Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #16
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,649
Here's a list of what I would say are the most common oil's I've seen folks run in the 950/990

Motorex 10-50
Rotella T6
Mobil 1 15-40
Mobil1 20-50

v8toilet screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 08:48 PM
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #17
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 893
So.....

....another oil thread...yippeee

anyway, been looking for a year round oil (for Nebraska, not California) as, while I dont mind (too much) forking out ridiculous amounts of money for Motorex, I hate the thought of leaving winter oil in for summer and vice versa. Today I discovered Maxima Ultra 4T 5W50. Problem solved! I can pay even more than Motorex and have it shipped to my door, or I can drive 400 mile round trip and pick it up in Denver if they special order it for me...for a whole dollar less a liter than the last price I paid for Motorex.

BTW, I am bent over and ready to be reamed by the oil-thread trolls who like to screw with the anal people like me who worry about these sorts of things (those guys that drain oil from their tractors to throw in their Katum and have had 77,000 trouble-free miles)

This year-round oil quest is all about my peace of mind (I do know that more engineering goes on in the advertising department of oil companies than in their labs).

Anyway, anyone used Maxima stuff, or this oil specifically? Anyone know a distributor closer to the Dead-Center?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,186
Well shit while we are at it,

Use 20 - 50 4T dino oil and change it at say 2500 - 3000 miles

or

Use Motorex/similar full syn and change at 4500 miles

Oil experts? lesser? qualilty oil changed more often so cleaner oil or better? quality oil in for much longer

Hope the oil Police don't shoot me but on the road not everything is available at the local store on top of a volcano!!

Maya's engine is quieter with 20 - 50 dino oil ..... so???????
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:16 AM   #19
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 506
I use slippery oil. Sometimes it's brown colored, but usually more of a honey color. One time I actually looked at the wt of oil... Engines like clean oil better though so make sure the jug is hermetically sealed from the factory or else the valves will fall out.

In all seriousness... Sure, run the recommended oil wt (or a step thicker for really hot climates/a step lighter for colder climates), but brand or type is of less importance as long as it's JASO and WA. Even more important is on time and regular oil changes. Just my 2 cents from the last 15 years of oil changes in bikes from crotch rockets to harleys to dirt bikes to dual sports.

(I know I'll get flamed for that statement, but my bikes engines speak for themselves.)
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #20
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
I use slippery oil. Sometimes it's brown colored, but usually more of a honey color. One time I actually looked at the wt of oil... Engines like clean oil better though so make sure the jug is hermetically sealed from the factory or else the valves will fall out.

In all seriousness... Sure, run the recommended oil wt (or a step thicker for really hot climates/a step lighter for colder climates), but brand or type is of less importance as long as it's JASO and WA. Even more important is on time and regular oil changes. Just my 2 cents from the last 15 years of oil changes in bikes from crotch rockets to harleys to dirt bikes to dual sports.

(I know I'll get flamed for that statement, but my bikes engines speak for themselves.)
Sweet, we are in exactly the same boat here .... although the oil didn't taste like honey ....flame suit on too
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote