Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Is this normal for a clutch?

I have an '07 990 Adventure.

I find this a bit strange and am wondering if something could be wrong, and, if so, what I should be looking at.

In neutral, I pull the clutch in completely, shift into 1st gear and, immediately after, the wheel starts to turn a bit, then stops (all the while the clutch lever is completely pulled in).

I understand that some drag is normal with a wet clutch, from what I have been told.

Here's the strange(r) part. When I slowly release the clutch lever, the wheel slowly starts to turn, as would be expected. With the clutch lever 0-25% released (75-100% pulled in), I am able to completely pull the clutch lever in and the wheel will eventually stop spinning (since the engine is disengaged). But, after a certain point in releasing the clutch lever, the wheel will continue to spin even if I pull the clutch lever all the way back in.

Is this normal? The clutch line is pretty clear of air since I have bled it quite well. I am also using Johnson's Baby (mineral) oil as clutch fluid.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
I have an '07 990 Adventure.

I find this a bit strange and am wondering if something could be wrong, and, if so, what I should be looking at.

In neutral, I pull the clutch in completely, shift into 1st gear and, immediately after, the wheel starts to turn a bit, then stops (all the while the clutch lever is completely pulled in).

I understand that some drag is normal with a wet clutch, from what I have been told.

Here's the strange(r) part. When I slowly release the clutch lever, the wheel slowly starts to turn, as would be expected. With the clutch lever 0-25% released (75-100% pulled in), I am able to completely pull the clutch lever in and the wheel will eventually stop spinning (since the engine is disengaged). But, after a certain point in releasing the clutch lever, the wheel will continue to spin even if I pull the clutch lever all the way back in.

Is this normal? The clutch line is pretty clear of air since I have bled it quite well. I am also using Johnson's Baby (mineral) oil as clutch fluid.

You doing this on the center stand? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. Wet clutch. I think there is always a bit of drag in the system. My 07 has always acted similar when doing that on the center stand, and I have never had an issue with it while riding the bike. As long as it doesn't bog down or die while you are on the bike with the clutch pulled in, you should be fine. 60,000 miles on the original clutch on my bike.

crashmaster screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 09:33 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,731
some things to check?

If you could be sure your clutch is properly oiled and the central nut properly torqued, nothing more to do. As crashmaster says if you have no draging when you are siting on the bike, nothing to worry about.
Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 11:45 PM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,754
Totally normal. I lube my chain in 2nd gear (aginst many warnings on ADV) and it acts exactly like that.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Totally normal. I lube my chain in 2nd gear (aginst many warnings on ADV) and it acts exactly like that.
Lol, I do that too... You've been warned though? LOL!!!
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #6
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Well, that works for me too, and I have been warned too. I just do what works, and it works well for me anyway. Actually, with the DID ZVMX, I haven't lubed the chain at all, nothing, nada, and it lasted easily 15K miles, probably would have went 25K miles. X-ring chains: good technology IMO. In my travels, chain cleaner and lube was not readily available, so every once in a while, like every few weeks, I would just wipe the chain off with a diesel soaked rag (free at any petrol station) and everything was fine. Dont get too wrapped up about taking care of a good x ring chain, they just plain work and work well.

crashmaster screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 01:37 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:33 AM   #7
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
I used baby oil when my slave failed. It "worked" but was way too thick. The spring in the master was not powerful enough to force the lever back up after it was pulled. I used the appropriate Magura oil once I got the aftermarket slave on. No more problems.

Some drag on the clutch is normal. At times, I notice that blipping the throttle on my 950 at a light with the clutch pulled in reveals a little bit of drag. No worries, though.
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #8
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Yes. I have been doing this on the centre stand. Just found it strange that the tire kept spinning past a certain point of no return when releasing the clutch. Past this certain point, the only way to stop the tire from spinning was to apply the rear brake.

Just being paranoid, I guess. Getting the bike ready for another big trip.

Next up is a valve adjustment.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
The Plates are wet from oil so they stick a bit, as soon as you apply some resistance to the back wheel the plates stop sticking. If u apply no resistance to the back wheel the plates just keep sticking togeather and the wheel keeps spinning.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #10
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
its the best way
Old 05-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #11
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,945
if the bike is cold the oil will be more viscous, this also makes the clutch behave differently than intended. Also using different oil can change the clutch action.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
The Plates are wet from oil so they stick a bit, as soon as you apply some resistance to the back wheel the plates stop sticking. If u apply no resistance to the back wheel the plates just keep sticking togeather and the wheel keeps spinning.
^ this. My 990 does the same thing 40k on the clutch no problem. Its noisy but doesn't slip or anything crazy.
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #13
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,691
Similar to first engagement

Normal (as all have said) but just like the harshness when putting it in gear after start up if you blip the throtle a couple times and just as you let it go back to idle click it in. Seems to break-up the sticking a bit.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 90
It may be that I'm a bit odd (what do you mean, "very odd"?), but I always find the bike works much better with the rear wheel on the ground so the clutch can perform it's prime function!

Seriously though, this is probably completely normal. If the clutch works well when riding, there's nothing to worry about.

Cheers... Paul
tinwelp is offline   Reply With Quote