Old 04-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
That truly sucks!

When did that happen? Is it permanent?

The usual seasonal winter- closure only, by the looks of it.
Can't find anything more than that through all the German/ Dutch/ French speaking bike and outdoors forums.

http://alpenrouten.de/Tenda-Colle-di..._point500.html

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:57 AM   #17
Bussy OP
Bussy

Oddometer: 19
Ok, so now we have complete clarity on the situation with Col de Tende, we can re-focus our attention on my (me me me !!!) trip

The only part of the trip I would really consider to change is the 'loop' on Day 2, which is there to take in Alpe d'Huez and to have 2 goes at the Galibier. This could be forgone to take in say, Gorges du Verdun later in the trip, or some of the roads south of Grenoble. Any opinions on the relative merits...?
Bussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:13 AM   #18
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bussy View Post
Ok, so now we have complete clarity on the situation with Col de Tende, we can re-focus our attention on my (me me me !!!) trip

I wouldn't make a trip to the Alpe d'Huez again, unless I was passing by anyway. The appeal is to bicycle riders. As a motorcycle destination it's a nice ride - although a bit crowded at the top.

I'd opt for the Vercours area SW of Grenoble - the Col de la Machine, Col de Rousset, the Gorges de la Bourne (see below)

and the Combe Laval, along with a smattering of smaller passes can make for a busy day or two. And no crowds.

If you're interested, PM me with your email address and I'll send you Google Earth KMZ files of the passes that I've hit (each captured at the pass hohe) as well as the GPS tracks of my last half-dozen rides (broken into daily segments).
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #19
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post

I wouldn't make a trip to the Alpe d'Huez again, unless I was passing by anyway. The appeal is to bicycle riders. As a motorcycle destination it's a nice ride - although a bit crowded at the top.

I'd opt for the Vercours area SW of Grenoble - the Col de la Machine, Col de Rousset, the Gorges de la Bourne (see below)

and the Combe Laval, along with a smattering of smaller passes can make for a busy day or two. And no crowds.

If you're interested, PM me with your email address and I'll send you Google Earth KMZ files of the passes that I've hit (each captured at the pass hohe) as well as the GPS tracks of my last half-dozen rides (broken into daily segments).
+1

This is not your 'overrun by tourists' area, and let's keep it that way! Which roads/passes? This is where the Michelin maps, or equivalents, are essential, run the green highlighted routes. East and northeast of Valence.

The Gorges of Verdon are okay but it's too far for you if that's all you want from that area.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #20
Bussy OP
Bussy

Option to include Vercours

So here's an alternative...I could trade in my Day 2 loop to include a run through Vercours.

Then Day 3 I have to get back to Jausiers to continue most of my original Day 3.

I am sacrificing some time on Col d'Izoard on my way North to South (still will ride it on way back South to North) and miss out Alpe d'Huez, Cols Glandon and Croix de Fers and second run though Galibier. In return I get almost a whole day riding in the Vercours including Col de Rousset and the Gorges de la Bourne.

Both days are about 330km so have added a bit but I still think this mileage is ok.

This must be better...don't you think?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #21
ptr
Elefant-Tamer

Oddometer: 57
tende

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch_oz View Post
The usual seasonal winter- closure only, by the looks of it.
Can't find anything more than that through all the German/ Dutch/ French speaking bike and outdoors forums.
pls excuse as im insisting ... nothings clear with the tende ... but you may report the actual situation after crossing, i would appreciate. thx

No ABS. No CAT. No INJECTION. Certainly not 4CYL nor 16V.
just FUN
ptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #22
Bussy OP
Bussy

No problem, insist all you like ptr. If you read the thread you will notice that the conclusion was to save Col de Turini and Col de Tende for another year but I am sure someone will soon be able to confirm for you one way or the other.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #23
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So here's an alternative...I could trade in my Day 2 loop to include a run through Vercours.

Then Day 3 I have to get back to Jausiers to continue most of my original Day 3.

I am sacrificing some time on Col d'Izoard on my way North to South (still will ride it on way back South to North) and miss out Alpe d'Huez, Cols Glandon and Croix de Fers and second run though Galibier. In return I get almost a whole day riding in the Vercours including Col de Rousset and the Gorges de la Bourne.

Both days are about 330km so have added a bit but I still think this mileage is ok.

This must be better...don't you think?
It looks good to me but I'll defer to MichaelJ since he's been there much more than I. The first time I road through there I was just in-transit from Valence toward the Italian Lakes and made a note to go back. The second time I spent a day covering as much of Vercours as I could. I think that region was the one where I used a lot of giga in my GoPro.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:00 AM   #24
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

It would appear that you could do a quick up and back on the Alpe d'Huez, since you're passing right by it.

There's a "back road" from Le Freney-d'Oisans that leads to the Alpe (it goes along the hillside rather than in the valley) that is on my list to explore the next time that I'm in the area.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #25
Bussy OP
Bussy

Any experts on the Vercors area with an opinion on my route through there?
Old 05-04-2013, 03:30 AM   #26
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Any experts on the Vercors area with an opinion on my route through there?
"Expert" is pretty strong language

Consider this (my GPS track from 2011):

Instead of going straight down the valley after the (closed) entrance to the Grands Goulets, head towards Saint-Jean-en-Royans, picking up the other half of the Gorges de la Bourne, and then head south up the Combe Laval and the Col de la Machine, then heading back east towards Vassieux-en-Vercours and the main road south to the Col de Rousset (see red line above - you want the main route - not the spurs to the east and west).
Old 05-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #27
Bussy OP
Bussy

Looks like a good suggestion, thanks MichaelJ.

I've just had a spanner in the works regarding my 5 day pass from the wife. Looks like my timing of 1st week Aug is out

Have renegotiated, but might have only 4 days and most likely now will be early July. That should mean less busy/traffic, right? Gutted if I lose a day
Old 05-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #28
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks to your post, I've decided to make a run back to Vercors this week. And, as a bonus, on the way I'll stop by the village where Keira Knightley got married recently. There might be some champers left over.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:03 AM   #29
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,082
I love the Gorges du Verdon, one of my favorite places on Earth and a great road(s). But not in July/August. You will get stuck behind tour buses and RV's and hate it. Keep it for a September/October trip to the Cote d'Azur.
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #30
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I've just had a spanner in the works regarding my 5 day pass from the wife. Looks like my timing of 1st week Aug is out

Have renegotiated, but might have only 4 days and most likely now will be early July. That should mean less busy/traffic, right? Gutted if I lose a day
Bummer. Early July will be MUCH less crowded, though.

On the bright side, you may see me roaming around (look for this).

Try and avoid the weekend of 13-14 Jul in France - it's Bastille Day and the country shuts down and finding a room is almost impossible. DAMHIK

In the Vercours, check out the Hotel Marronnier in Rencurel - it's motorcycle friendly. We (The alpineroads.com crew) had our 2011 meet there.

Oh yeah - and work on the wife for at least 6 days

And remember - it's almost always easier to get forgiveness than permission