Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
kingbee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
What is all that white stuff in your photos???
Special deal, this week only: FREE SNOW to all Texans! You haul it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthy1 View Post
Nice report! Thanks.
You're welcome, and thanks for reading.

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,103
DEET is in the truck. Nearly a year in south Florida, I think I am still oozing out of my pores.

Long underwear goes with me all the time too.
Folks think you are stupid when you are working in the south during the winter and have insulated Carhartts in your tool box.
Until it's 18 degrees in the morning

I have a dirt bike, dual sport and a street bike.
Looking like I should bring the dual sport.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #18
kingbee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hooray hooray the first of May
12 more inches on the way

The snow was ALMOST all gone from my yard, now this. A "Winter Storm Warning". That's how it goes in 'da U.P.

Actually, it doesn't always snow in May. Sometimes it snows in June.

I love it here. Really.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #19
kingbee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Stinko de Mayo dere, eh?

Last week in the western U.P. we enjoyed widespread flooding followed by a snowstorm that broke a 100 year old record. True to the adage, "If ya don't like the weather, just wait a while and you'll probably like it even less." We got over 15 inches of wet heavy snow, and some areas got even more. Now the forecast is for more warm weather and that means, you guessed it, more flooding.

But today the sun tried to shine, and the temps attempted to reach 40, so I rode!

The pavement is clear, but the back roads still look like this:

Or this:

While some are more like this:

I got stopped on this particular road by a washed out culvert, the victim of last week's snowmelt no doubt. I considered jumping the gap but decided not to... the old culvert was in my way.

One good thing: I am getting better at riding in snow...

It was when I was viewing the ducks and geese swimming on the water treatment plant's pond that I realized it was Cinco de Mayo. As far as I know, there's no connection between waterfowl and May 5, but that's when it popped into my head. Riding in snow on Cinco de Mayo. Hmmm...
Oh yes, here are said 'fowls on aforementioned treatment pond:

Lousy picture I know.

These photos probably make the U.P. look like a dream destination, and I'm sure all reading this want to move here right away. But belay there! In the weeks to come, as the roads and trails dry out, I'll show you the uglier side of the yoop, it's seamy underbelly. And then you'll see why you must stay far away...

Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #20
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,103
It was 75 in WV today.
I enjoyed it after a long, cold winter.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #21
kingbee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In which the Queen and I go in search of roads with no snow and lakes with no ice.

On Monday the forecast for Friday was "clear, sunny, high of 59", which excited me since I was off on Friday. The Queen said she wanted to go riding with me so that got me even more excited (I excite easily). But as the week wore on the forecasted high steadily dropped to the mid 40s, which it turned out to barely make. But it was indeed clear and sunny so we bundled up and rode.

My family has a place ("cottage" is too grandiose, but it's not quite a "shack" either) on a lake in Presque Isle, and since I'm the uneducated but handy member of the family, it's down to me to do the springtime ritual known as "opening it up". This involves putting in the docks, getting the plumbing going, clearing fallen trees, etc. This ritual is scheduled for next weekend, so we decided we should swing through P.I. and see what the ice was looking like, i.e. was it gone yet.

We made a big swing of back roads through parts of Mercer, Winchester, then Presque Isle. Still snow in the shady parts along G:

Long Lake in Mercer still had ice on most of it; I was hoping our lake looked better than this:

I guess I should mention here that our place is on a island, thus our preoccupation with the ice situation.

More of the lousy roads we have to put up with around here:

Got to the landing and the lake looked like this:

The view across to the island:

Looks okay for next week, except that the water is gonna be stupid cold for wading and the putting in of docks. Maybe the queen will volunteer...

After a snack we decided to check out the dirt roads in the Ottawa N.F. on the way home. Clear for the most part but with a few sections that looked like this:

The Queen found her lake:

Tried to take a Super-Secret Local Shortcut into Wakefield but came to this:

Actually there was an easy go-around but I figured it might get worse, and it was getting late and our son and daughter-in-law were coming over for the weekend so we skedaddled home on the slab.
Oh yeah, we saw wolf tracks on the SSLS:

A look at our loop, about 104 miles in all:

For those interested, the Queenbee is finding her Seat Concepts saddle very comfy. Highly recommended.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #22
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,605
Looks like a nice ride.....I spent Saturday putting my dock in the lake....during the middle of a snowstorm!

At least I was smart enough to wear waders.

We need to get together some time this summer (if it ever arrives) and do a "couples" ride. My wife rides a little TW200.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #23
kingbee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I feel like such a liar. I started this thread to show off some of the crummy riding we have here in the U.P. and so far all I've done is ride in Wisconsin. And this installment is no different. In my defense though, I'd like to say that the trails and woods around here are still super wet & muddy, and although the snow is gone we've been getting more than our share of rain. So I've been forced south to drier regions, and that's my story.

We spent the weekend opening the cabin in Presque Isle, and I had ridden the bike down in the rain Saturday planning to take the long way home Sunday if the weather wasn't too crappy. Sunday turned out nice so at about 2 I headed south.

Crab Lake Road is a fun twisty bit of blacktop:

Things are starting to green up- you can just about watch the popple buds opening.

Stopped in at a state forest campground:

Nice place but I was in for a shock when I saw what I'd have to pay if I ever decided to stay there. Holy wah!

Bit too rich for this yooper. Guess I'll be camping dispersed. Or not at all.

Took in a portion of a track Cannonshot published that goes through the state forest. (Thanks Bryan!) The roads and tracks down here are nice and dry, in spite of the heavy rain we'd gotten the day before.

Chimney's still there:

Found 1 rogue patch of snow . Wanted to urinate on it but didn't have it in me if ya know what I mean.

Overall about 130 miles to get home. I had wanted to swing up into the Ottawa and take some of the forest roads home for the last leg, but due to a late start from P.I. I ran out of time. Still a great ride. I think the Queen would have liked it.

I'll try to get some more actual U.P. pictures into this thread next time I go out. Till then, thanks for lookin'

Cheers
Old 05-23-2013, 05:12 AM   #24
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbee View Post
Crab Lake Road is a fun twisty bit of blacktop:
EPIC road. I've forgotten how many times I've scrubbed in new tires on that road.

At the north end of it on Co. B, take a right towards LOL, go 3 miles and there's my parents old driveway. About 1/2 a mile before Zastrow's. They sold that house and moved back into Mercer.

So what years did you go to Lakeland? I was in high school during the mid 90's. I didn't know too many people there but knew a few. My dad's business had me all over the Nort'woods stringing wire and fixing electrical stuff where I met MANY more people.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #25
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Oh, how I miss Michigan. Keep the pictures coming
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #26
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,216
Hate the UP. I'll never go back. Very nice RR.
exoff-roadgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #27
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,504
Love the UP. Thanks for the pics. Our family had a cabin on Golden Lake between Watersmeet and Iron River for over 20 years. Wishing we still had it.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #28
kingbee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbastard View Post
EPIC road. I've forgotten how many times I've scrubbed in new tires on that road.
Yeah, it's a fun road. County P is another good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbastard View Post
So what years did you go to Lakeland? I was in high school during the mid 90's. I didn't know too many people there but knew a few. My dad's business had me all over the Nort'woods stringing wire and fixing electrical stuff where I met MANY more people.
I was there in the mid '70s, then after I graduated I moved away till '94. Most of the people I knew from back then are still here.

No riding this weekend, but things seem to be drying out in the woods, so next weekend looks good.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #29
kingbee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Love the UP. Thanks for the pics. Our family had a cabin on Golden Lake between Watersmeet and Iron River for over 20 years. Wishing we still had it.
Nice. My son and Daughter-in-law live in Alpha, so we drive right by there fairly often. I've never stopped to check the lake out though; I'll have to do that some time. There's a guy with a cedar sawmill right there at Cook's Run who I used to buy quite a bit of wood from.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #30
yru
After 6, it's iffy

Oddometer: 1,918
Hi from sunny Maryland

I miss the U.P. Great thread you have going here kingbee! Forgot just how long the snow lingers on there.
My family moved to Hancock in 1980, a year after 356 inches of snow fell there. I remember walking along the streets of Hancock in the winter between huge piles of snow, and only seeing the smoking chimneys rising above them.
Rode up to U.P. 5 years ago, glorious ride, and the most memorable moment was riding across the Mackinac Bridge in the fog.

2004 RC51
2012 Tiger 800XC
yru is offline   Reply With Quote