User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #91
BMW JEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
OE Tires on the new boxers

All of the new WC's at A&S here in Sacramento are outfitted with the Tourance Next.

Those are actually receiving better reviews than most predicted. The treads are quite different from the Tourance and the EXP, but they are deeper cut threads than pics do justice. If I bought new GS, I'd give those a chance before immediately buying any other of the newer dual sport tires. JMHO.

Curt

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” ― John Lennon
BMW JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:31 AM   #92
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,130
Metzeler karoo 3

I've seen them and ridden them on a new GSW. Felt great on the street. Not nearly aggressive enough for dirt riding. Headed in the wrong direction for me as is the Anakee.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 02:28 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #93
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 861
Just a heads up, I got an email from RevZilla telling the Karoo was available for order. I've got a 3k mile old K60 on right now so I won't need new rubber for awhile but would love to hear how this handles in the real world.

***Edit-Open mouth, insert foot once again. Sorry guys. I had told them to email me when the tire was available, but had apparently picked the tire size for my DR650 90/90-21. That shows as available but no love on the GS sizes yet. Sorry!!
The Lost Texan, Wanders East

Tex76 screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 10:31 AM
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #94
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
Just a heads up, I got an email from RevZilla telling the Karoo was available for order. I've got a 3k mile old K60 on right now so I won't need new rubber for awhile but would love to hear how this handles in the real world.
Thats GREAT news,hopefully it means others will have them soon.I found a place that has them almost 10% cheaper and I don't need them for another month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #95
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Aargh. It's Sunday. Of course they're available. lol Now to go check.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #96
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Still says no gotty. Hmm. Won't let me order.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #97
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post

***Edit-Open mouth, insert foot once again. Sorry guys. I had told them to email me when the tire was available, but had apparently picked the tire size for my DR650 90/90-21. That shows as available but no love on the GS sizes yet. Sorry!!
Oh. That's real fucking helpful. Thanks. ;)
Old 05-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #98
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

They appear to have the 21 front 18 rear. Maybe I ought to buy that 950 Erzberg.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #99
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
I've seen them and ridden them on a new GSW. Felt great on the street. Not nearly aggressive enough for dirt riding. Headed in the wrong direction for me as is the Anakee.
How would you compare it to a Tourance (not EXP) or Anakee II? Any more dirt road friendly?
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #100
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Metzeler karoo 3

Can't compare it on dirt. I was taking a wild ass un-educated guess based on what it looked like. Sorry. Shitty eval. On the street it tracked true. That 120/170 combo held a nice line through some smooth 40's (but I didn't wick it up that much as the nervous owner was following me. Probably ran it about 6/10ths as opposed to my usual 8/10ths.) Grooves are deep so maybe..but I just don't see it.

Woodbutcher has a new A3 and he says straight up and down dirt is OK but the grooves don't run all the way to the edge and more aggressive dirt riders are complaining of no traction when leaned over.

I gotta think this is similar.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #101
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Can't compare it on dirt. I was taking a wild ass un-educated guess based on what it looked like. Sorry. Shitty eval. On the street it tracked true. That 120/170 combo held a nice line through some smooth 40's (but I didn't wick it up that much as the nervous owner was following me. Probably ran it about 6/10ths as opposed to my usual 8/10ths.) Grooves are deep so maybe..but I just don't see it.

Woodbutcher has a new A3 and he says straight up and down dirt is OK but the grooves don't run all the way to the edge and more aggressive dirt riders are complaining of no traction when leaned over.

I gotta think this is similar.
I have the A3s waiting to go on. I was just repeating what I heard about their performance. I hope to get them mount this week, so I'll try them out on the weekend.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #102
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Well, I picked up my bike and have about 5 miles on the new Karoo 3. Obviously, that doesn't say anything but later today, I will have a bit longer of a ride including several miles on the interstate and it will likely be raining this afternoon.

In the 5 miles, I didn't notice anything annoying on the street. It isn't rough but I can feel the knobs as I slow to a stop. There is a very slight vibration in my feet but nothing that I would consider a problem. Noise so far seems to be just slightly more than the Tourance that I had.

Again, this is very preliminary and so far, I only have the rear tire. No word yet on when the front will show up at the dealer. It will be several days before I can even cut through a pasture with the tires and I would likely wait until I have the front anyway.

The good news is, I actually have it!!!

cliffy109 screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 12:16 PM
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #103
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Metzeler karoo 3

Well, I gave in and ordered an Anakee2. Losing too many riding days below 100. Ran the traps again and still can't find any.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 12:20 PM
Old 05-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #104
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
I got a 37 mile ride home last night on the new Karoo 3 rear tire. I still haven't taken it off road, but the street performance got a test. I am VERY happy with it. I was worried about a number of things since I primarily commute with my bike. I am pleased to report that the tire has road manners that are up to the test.

I rode on interstate at speeds from stopped up to something past 80. There was some extra noise, but not horrible. It was actually worse at 60 than it was at 80 because at the higher speed, the wind noise drowned it out. Even at 60, it really wasn't bad but I did notice it.

Stability was fine as well. It might have been slightly (and I mean very slightly) twitchy at high speeds when passing a semi truck, but nothing dangerous. Coming off the Tourance tire, I could only notice a minor difference. Were I getting on to the bike for the first time, I likely would not have even noticed.

Vibrations were also nearly non-existent. Its a motorcycle for goodness sake and it should vibrate a little. I'm not even positive it was more than with the worn out Tourance tire that came off it.

Cornering was where I was most happy. I didn't take it to a track, but I did hit my favorite stretch of twisties on the way home. I took it at a pretty good clip but not at the absolute limits. It felt nicely planted and never gave me one of those "oh crap" moments. I'm sure the Tourance would be better at the extremes, but I was going fast enough to put a big dumb grin on my face so that is enough for me.

Again, this is only the rear tire so far. No word yet on when the front will be here. I'm hoping it is soon as my front is in pretty bad need of replacement as well. If the tire lasts like Metzler claims they will, I will be very happy. I'm sure they will be fine for my off-roading purposes and it was really the street performance that worried me. I still need to see how they do in the rain, but overall, I am very satisfied so far.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #105
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

My guess is that if it did that well in the twisties before 50 miles you are gonna love it at 200.