavor at watering holes in our other travels. We are heading up towards nashville today to scout the surrounding areas. If that doesn't tickle our fancy we we plan to head over closer to knoxville. We are ultimately searching for an area with lots of thirty somethings who have kids and things to do locally. The search continues.....
Old 06-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #71
internalcombust OP
Yes its dirty, thanks.

We are just outside of nashville and there is life! This area seems to be more our speed. We are feeling much more positive now. The nissan plant over here is huge. I wonder if they are hiring.....
Old 06-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #72
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,367
PM Hawk if you're going to be in the Crossville area
Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #73
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,169
Quote:
the church ladies are still in control

I have lived in Waverly, Columbia, Memphis and Knoxville TN. Great state. I prefer the east to the west, and the middle is nice Have a sister living in Nashville
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #74
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Bible belt. The bars are in restaurants. You'll find "regulars" hanging out there.
+1

find a good local pizza place with a bar. you'll find the locals
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #75
Hawk
Bainned

Oddometer: 15,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
PM Hawk if you're going to be in the Crossville area
This, and do go to Knoxville. You will love the area, Nashville is also great but Knoxville has easy access to awesome riding and a younger crowd. The weather in Knoxville is also better then what you find in Nashville.

Like Boonie said, when you come through Crossville shoot me a PM. This is not a area you want to settle in, but I'll buy you a beer and tell you all I know about TN. Good place to live.