Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #2056
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
What bike and how many miles so far on that front?
2001 KLR650,6000 miles and counting on the front,I usually run between 35 to 40 psi,no cupping or strange wear yet,if it starts showing signs I may turn it to see if it will go farther.Once I learn how to post pictures Ill do that.
I see the world through KLR eyes

8lives screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 07:58 AM
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #2057
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
2001 KLR650,6000 miles and counting on the front,I usually run between 35 to 40 psi,no cupping or strange wear yet,if it starts showing signs I may turn it to see if it will go farther.Once I learn how to post pictures Ill do that.
I don't have cupping on the front at 20psi off road and 24psi on road. DR650 with 22,000km on the front. Average 12,000km from a rear.

The bike itself is at 120,000km now.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #2058
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,627
Good to hear Nordieboy!
I see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #2059
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,987
Has anyone run a front 705 on a heavy bike like a DL, Tiger or a GS completely out? By worn out, I mean, worn slap. Not removed because it was getting "thin" or it was cupping.

I'm getting close but like others, it's starting to cup pretty bad now and when I get to the end of my 2nd rear tire {one car tire that went 13K and one 705 that looks like maybe 4K if lucky} and man, I really want to run knobbies this go round.

I think the cupping is just a by-product of the mileage these tire give and the fact that I tend to run the fronts at fairly low pressures when playing around the house since they do last so long.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #2060
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,197
Quote:
Has anyone run a front 705 on a heavy bike like a DL, Tiger or a GS completely out? By worn out, I mean, worn slap. Not removed because it was getting "thin" or it was cupping.

I'm getting close but like others, it's starting to cup pretty bad now and when I get to the end of my 2nd rear tire {one car tire that went 13K and one 705 that looks like maybe 4K if lucky} and man, I really want to run knobbies this go round.

I think the cupping is just a by-product of the mileage these tire give and the fact that I tend to run the fronts at fairly low pressures when playing around the house since they do last so long.
Low pressure and braking is what cups a front.
Why not just replace it? Front tires are cheap. Tires do not have to be replaced in pairs. And these are cheap tires anyway.
For a knob, TKC. Or for more aggressive, a scorp rally. The latter works really well everywhere, but I wouldn't push them really hard on a big bike, although many do on 950/990's with 606's and 908's. I ran one of the rallies on the front of a TE630 for about 3K miles and it was stellar, railed the corners on tar and very stable off - no washing out unless you really pushed it.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #2061
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:

Nope, mine always cup before they are completely used up.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #2062
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Low pressure and braking is what cups a front.
Why not just replace it? Front tires are cheap. Tires do not have to be replaced in pairs. And these are cheap tires anyway.
For a knob, TKC. Or for more aggressive, a scorp rally. The latter works really well everywhere, but I wouldn't push them really hard on a big bike, although many do on 950/990's with 606's and 908's. I ran one of the rallies on the front of a TE630 for about 3K miles and it was stellar, railed the corners on tar and very stable off - no washing out unless you really pushed it.
'Cause I'm trying to get an accurate handle on just how long a front 705 will last. And yea, I know,,,,, tires don't have to be replaced in pairs. And that's exactly what I was commenting on. My front will have 16K miles on it when this 705 on the rear goes away and while I really want to use it completly up, I don't want to live with a worn front and have a knobby on the rear. Nothing ground shaking and it isn't rocket science, was just thinking out loud,,,, or typing out loud as the case may be.

My DL650 uses a 17 rear so the choices in knobbies isn't no where near that of your Husky. I've tried the Big Blocks and now I have a second rear wheel that I bought just to be able to readily swap to knobbies and it has a TKC on it. Still have a pretty good front Big Block so that's what I'll be running for knobbies,,, least untill that TKC craps in about 2.5K miles.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 05-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #2063
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
Nope, mine always cup before they are completely used up.

Yea,,, you are right in that a tire that will return as many miles as these front 705s will deliver will just cup naturally but as the other guy and I stated stated, low pressures and hard braking will exacerbate the issue. Pump it up rack hard and do all your miles easy touring and the cupping will not be near as bad nor will it happen as quickly in the tire's life.

The last front I removed had around 12-13K miles {if I rememeber right} on it when it was removed and it showed hardly any cupping compared to this one. It was run at pretty high pressures most of it's life and I was very easy on it with a 9K mile trip on it at one time where I was treating the tires with kid gloves trying to get the rear to last {and it did, barely}. Only when I got home, lowered the pressures and started playing did the c.upping even start to appear
Blue Skies Coming
Old 05-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #2064
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:

I run them very successfully on my 955 Tiger. Front always cups beyond usefulness long before wearing out. Mind, that is at 20,000 + kms. I go through 2 rears to a front generally. By the way, pressure seems to have little effect, as I normally run 40+ psi in the front all the time, and they still cup. Its the nature of a deep and spaced out tread pattern flexing on braking. No amount of air pressure is going to cure it in my experience.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #2065
whodat90
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I have a DL1000 that I just ordered a 705 for. Question is, which front to go with it? The rear is a radial, but the front is available in both radial and bias, with the radial being more expensive. What's the consensus?
whodat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #2066
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodat90 View Post
I have a DL1000 that I just ordered a 705 for. Question is, which front to go with it? The rear is a radial, but the front is available in both radial and bias, with the radial being more expensive. What's the consensus?
You should run the radial front to match the rear.

And unless it's old stock, I thought they stopped making the front 705 bias 19" tire in the Vstrom sizes? In fact when we put the 705's on my wife's F650GS single which runs the 130 or 140 rear and only comes in bias, I had to look to go find a used bias 19" front to match.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #2067
whodat90
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Dunno. They have both at revzilla.
whodat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #2068
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodat90 View Post
Run a radial if you can get it, otherwise a bias is fine on front. You just don't want a radial in front and bias in back, can't remember why. Maybe it's a non-issue as well.

Anyway, in 17/19 radials are what's available.

On the XC it has a radial rear in 150/70-17, and a bias front in 90/90-21. Works fine, run the piss out of 'em everywhere, on and off pavement.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #2069
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,396
I have run bias/radial mix front and back,back and front for years..no issues!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #2070
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
Yea,,, you are right in that a tire that will return as many miles as these front 705s will deliver will just cup naturally but as the other guy and I stated stated, low pressures and hard braking will exacerbate the issue. Pump it up rack hard and do all your miles easy touring and the cupping will not be near as bad nor will it happen as quickly in the tire's life.

The last front I removed had around 12-13K miles {if I rememeber right} on it when it was removed and it showed hardly any cupping compared to this one. It was run at pretty high pressures most of it's life and I was very easy on it with a 9K mile trip on it at one time where I was treating the tires with kid gloves trying to get the rear to last {and it did, barely}. Only when I got home, lowered the pressures and started playing did the c.upping even start to appear
But that's not any fun at all!
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote