ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #76366
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
probably just preaching to the converted, but just in case you needed convincing....

What the hell, not a single sweet jump.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #76367
RideAlongAtlas1
IS GOOD ! ! !
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 147
3 separate compartments or 1 big bag? Luggage investigations

Expedition riders,

Any preferences between Giant Loop versus Wolfman versus Hard-Case-Options ?
I require them to be 100% waterproof. I require them to store food, camping stuff and a laptop computer. Enough 'stuff' to survive camping out for, say, 7 days.
In theory, I see an advantage in 3 separate compartments because one might be able to distribute the load more evenly, especially with a top case which can carry the hard stuff, and the side panniers can carry the more soft, lighter stuff.
The Giant Loop has the advantage of being one unit, hugs the bike, but I'm concerned that if I buy a Giant Loop distributing the load might 'get to me'. Am I wrong in thinking that one big bag could present more problems than cures?
__________________
See my DR650 motovlog here https://www.youtube.com/ridealongatlas

RideAlongAtlas1 screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 07:39 AM Reason: Spelling errors
RideAlongAtlas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #76368
acap650
acap650
 
acap650's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Western PA
Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAlongAtlas1 View Post
Expedition riders,

Any preferences between Giant Loop versus Wolfman versus Hard-Case-Options ?
I require them to be 100% waterproof. I require them to store food, camping stuff and a laptop computer. Enough 'stuff' to survive camping out for, say, 7 days.
In theory, I see an advantage in 3 separate compartments because one might be able to distribute the load more evenly, especially with a top case which can carry the hard stuff, and the side panniers can carry the more soft, lighter stuff.
The Giant Loop has the advantage of being one unit, hugs the bike, but I'm concerned that if I buy a Giant Loop distributing the load might 'get to me'. Am I wrong in thinking that one big bag could present more problems than cures?
Camping gear can get wet so I like to have at least two pieces of luggage. Put a wet tent in with a dry item and soon you will have two wet items. Learned this from HelenTwoWheels.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #76369
MATT0404
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MATT0404's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: PA
Oddometer: 138
Thanks for your replies, everyone. The bike was dropped once in the mud on the left side over a month ago. Very low speed with no damage but, I will certainly check the shift lever.

The oil has not been changed yet as I was waiting for my first service. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that shift characteristics can change when the oil needs changed.

I rode the DR to work this morning again and haven't had a single missed shift into 3rd. I'll report back after changing the oil and having the bike serviced. Thanks again, guys.
__________________
F800GS
Super Sherpa
MATT0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #76370
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer
 
JagLite's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Oddometer: 1,092
Cool2 Great video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
probably just preaching to the converted, but just in case you needed convincing....
Thanks for the laughs mate!
Well done video

How about a comparison video shoot-out?
DR vs. KLR
DR vs. KTM
DR vs. BMW

Would be great fun to make, and to watch
__________________
Attitude ~
The difference between
Ordeal and Adventure
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #76371
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 2,098
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f38_1367634726

82,000 miles condensed into 10 minutes. Very nice. I feel like such a schlub when I see things like this. "I rode Arizona....or Utah..." Whoopee.

Guys on here like Shu, Grifter, Jay, Adam, JP, SprintST....others I've forgotten....hats off to ya.
__________________
www.dualsportmoto.com
2005 DR650 2003 DRZ-250
2013 HD Road King '73 Hodaka Wombat

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #76372
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post
Thanks for your replies, everyone. The bike was dropped once in the mud on the left side over a month ago. Very low speed with no damage but, I will certainly check the shift lever.

The oil has not been changed yet as I was waiting for my first service. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that shift characteristics can change when the oil needs changed.

I rode the DR to work this morning again and haven't had a single missed shift into 3rd. I'll report back after changing the oil and having the bike serviced. Thanks again, guys.
A common problem I've seen happens when the shift lever is bent IN a bit.
This can make it hard to shift as lever bumps into engine case.

Simple fix. Pull out lever a bit.

One guy could not shift the bike at all. He figured the Trans was blown up.
He was ready to start parting out the bike!!! I took a quick look, pulled out the lever ... all good.

The shift forks could be bent but unlikely. Many have crashed the DR on the left without messing up shift forks. It DOES happen ... but I don't think its that common.

So CHECK THAT SHIFT LEVER! Also, make sure it's not wobbly on there.
Tighten up bolt. Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #76373
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAlongAtlas1 View Post
Expedition riders,

Any preferences between Giant Loop versus Wolfman versus Hard-Case-Options ?
I require them to be 100% waterproof. I require them to store food, camping stuff and a laptop computer. Enough 'stuff' to survive camping out for, say, 7 days.
In theory, I see an advantage in 3 separate compartments because one might be able to distribute the load more evenly, especially with a top case which can carry the hard stuff, and the side panniers can carry the more soft, lighter stuff.
The Giant Loop has the advantage of being one unit, hugs the bike, but I'm concerned that if I buy a Giant Loop distributing the load might 'get to me'. Am I wrong in thinking that one big bag could present more problems than cures?
This is how it's done:
(photos borrowed from Colebatch's RR, see link below)


Check out Colebatch's ride report here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834987

If your covering long distance over rough terrain ... Colebatch's system works pretty well for most bikes. He's riding an X Challenge and his buddies on KTM 690's. The DR is a better cargo carrier than BOTH of those bikes.

I prefer panniers, low hung and forward. Top bag of some kind.
7 days is a shake down ride. A real "expedition" may go a bit longer.

I've tried hard cases on my DR:

Baja around 2007. Too much weight at round 45 kgs. messes up handling off road.

Went back to soft panniers and top bag. Much preferred

25 kgs.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #76374
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 7,077
Those Twaron/Kevlar A-Spec Magadan saddlebags that Colebatch uses are sweet. They're also a bit expensive, and they seem like you'd want the sideracks to extend a bit lower than needed with some other bags...to keep them away from the wheel or swing-arm. They keep the weight far down on the bike though.

If you don't need that much space, the Wolfman Expedition saddlebags and racks keep everything tight to the bike. Look how the weight of the loaded bags is supported by the straps too, and not the fabric or stitching. Some people use stiffeners inside them for easy loading and to keep them from being floppy when not full. I'd use PacSafe mesh around soft luggage like this if security is a concern.

Internal drybags or stuffsacks in the saddlebags and topbag can also be handy. Some people even use drybags in the tankbag, tank panniers, etc.

I try for weight distribution when packing too. We ride 2up a lot, so we sometimes carry a lot more stuff than I would solo. I use a large front fenderpack (freakin' huge Moose dualsport on a brace), large tank panniers, medium tankbag, above-headlight rack, tooltube, soft panniers, Givi hard topcase, and pockets. I pack mostly just weather-proof soft items in pockets of mesh riding gear...rain liners, balaclavas, hydration bladders, etc. I try to pack heavy items on the bike low. The DR actually still rides pretty good. I don't currently use sideracks. I just use an extra aluminum shield, stood off over the muff, and the saddlebag on the left rests against my tooltube. My tailrack is the Suzuki accessories rack with a Givi plate on it.

If you use a SPOT, keep it on YOU. Putting it on the bike is almost useless in an emergency, IMO, if you and the bike get separated and can't be reunited.

Kommando screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 12:45 PM
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #76375
B1
Carbon-based bipedal
 
B1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arse-trailer
Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post

Thanks for the laughs mate!
Well done video How about a comparison video shoot-out?
DR vs. KLR
DR vs. KTM
DR vs. BMW
Would be great fun to make, and to watch
we had a half hearted shot at a comparison vid here but you can't really have an FE570 and a gs800 in the line up. might have a crack at comparing the DR with the TE610 and 690r though, you do see guys trying to choose between these.
B1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #76376
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer
 
JagLite's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Oddometer: 1,092
Thumb Moto vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
we had a half hearted shot at a comparison vid here but you can't really have an FE570 and a gs800 in the line up. might have a crack at comparing the DR with the TE610 and 690r though, you do see guys trying to choose between these.
Thanks, nicely done... but...
I was thinking in line with the humor of the "Awesome DR" video.
Things like the DR crossing a stream with ease but the KLR and other falling or getting stuck. the DR flying a jump and the KLR going half as far with a nose down landing. the DR plowing through mud while the other bike weave and tip over or bury the rear wheel. The DR mastering a hill climb that the other bikes won't attempt or fail to make.

Humor, not reality.
Top Gear antics, not MotorTrend boring.
Might be difficult to round up a few volunteers on the other bikes but if you tell them you are providing the beer and girls to serve it...
Tell them you are making a comedy, not a reality show.

How about having a DR rider easily pass the other bikes in gnarly terrain and the stop to wait for the others to catch up. The other bike riders remove their helmets and talk about how difficult, scary, and exhausting that section was... Then the DR rider removes HER (!!) helmet and says "Really? I thought that section was a breeze."

Heh-heh-heh
__________________
Attitude ~
The difference between
Ordeal and Adventure
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #76377
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
Humor, not reality.
Sounds like most of our rides...
__________________
DR650 Wiki
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 AM   #76378
lpnb
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 5
I am amazed you say that....really amazed. I found the quality great and no probs here.

4 of us over here bought the Seat Concepts seats and none of us have had a major complaint. We spent 2 weeks and 8000km on them. what we all agreed on though is that short term you think they might be uncomfortable, but spend the day in the saddle it does not get worse, it kinda gets better! I don't want to go softer thats for sure.

Quality seat for a great price.....and a little bit DIY if you like that.
I always get off the bike feeling fresh-ish and neadly always comment to myself how great the seat is...so maybe it depends on the bum (mines boney) and the bike. The DR650 one is a good compromise.
I bought it based on + reviews and - ones on the corbin/sargent....not to mention the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
......
How many other seats have you tried besides stock? The two Seat Concepts I tried were not good, IMO. One on a Husky 630, the other on a Yamaha 1200 Tenere'. The Tenere' owner ditched the Seat Concept seat after one ride. Called it a "half measure". I have to agree. It's a frickin cheap kit ... assembled by an amateur. (the owner!)
lpnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #76379
shaddix
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Central AL
Oddometer: 647
Seat concepts seat feels plush on my bum. I weigh about 190. Too bad I'm selling the DR soon... But that seat is great imo...
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #76380
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnb View Post
I am amazed you say that....really amazed. I found the quality great and no probs here.

4 of us over here bought the Seat Concepts seats and none of us have had a major complaint. We spent 2 weeks and 8000km on them. what we all agreed on though is that short term you think they might be uncomfortable, but spend the day in the saddle it does not get worse, it kinda gets better! I don't want to go softer thats for sure.

Quality seat for a great price.....and a little bit DIY if you like that.
I always get off the bike feeling fresh-ish and neadly always comment to myself how great the seat is...so maybe it depends on the bum (mines boney) and the bike. The DR650 one is a good compromise.
I bought it based on + reviews and - ones on the corbin/sargent....not to mention the price.
Good to hear of the good reports. Remember ... I've never ridden a DR650 with the Seat Concepts. A Husky 630 ... and only got a report from the Tenere' owner. He went with a Renazco.
The Husky guy re-did his Seat Concepts, got different foam and paid a pro to staple it up properly. (He had it on un even) I haven't ridden the Husky with the redone seat. It now looks good, seems a bit wider and firmer.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014