ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #1381
Sapling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
I heard from Mikki that all roads are closed and gates installed until June 15th... But tank traps???
Sapling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #1382
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Stupid Forest Circus government anus lickers!!! Mrs1911fan and I rode south out of Cashmere, out to the end of pavement at the start of 7100, and I have bad news. There's a gate about a mile in, with this sign next to it:

So we ride around the gate (which i was told was legal) and ride along to the intersection at Peavine Canyon, inspecting the 'roadwork' along the way. Looks like they let somebody's kid play with a Cat. Big rolling waterbars, but not armored at all, which was why I was told the lower section of the road was "temporarily closed". Bullshit. There's no new gravel, and those waterbars won't last long in a good flood.
When riding by the Devil's Gulch trailhead, I noticed two signs on the bridge across the creek- should have taken a pic. One said the trail was closed due to fire danger, and one said that there were "miles of downed trees" though from ride reports I'm not sure how true that is. They are left over from last fall, I'm sure.

So we get up to the Peavine/7100 intersection, and unfortunately my information is correct. Gate has been pulled, and there's a hella tank trap where it was. For reference, Mrs1911fan is 5'9" without riding boots on. I'm about eight feet below her, and she's standing on the narrow ledge that I might ride the XL250R through. The section that winds around the end of the berm is maybe 10-12" wide, and drops several feet into the creek if you goof.

And from the south side, near where the gate useta was:

which may be a better indication of how big-bike unfriendly this section is. Both sides are pretty steep.

I'm pissed as hell about this. If they'd just left it alone, it would still be big-bike rideable, at least it was last fall before the fires. I've been told they are too short on money to repair the big washout, but I'd like to know how much time and equipment hours were wasted pulling the gate and digging this fucking hole. This, after conversations with Bob Stoehr at the Forest Service, who has not been returning my calls for three weeks now. During those conversations last winter, we discussed the WABDR, and he told me that they might be able to make the washed-out section a little safer for two wheels and horses. Lying sack of shit. His direct line at the office is 509-548-2579 if you'd like to ask him about it.
Based on what I see, they have NO intention of removing the lower gate, or ever fixing the road south of the Peavine intersection.
So, if you're riding the WABDR, I'd recommend taking the workaround from the Beehive Reservoir area, through Wenatchee, and then... maybe... over Number Two Canyon, down Peavine, and out Mission Creek into Cashmere. Maybe, because the same .fed guy who told me about the tank trap also told me that the gate at the top of Number Two Canyon might stay closed forever. The gate at the bottom of Peavine, at Mission Creek Road/FR7100, is closed. So you might have to ride through Wenatchee and slab it it Cashmere, then just pick up the WABDR at Highway Two and Nahahum Canyon.
You know, if you roll about 10 miles more, you could be in Leavenworth annoying Bob. Might be worth it.

1911fan
Coordinates to any of which you speak of?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #1383
roostar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Thanks for the info 1911. Come hell or high water, I'm riding as much of this as I can. I'm willing to divert around the bad areas on my Tenere if need be.
roostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #1384
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy View Post
Coordinates to any of which you speak of?
Wow.... you quoted my whole post to ask? lol....

The intersection of FR7100 and Peavine canyon is at 47*22' 20.33" N 120* 28' 23.82" W . Plug that into Google Earth and it takes you to the intersection of which I rant. Imagery is from August 2011 and shows the gate, closed. The new tank trap is at the intersection, and there is a wall of dirt across 7100.
Peavine Canyon is the road running towards the right in the view, 7100 continues to run south from there. I'll wander up there on the 250 and see how bad the washout(s) further south are, but it might be a couple weeks before I get time. Hmm.. maybe longer. End of the month?

The southern edge of the berm, what you see as you ride south out of Cashmere, is to the right side of this pic and is about four feet high. Sorry about the ugly bald guy, that's me.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #1385
Rockaway
Gregtiger800

Oddometer: 85
Quote:

The intersection of FR7100 and Peavine canyon is at 47*22' 20.33" N 120* 28' 23.82" W . Plug that into Google Earth and it takes you to the intersection of which I rant. Imagery is from August 2011 and shows the gate, closed. The new tank trap is at the intersection, and there is a wall of dirt across 7100.
Peavine Canyon is the road running towards the right in the view, 7100 continues to run south from there. I'll wander up there on the 250 and see how bad the washout(s) further south are, but it might be a couple weeks before I get time. Hmm.. maybe longer. End of the month?

The southern edge of the berm, what you see as you ride south out of Cashmere, is to the right side of this pic and is about four feet high. Sorry about the ugly bald guy, that's me.

1911fan
Thanks for the update. Running the route in late July. Have a great day..

Greg
Rockaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #1386
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I heard from Mikki that all roads are closed and gates installed until June 15th... But tank traps???
Sapling...Slightly different area. Mikki is discussing Table Mtn and this is in Mission Creek. Close but in adjoining Ranger Districts.

I can see some of the forest service reasoning. If it is opened in a substandard condition and some dumb ass gets hurt then they (FS) will be sued. If a rider goes around the gate then they take responsibility. It was rather nice in regard to the previous closure. At least then a head on collision with jeep was unlikely. I know what the sign says about the trails and reality. Local users have much of it cleared already.

TONY

George, WA
hayshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #1387
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Yeah, and there are moto tracks through the tank trap already. I wouldn't do it on the Dakar alone, I'd fly it on the 250. I'll bet, like the washout south of this, it gets a little grooming by locals so it's less annoying.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #1388
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
yeah, was felling lazy.

Thanks for the co-ord's I'll post it to the map.

I am working with the BDR foundation to 'remedy' this.

Would you say the current work around on page 1 is still valid?

Maddaddy screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 12:18 PM
Maddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #1389
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

I don't know. The workaround takes you up #2 Canyon, and if my information is correct, that road is gated now, probably about 300 yards below the ridge as you head west. Gate is just past the private cabin if it hasn't moved.
The gate at the bottom of Peavine, which is the canyon you drop into after you crest the ridge west of #2 Canyon, is closed. This gate is visible in the background of my last pic, and is closed. Unknown if/when it will open, and whether or not moto travel is allowed past either closed gate.
I'll try to get up there weekend after next, on the 250, to explore past the berm and the gate. Meantime, the workaround might should continue through Wenatchee and out to Cashmere, where you can pick up the WABDR at Nahahum Canyon.

1911fan

Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #1390
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
What about going out to Blewett Pass close to Haney Meadows (not sure of road number) and heading up over Camas Meadows using Ruby Creek (7204)? It has been a long time since I've been up to Camas but it should send the route down into Cashmere? It might provide more dirt miles and keep the route out of downtown Wenatchee using little pavement. Maybe incorporate old Blewett Pass?

I need to look closer at a map to see if it is even a viable route. Mainly thinking out loud here.

TONY

George, WA
hayshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #1391
Sapling
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
What about going out to Blewett Pass close to Haney Meadows (not sure of road number) and heading up over Camas Meadows using Ruby Creek (7204)? It has been a long time since I've been up to Camas but it should send the route down into Cashmere? It might provide more dirt miles and keep the route out of downtown Wenatchee using little pavement. Maybe incorporate old Blewett Pass?

I need to look closer at a map to see if it is even a viable route. Mainly thinking out loud here.

TONY
Im in for a recon run... if it would stop snowing...
Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #1392
ThrottleThrill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
I believe the FS road by Haney that you are referring to is 9712. While there are ways to get from 9712 to Ruby Creek, it is a handful on a small bike, not well marked, and would be at best brutal on a big bike. Not saying it is not do-able but your average rider would find it way too hard and would most likely want to turn around. But, by the time they realize what they have gotten into, they will find it too steep and narrow to turn a large DS around. Not trying to be negative here - I just know this area very well have spent a lot of time in the area on my 530 and my 990 and am trying to prevent folks from unpleasant surprises. 1911 Fan is on the right track if those gates open.

And on a somewhat related note, what a bummer that the old cabin at Haney was lost to the fire. Outhouses and other structures within a mile made it thru fine but, not the old cabin.

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post

TONY

'09 KTM 990R, '14 KTM 300 Six Days, GasGas 300 Trials, '11 SkiDoo 800 Rev XP X
ThrottleThrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #1393
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrottleThrill View Post
I believe the FS road by Haney that you are referring to is 9712. While there are ways to get from 9712 to Ruby Creek, it is a handful on a small bike, not well marked, and would be at best brutal on a big bike.
Yeah... no. You could drop out of Haney Meadows to Highway 97, head north a few miles to Ruby Creek, north at the top, past Camas Meadows and down the back road into Brender Canyon. Warning, the route from the Meadows to Brender is heavily rutted and may have a new gate about 150 yards from the pavement in Brender Canyon. Not sure if it's a legal gate, and it may be passable- but on how big a bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrottleThrill View Post
IAnd on a somewhat related note, what a bummer that the old cabin at Haney was lost to the fire. Outhouses and other structures within a mile made it thru fine but, not the old cabin.
Yup. I was up there just after the fire was out, and there were remnants of the shake n bake they wrapped it with all around what was left of the cabin. The outhouses at the horse camp were mostly concrete, plus the fire didn't get to that side of the meadows. I'd like to run 9712 from Haney to Beehive to see how mufh fire damage/downed trees there are. Last fall, after the fire, there were a lot of trees right by the road that looked pretty sketchy.
I'm still pissed about the tank trap.

1911fan

Old 05-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #1394
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Updated info

Bob called me back Friday night and we talked a bit. It was maybe legal for me to ride around the lower gate at the time but it is now posted "No motorized Vehicles" at all the gates. The lower/north gate may be opened mid-June. He told me the FS plans to armor all the waterbars up to the new tank trap at the Mission Creek/Peavine intersectionbefore they oen that particular gate. Dunno why they haven't done it; it's already dry up there and the best time (IMHO) to pack in gravel is over. Anything they lay on it now will just stay on the surface.
I asked him about the tank trap and why it was there, he told me it had been decided that the washout south of the gate made the road too dangerous to ride, due to flash floods catching bike riders unaware because they can't hear them coming- apparently mountain bikers can? And escape fast enough? Sometime in the future they may relocate the road so it's not down in the bottom of the canyon. But it probably won't ever be a road again, possibly an ORV-type trail might happen. (Unless they need to log in there, in which case there will be a nice road in about a week, I'll bet.)
SO: The workaround from Beehive Reservoir should now go through Wenatchee and west along Highway to to Cashmere.
I'm still not happy about this. I believe there was little or no public input about blocking off access to excellent riding/hunting/recreational land, maybe permanently. Bob said he put me on the notification list for any updates.

1911fan

Old 05-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #1395
Sapling
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Bob called me back Friday night and we talked a bit. It was maybe legal for me to ride around the lower gate at the time but it is now posted "No motorized Vehicles" at all the gates. The lower/north gate may be opened mid-June. He told me the FS plans to armor all the waterbars up to the new tank trap at the Mission Creek/Peavine intersectionbefore they oen that particular gate. Dunno why they haven't done it; it's already dry up there and the best time (IMHO) to pack in gravel is over. Anything they lay on it now will just stay on the surface.
I asked him about the tank trap and why it was there, he told me it had been decided that the washout south of the gate made the road too dangerous to ride, due to flash floods catching bike riders unaware because they can't hear them coming- apparently mountain bikers can? And escape fast enough? Sometime in the future they may relocate the road so it's not down in the bottom of the canyon. But it probably won't ever be a road again, possibly an ORV-type trail might happen. (Unless they need to log in there, in which case there will be a nice road in about a week, I'll bet.)
SO: The workaround from Beehive Reservoir should now go through Wenatchee and west along Highway to to Cashmere.
I'm still not happy about this. I believe there was little or no public input about blocking off access to excellent riding/hunting/recreational land, maybe permanently. Bob said he put me on the notification list for any updates.

1911fan
User built.... ;)