Oddometer: 205
Just a heads up for the 90-91 DR650 riders

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DR650...0550e2&vxp=mtr
Old 05-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #76367
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
My DR is now PERFECT!

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #76368
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post
A question for you guys. I'm just hitting ~850 miles on my bike and I noticed the last couple of days I've been missing 3rd gear a lot. At first I thought it was due to my error but, today I paid close attention to the upshift from 2nd to 3rd and it won't engage on the first attempt. The second attempt will engage but not the first. It will downshift fine, just won't shift from 2nd to 3rd on the first try. Any thoughts on troubleshooting this? I am scheduled to have the bike serviced soon and was going to mention it to the service tech but figured I'd ask you guys, too.
Have you changed the oil yet? Is the clutch cable adjusted properly? Is the shifter lever contacting anything when you shift?
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #76369
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
My DR is now PERFECT!

Can't arguenwith that
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #76370
Davis53
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Looks great! I was thinking about going with these bags, too. I have the Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag and have been very happy with it.

A question for you guys. I'm just hitting ~850 miles on my bike and I noticed the last couple of days I've been missing 3rd gear a lot. At first I thought it was due to my error but, today I paid close attention to the upshift from 2nd to 3rd and it won't engage on the first attempt. The second attempt will engage but not the first. It will downshift fine, just won't shift from 2nd to 3rd on the first try. Any thoughts on troubleshooting this? I am scheduled to have the bike serviced soon and was going to mention it to the service tech but figured I'd ask you guys, too.
I would install a magnetic drain plug, you may find it picks up something. Just a guess, but might not be nothing at all.
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #76371
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
...last couple of days I've been missing 3rd gear a lot. At first I thought it was due to my error but, today I paid close attention to the upshift from 2nd to 3rd and it won't engage on the first attempt...
I know it's new but has it been dropped on the left side?
A left side tip over can jam the shift mechanism and bend a shift fork.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #76372
stretch160
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Looks great! I was thinking about going with these bags, too. I have the Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag and have been very happy with it.

could be a bent shift fork. does it ever pop out of gear under load?
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #76373
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,078
probably just preaching to the converted, but just in case you needed convincing....

B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #76374
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
probably just preaching to the converted, but just in case you needed convincing....

What the hell, not a single sweet jump.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #76375
RideAlongAtlas1
IS GOOD ! ! !

Oddometer: 146
3 separate compartments or 1 big bag? Luggage investigations

Expedition riders,

Any preferences between Giant Loop versus Wolfman versus Hard-Case-Options ?
I require them to be 100% waterproof. I require them to store food, camping stuff and a laptop computer. Enough 'stuff' to survive camping out for, say, 7 days.
In theory, I see an advantage in 3 separate compartments because one might be able to distribute the load more evenly, especially with a top case which can carry the hard stuff, and the side panniers can carry the more soft, lighter stuff.
The Giant Loop has the advantage of being one unit, hugs the bike, but I'm concerned that if I buy a Giant Loop distributing the load might 'get to me'. Am I wrong in thinking that one big bag could present more problems than cures?

RideAlongAtlas1 screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 06:39 AM Reason: Spelling errors
RideAlongAtlas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #76376
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAlongAtlas1 View Post
Expedition riders,

Any preferences between Giant Loop versus Wolfman versus Hard-Case-Options ?
I require them to be 100% waterproof. I require them to store food, camping stuff and a laptop computer. Enough 'stuff' to survive camping out for, say, 7 days.
In theory, I see an advantage in 3 separate compartments because one might be able to distribute the load more evenly, especially with a top case which can carry the hard stuff, and the side panniers can carry the more soft, lighter stuff.
The Giant Loop has the advantage of being one unit, hugs the bike, but I'm concerned that if I buy a Giant Loop distributing the load might 'get to me'. Am I wrong in thinking that one big bag could present more problems than cures?
Camping gear can get wet so I like to have at least two pieces of luggage. Put a wet tent in with a dry item and soon you will have two wet items. Learned this from HelenTwoWheels.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #76377
MATT0404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Thanks for your replies, everyone. The bike was dropped once in the mud on the left side over a month ago. Very low speed with no damage but, I will certainly check the shift lever.

The oil has not been changed yet as I was waiting for my first service. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that shift characteristics can change when the oil needs changed.

I rode the DR to work this morning again and haven't had a single missed shift into 3rd. I'll report back after changing the oil and having the bike serviced. Thanks again, guys.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #76378
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Cool2 Great video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
Thanks for the laughs mate!
Well done video

How about a comparison video shoot-out?
DR vs. KLR
DR vs. KTM
DR vs. BMW

Would be great fun to make, and to watch
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #76379
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,911
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f38_1367634726

82,000 miles condensed into 10 minutes. Very nice. I feel like such a schlub when I see things like this. "I rode Arizona....or Utah..." Whoopee.

Guys on here like Shu, Grifter, Jay, Adam, JP, SprintST....others I've forgotten....hats off to ya.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #76380
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Thanks for your replies, everyone. The bike was dropped once in the mud on the left side over a month ago. Very low speed with no damage but, I will certainly check the shift lever.

The oil has not been changed yet as I was waiting for my first service. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that shift characteristics can change when the oil needs changed.

I rode the DR to work this morning again and haven't had a single missed shift into 3rd. I'll report back after changing the oil and having the bike serviced. Thanks again, guys.
A common problem I've seen happens when the shift lever is bent IN a bit.
This can make it hard to shift as lever bumps into engine case.

Simple fix. Pull out lever a bit.

One guy could not shift the bike at all. He figured the Trans was blown up.
He was ready to start parting out the bike!!! I took a quick look, pulled out the lever ... all good.

The shift forks could be bent but unlikely. Many have crashed the DR on the left without messing up shift forks. It DOES happen ... but I don't think its that common.

So CHECK THAT SHIFT LEVER! Also, make sure it's not wobbly on there.
Tighten up bolt. Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote