Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Moto Support for St. George Ironman 70.3

Did moto support for St. George Ironman 70.3 yesterday. Good times. I carried the same photographer I had last year. He wanted pics mostly in Snow Canyon which was fine with me. This was the crux of the bike route and the most scenic area.

Here's the Vulcan with the magic green sticker that lets you ride anywhere for the day. This pic is just below the Dixie sign on Red Hills Parkway.

A few of the men leaders on the steep climbs in Snow Canyon. These guys were all pushing big gears and moving quickly up these grades. The shorter course, 70.3 vs. the full Ironman really kept the pace fast. Impressive athletes.

My photographer laying down to get his shots. This was a bit later, but still early in the pack. These racers have a bit more of a sense of humor. One called out to ask me if the guy in the white helmet was dead. The lead 25 pros guys never talked, picked up their heads or made eye contact. All business.

The beginning of the amateur riders in Snow Canyon.

We drove back down to the bottom of Snow Canyon to get pics of riders dropping into the dip. Enjoy 10 feet of downhill before the big climb.

Center of town at T2, the transition from bike to run.

Bikers dismount.

My photographer stayed in town to photo the run. I went back out to Snow Canyon to get some pics of the signs and encourage the stragglers. Still quite an accomplishment.

I heard a few of the cyclists laughing as they passed this sign.

Excellent weather. No wind. Very fast times. Men's winners had overall times of less than 4 hours.

More signs in Snow Canyon.

At the top, just before the big right turn and the fast run back in to St. George.

Ironman will want more moto volunteers in St. George next year. The 70.3 format is a huge success. Many more pros and amateurs. If you have a bigger moto and want to carry someone two-up, plan on it for next May. Also have moto job for single riders. Excellent event.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote