The 1200 Tiger Explorer Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by dutchie, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Explorer or Explorer/XC

1. Explorer

2. Explorer/xc

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Boston813

Boston813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this a common issue on these bikes? I've been toying with the idea of trading out my Scrambler for for one of the new tigers and this is the exact opposite of my scrambler. My 06 is still on the original battery and it fired up fine last weekend after sitting since October. I know the newer bikes keep the computers running even when they are of but "a few weeks" sounds like a really short time for something that tends to sit for a while between rides.
  2. ridenm

ridenm WALSTIB Supporter

Oddometer:
    The computers, spiffy features notwithstanding, still consume significant power when the bike is sitting. The TEx is better than my old Beemer, but yeah --- assume you'll need a battery tender or such.
  3. Hank.SD

Hank.SD Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The manual lists semi-synth or synth Castrol (or equvalent oil). Normally, I'd prefer to use semi-synth or dino up to 1k miles or so, but I'm guessing it ships with full synth from the factory. If that's the case there would be no point in running something different at 500 miles.

Does anyone know what the bike ships from the factory with?

I would definitely go full synth at the 2nd change, which I'd probably do at 2k miles or so. From there I think 5K and every 5K after will be my plan.
  4. NewYorkLuke

NewYorkLuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hank im guessing you want to run dino because you want the motor to wear or break in so you dont have oil consumption ? If so I will tell you I have used the castrol full syn since new and have zero noticable oil loss

5. Hank.SD

Oddometer:
    Yep, that was my thought process, but like I said if it shipped w/ full synth it wouldn't make any sense to do that.

I'll stick with full synth (suzuki full synth 10-40).. thanks!
  6. GarrettRB

GarrettRB Bike Nerd

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used an after market oil filter?
  7. Hank.SD

Oddometer:

I have both K&N and parts unlimited filters I'm using.
  8. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    I use the Purolator version - been using them on all my Triumphs for many years now with no problems at all. Interestingly, my Frontier uses exactly the same filter...
  9. ridenm

ridenm WALSTIB Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally got my Triumph fog lights mounted. The bracketry was definitely fiddly, and I was about to recruit one of my 10-year-old children to stick a hand up inside the bodywork to retrieve hardware adrift.

The extra light along the sides of the road is nice.
  10. GaelicDog

GaelicDog Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer:
    k & n
  11. shankopotomuss

shankopotomuss n00b

Oddometer:
    Sneak Preview of the Happy-Trail Pannier System for the TEX.
    All I have mounted at this time is the Pannier Racks.

The panniers are not available yet and I expect the Skid plate
    and Nerf bars will all be ready to install with in a couple weeks.

The Happy Trail R&D Team is working day and night on all the
    sport adventure accessories for the GS wet head and the TEX 12.
    The quality form and function of the Happy-Trail.com accessories
    look great, matching the build quality of the Triumph.

It wont be long before I can post more photos of my fully outfitted
    TEX12.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Big Jon

Big Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Shank. By the looks of that cheap, plastic, scratched up skid plate, you better stay on the pavement until HT designs you a decent one. Is that pine needles I see by your link pipe? You should have had some one take a pic of that jump!:lol3
  13. shankopotomuss

shankopotomuss n00b

Oddometer:
    I didnt notice the scratches until you mentioned it. I have been doing a lot of off road and dirt road riding. Way more than I anticipated when i purchased the bike.
  14. Big Jon

Big Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've seen a few of your vids. Looks like fun.
  15. NCGS

NCGS De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    After owning my XC for a week, and after logging 1500+ miles in that time, my only real complaint - one I intend to take up with my dealer - is what appears to be corrosion building on the spokes; all the spokes.

Unreal.. for this kind of money you'd think they'd put SS spokes on the fookin' bike.

I doubt Triumph will acknowledge the issue, or do anything about it, similar to their ignoring the issue with broken spokes on the left/rear wheel on Hinckley Bonnies.

But.. in the event a spoke goes and I end up assuming room temperature as a result of it, I want those left behind to have some concrete info to back up a claim against Triumph. This is simply ridiculous. :ddog

Other than that the bike is spectacular.
  16. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    I'll keeping my ears open for anyone who takes this off road...especially with a touchy throttle...
    I've been looking through youtube to see if anyone has really done any kind of off road with the new XC and can't find anything....
    Anyone out there taken this off road yet? Impressions? :ear
    Thanks!
  17. GarrettRB

GarrettRB Bike Nerd

Oddometer:
    Not technically off road but here's what I did today. My issue was the weight of the bike and OEM tires. The throttle didn't seem to be a problem but traction control was kicking in as you can see on the controls. I'm a complete noob to riding off road so my review may be meaningless. :huh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQmIMRw4I58
  18. Hank.SD

Oddometer:

Its hard to imagine they don't have corrosion resistant spokes on an adventure bike... Wow. I'll be watching mine closely!
  19. AtlantaDR

AtlantaDR Anything on 2 Wheels

Oddometer:
    I had the use of an XC for 5 days last week in California. Spent about 3 hours one afternoon doing fire roads and some single track. The fire roads were rocky, rutted and had some good ups and downs to give it a pretty good test.

As someone who has been dual sporting for 30 years on bikes half the weight and CC's of the XC, I was pleasantly surprised. Even with the stock tires and no mods, the bike did really well. The throttle was a non-issue, but to be fair I have put about 10K on my personal Explorer, so I felt at home with it.

I experimented with the ABS and the Traction Control on and off. Although it was more fun with the TC off, it certainly was capable with it on, and for a newer rider it might even be preferred as it might keep you out of trouble.

The ABS never caused me any major problems either, although I enjoyed a more traditional experience with it turned off.

I did not find it top heavy as others have criticized. and never found myself in a spot where I thought it was too heavy to climb or descend.

The suspension did its job well and the front wheel did not wash out on me, even in what I would refer to as medium sand conditions.

I wish I had my Explorer with me that day so I could have ridden them back to back in the same conditions to see how they compared.

My summary would be that an XC in the hands of an experienced rider should provide tons of fun for all but the roughest conditions. With the right tires and with the suspension dialed in, I think the XC could take you farther off-road than you think. The only challenge I would anticipate would be picking the bike up if you dropped it on a hill.

I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.
  20. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    From the sounds of your comments, this XC can hold its own doing some exploring. Sounds promising, thanks for the comments.
    :D