ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Hammy713 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Oddometer: 22
H-D Street Glide or Tiger 800xc

I'm aware where I'm posting this but I need to make a decision. These bikes couldn't be much farther apart except they both have two wheels.

I need to get something my wife will be comfortable on 2up. I also plan on taking my 7 year old son with me a lot but most of the time I will be solo.

If anyone has had both but could only have one bike for now, which would you get? How is the 800xc at 2up for the passenger.

I'm about 175 lbs and my wife about 135 so we're not huge. I do live on a dirt road with a long dirt driveway and the Tiger would love it I'm sure. I guess my biggest hang up is the comfort and selling the Tiger as "the one" to my wife. She is kind of set on the Street Glide and it's plushness on the road. I like the freedom of the Tiger and would be all over the dual sport aspect of it.

Any thoughts? Oh yeah, and the Tiger is almost half the price.
Hammy713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
hdxbones
Adventurer
 
hdxbones's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: CT
Oddometer: 40
My wife loves my Road Glide, she's not too interested in the Uly. When I ride by myself, I usually prefer the Uly. Tough choice, but if I could only have one, it would be the big Harley-

__________________
'11 Road Glide
'09 Ulysses

Motorcycle rich, cash strapped.....

hdxbones screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 03:53 PM
hdxbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...
 
WARRIORPRINCEJJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: South Central Texas
Oddometer: 9,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy713 View Post
...Any thoughts? Oh yeah, and the Tiger is almost half the price.

You are absolutely right; You'd couldn't be further apart. It's like asking, "Which one?...Ford F-350 or a Prius?"

Despite the fact that the StreetGlide doesn't have the suspension travel of an ElectraGlide, I would still think that it's got the 800 beat, in terms of plushness. It (SG) definitely has the 800 beat in terms of creature comforts: stereo, cruise(?), easily upgradeable windshield and seat, etc.

If your wife has already tried the SG on for size, and liked it, I would think that a ride on an 800 is only gonna' solidify her position.

As long as your driveway and road are not part of the District 37 Hare & Hound series, the StreetGlide should be fine.

It kinda' sounds to me like you want the 800, and your wife wants you to get the SG. So, at this point it's just a matter of whether you want her to ride with you or not.


Just remember; When mama's happy, everyone's happy...


.
__________________
I spent all my money on motorcycles, 4X4's, whiskey, and women...The rest I just wasted. (edited to fit/original phrase by "WIBO")

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
timspong
Gnarly Adventurer
 
timspong's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Ashburn VA
Oddometer: 221
I would go with the HD. Lots of fun to ride around the speed limit and will last forever. Unless you have a dealer near you the triumph might be a bit of a pain of something goes wrong.

Why a street glide? Out of the baggers that would be last on my list. Least ground clearance of all of them. Personally I like the road king. You can add a quick release tour pack and fairing for touring and take them off for around town.
timspong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer
 
JustKip's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Fresno, CA
Oddometer: 3,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
If your wife has already tried the SG on for size, and liked it, I would think that a ride on an 800 is only gonna' solidify her position.
That's what I was thinking too, but also, you need to be realistic about how much she will actually ride with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timspong View Post
Why a street glide? Out of the baggers that would be last on my list. Least ground clearance of all of them. Personally I like the road king. You can add a quick release tour pack and fairing for touring and take them off for around town.
SG would be the last of the touring line I would be interested in too. You get much better suspension with a Road Glide or Electra glide, or the RK but you don't get the same touring comfort as the other 2.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
blk-betty
bam-a-lam
 
blk-betty's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 2,291
Sorry can't speak to the Tiger 800 but I had an '06 Street Glide when I "discovered" adventure riding and wanted something more off-pavement worthy but knew 90% of my riding would be on pavement. Ended up with a Tiger 1050 and loved the engine but if not hustling down the road at a quick pace or ripping through the twisties it was just, well boring.

When I bought the Tiger a buddy and I had a cross country trip planned and after a few weeks of ownership I was really thinking I would sell the Street Glide upon return. Afterall, it's a big fat heavy slow, poor handling, poor braking bike or so that seemed to be the vibe from the inmates here. So three days into the trip I was wishing I was back on the big HD. Sold the Tiger within a month after returning home.

I like the idea of the 800 but I realized that if I really wanted to do off-pavement riding I needed something even smaller and lighter than the 800 so I picked up a used DR650 and love it for what it is.

I traded the Street Glide on a '12 Road Glide Custom. There is absolutely no difference in the suspensions between the various HD touring bikes other than the Street Glide and Road Glide Custom come with 12" rear shocks whereas the others have 13"...front suspensions are all the same. I prefer the minimalist look of the Street Glide and Road Glide Custom with less chrome and accent pieces but swapped for a set of the longer 13" shocks. You can pick up a set of the 13" takeoffs brand new for $100 and get the same ride height as the other baggers. I picked up a detachable tour pack for the SG and only needed a newer mount to use it on the RGC as the frames changed in '09.

So now I have the '12 RGC, an '09 DR650 and an '09 XR1200 and if could have only one bike, it would be the Road Glide no question.

Both the Tiger 800 and Street Glide are great bikes and you wouldn't go wrong with either. Just have to decide which one better addresses first your needs, and second your wants.
__________________
Any day on a dirt road is a great day
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
T
Yippee Ki Yay
 
T's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: DE
Oddometer: 5,041
Better keep momma happy.

__________________
Inconsequential Adventurer
T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Big Jon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: SW Iowa
Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
Better keep momma happy.


The only way to do that is to actually convince her that you can't afford the Harley...
__________________
JON
Big Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
scapegoat
Pushin forward back
 
scapegoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Out west.....somewhere
Oddometer: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxbones View Post
My wife loves my Road Glide, she's not too interested in the Uly. When I ride by myself, I usually prefer the Uly. Tough choice, but if I could only have one, it would be the big Harley-

Were twins bike wise...sort of. I have a Uly and Electra Glide. The Glide for two up with the misses, solo its the Uly 90% of the time.
To the OP,that's a tough Choice to make with 2 totally different bikes made for 2 different uses. Id say be honest with yourself and ask where the miles will be racked up, on the highway with 2 or solo and in the dirt often.
__________________
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,555
One's a fully loaded Cadillac, the other is a fully loaded Frontier...

Both will do what you're asking but the Frontier can go places the Caddy can't
__________________
Life is short, talk is cheap...so fu%^ what people say
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
Tennessee Goat
Adventurer
 
Tennessee Goat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Bradford, Tennessee
Oddometer: 29
Just traded my 11 Electra glide for a 13 800xc. HDs touring bikes are fine machines for what they are, big heavy bikes. I like the way the HD handles the road in high winds and it was super comfy even 2 up but that's all the good I have to say about it. The trump is quick nimble and can get more places and I'm not inclined to wash it every time it gets a speck of dirt on it. It wheelies nicely too.
__________________
The true test of a mans spirit, is his ability to outrun and pile drive a wild animal. " Aristotle"
Tennessee Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer
 
2tallnwide's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Nature Coast, Florida
Oddometer: 2,240
That's about the strangest which one duo I've seen here, congrats..

If the better half doesn't like the 800, and you've got the coin for a SG why not try the Explorer, or one of the other big adventure touring bikes? The Explorer has shaft drive, traction control, cruise control, etc. It's not as dirt worthy as the 800, but it should be a lot better on a dirt road than a SG. Besides, the adventure bikes look even better dirty, you'd polish yourself crazy trying to keep the pig clean...

We don't live off of a dirt road, but we do have 3/10ths of a mile gravel driveway, and the paved roads I mainly ride are far from cruiser friendly. I'm just glad neither one of my wives like(d) the back of a HD, Lord knows I can't stand the rider's seat on any of them.
__________________
If you're gonna dish it out make sure it tastes good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: NE Georgia
Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Sorry can't speak to the Tiger 800 but I had an '06 Street Glide when I "discovered" adventure riding and wanted something more off-pavement worthy but knew 90% of my riding would be on pavement. Ended up with a Tiger 1050 and loved the engine but if not hustling down the road at a quick pace or ripping through the twisties it was just, well boring.

When I bought the Tiger a buddy and I had a cross country trip planned and after a few weeks of ownership I was really thinking I would sell the Street Glide upon return. Afterall, it's a big fat heavy slow, poor handling, poor braking bike or so that seemed to be the vibe from the inmates here. So three days into the trip I was wishing I was back on the big HD. Sold the Tiger within a month after returning home.

I like the idea of the 800 but I realized that if I really wanted to do off-pavement riding I needed something even smaller and lighter than the 800 so I picked up a used DR650 and love it for what it is.

I traded the Street Glide on a '12 Road Glide Custom. There is absolutely no difference in the suspensions between the various HD touring bikes other than the Street Glide and Road Glide Custom come with 12" rear shocks whereas the others have 13"...front suspensions are all the same. I prefer the minimalist look of the Street Glide and Road Glide Custom with less chrome and accent pieces but swapped for a set of the longer 13" shocks. You can pick up a set of the 13" takeoffs brand new for $100 and get the same ride height as the other baggers. I picked up a detachable tour pack for the SG and only needed a newer mount to use it on the RGC as the frames changed in '09.

So now I have the '12 RGC, an '09 DR650 and an '09 XR1200 and if could have only one bike, it would be the Road Glide no question.

Both the Tiger 800 and Street Glide are great bikes and you wouldn't go wrong with either. Just have to decide which one better addresses first your needs, and second your wants.
Interesting. I am somewhat confused. If you made the decision NOT to keep the Tiger, why are you still reading this thread? Second guessing perhaps?
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: NE Georgia
Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Sorry can't speak to the Tiger 800 but I had an '06 Street Glide when I "discovered" adventure riding and wanted something more off-pavement worthy but knew 90% of my riding would be on pavement. Ended up with a Tiger 1050 and loved the engine but if not hustling down the road at a quick pace or ripping through the twisties it was just, well boring.

When I bought the Tiger a buddy and I had a cross country trip planned and after a few weeks of ownership I was really thinking I would sell the Street Glide upon return. Afterall, it's a big fat heavy slow, poor handling, poor braking bike or so that seemed to be the vibe from the inmates here. So three days into the trip I was wishing I was back on the big HD. Sold the Tiger within a month after returning home.

I like the idea of the 800 but I realized that if I really wanted to do off-pavement riding I needed something even smaller and lighter than the 800 so I picked up a used DR650 and love it for what it is.

I traded the Street Glide on a '12 Road Glide Custom. There is absolutely no difference in the suspensions between the various HD touring bikes other than the Street Glide and Road Glide Custom come with 12" rear shocks whereas the others have 13"...front suspensions are all the same. I prefer the minimalist look of the Street Glide and Road Glide Custom with less chrome and accent pieces but swapped for a set of the longer 13" shocks. You can pick up a set of the 13" takeoffs brand new for $100 and get the same ride height as the other baggers. I picked up a detachable tour pack for the SG and only needed a newer mount to use it on the RGC as the frames changed in '09.

So now I have the '12 RGC, an '09 DR650 and an '09 XR1200 and if could have only one bike, it would be the Road Glide no question.

Both the Tiger 800 and Street Glide are great bikes and you wouldn't go wrong with either. Just have to decide which one better addresses first your needs, and second your wants.
Interesting. I am somewhat confused. If you made the decision NOT to keep the Tiger, why are you still reading this thread? Second guessing perhaps?
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe
 
Celtic Curmudgeon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Boca Raton
Oddometer: 274
Having ridden both bikes, here's my .02.

The best solution (if you can get away with it), is to have two bikes - one for two up riding, one for hooliganism.... Having been on both a Street Glide and Road King, my wife just doesn't want to ride pillion on anything short of an 800lb cruiser or tourer. For paved roads, few bikes ride more comfortably than a big Harley.

I love the 800XC, but it's even less a good 2-up bike than my Caponord (which she doesn't like, either).

My plan is to get either a Rocket III, RoadKing, or Vulcan 2000 for two-up, and keep the Capo for knocking around by myself. I might eventually trade it for a Supermoto, maybe a DRZ or Dorsoduro....
__________________
Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. - Jeremy Clarkson
Celtic Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014