User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
tacosupreme OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
fmf 4.1 too short? Passenger gassed...

Didn't see any reviews for these...I ride two up quite a bit and got rid of the stock cans due to thermonuclear heat and opted for the FMF 4.1 Ti cans. They are really, really loud. I started my 990 with just open headers and even with the FMF's installed they are almost that loud. Babies cry.Cattle stampede. Car alarms we-wa for blocks behind me. It is a beautiful thing! My passenger doesn't agree at all, but she still has normal eardrums and hasn't been subjected to years of death metal and Army munitions, so I got the "forest service approved" inserts and that quieted them down to a level that is much more civil. We got the sound thing under control, but due to the short length her helmet gets full of exhaust fumes....any ideas to reduce this problem? Even with a bag strapped on over the pipes she still gets fumes...and I didn't even have any burritos for lunch.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
two trackin fool
Scott

Oddometer: 1,182
I am an FMF fan and have been thinking about changing for the same reason .....

Are yours the Q's ?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I'm willing to bet that it's a case of poor tuning versus the length of the pipes though I wouldn't discount their length altogether. Don't forget that by installing these, you've eliminated the catalytic converters built into the stock thermonuclear mufflers. I have recently switched over to Leo Vince (also very loud but they came with db inserts that work well) and I too m detecting more exhaust fumes, etc. Our bikes are tuned to deal with a certain amount of back-pressure and the catalysts so eliminating the cats and reducing back-pressure will mess with the air/fuel mixture. If you have access to TuneECU an a cable, there is a popular "KTM with Akra" tune that seems to be universally popular and effective otherwise you may look into a custom tune on a DynoJet PC-V or similar... - at minimum, perhaps that 15 minute idle reset might help a tiny bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post
Didn't see any reviews for these...I ride two up quite a bit and got rid of the stock cans due to thermonuclear heat and opted for the FMF 4.1 Ti cans. They are really, really loud. I started my 990 with just open headers and even with the FMF's installed they are almost that loud. Babies cry.Cattle stampede. Car alarms we-wa for blocks behind me. It is a beautiful thing! My passenger doesn't agree at all, but she still has normal eardrums and hasn't been subjected to years of death metal and Army munitions, so I got the "forest service approved" inserts and that quieted them down to a level that is much more civil. We got the sound thing under control, but due to the short length her helmet gets full of exhaust fumes....any ideas to reduce this problem? Even with a bag strapped on over the pipes she still gets fumes...and I didn't even have any burritos for lunch.

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
tacosupreme OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by two trackin fool View Post
I am an FMF fan and have been thinking about changing for the same reason .....

Are yours the Q's ?
Not Q's, the other ones-http://www.ktmtwins.com/fmf-ktm-950-...lip-on-exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
I'm willing to bet that it's a case of poor tuning versus the length of the pipes though I wouldn't discount their length altogether. Don't forget that by installing these, you've eliminated the catalytic converters built into the stock thermonuclear mufflers. I have recently switched over to Leo Vince (also very loud but they came with db inserts that work well) and I too m detecting more exhaust fumes, etc. Our bikes are tuned to deal with a certain amount of back-pressure and the catalysts so eliminating the cats and reducing back-pressure will mess with the air/fuel mixture. If you have access to TuneECU an a cable, there is a popular "KTM with Akra" tune that seems to be universally popular and effective otherwise you may look into a custom tune on a DynoJet PC-V or similar... - at minimum, perhaps that 15 minute idle reset might help a tiny bit...
I did the 15 minute idle first thing after install. It's running rich on the bottom end for sure. I get 30 mpg riding like a wildman, 38 when 2 up cruising. Above 4,000 RPM's it seems good, but I haven't hooked up my wideband yet to see. I have a cable on order and have read the tunecu thread. Twice. My buddy has a 2-1 Remus, going to take the wifey for a cruise on that and see if it still happens before throwing more money at the problem.

tacosupreme screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 08:12 AM
tacosupreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
skopiec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Just for a reference point, I have the FMF Q's on my SE. Pretty quiet - not loud at all.
skopiec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
two trackin fool
Scott

Good to know Thanks !
I had one one my KLR just a touch over loud but I liked it .

Have you had to repack them much ? Just curious .......

I like the stock sound of the 990 , the heat blows for the rear seater I GUESS .
Not to worried usually only me but that will be the choice when its time to do .....
Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,752
To sum up: you got rid of the cats that burned excess fuel going out the exhaust and now you smell excess fuel laden exhaust.

Hmmm, what could it be?
Old 05-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
tacosupreme OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
To sum up: you got rid of the cats that burned excess fuel going out the exhaust and now you smell excess fuel laden exhaust.

Hmmm, what could it be?
AFR is irrelevant. Fumes are getting in the passengers helmet because the cans are short allowing exhaust gasses into the turbulence created behind the second rider. That doesn't happen with slightly longer cans, even if the bike is running pig rich. I know I have to retune, and I also know I need different cans...anyone want to trade for a remus 2-1? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by two trackin fool View Post

Have you had to repack them much ? Just curious .......
I only have a couple hundred miles on them, but I expect they will last a while.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
I've got Leos and carburetors with a rejet, and I smell a bit fumey when I get where I'm going.

I'm getting a dyno run with sniffer soon. But I'm sure its just the lack of emissions jetiing.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
Venturer
AKA klakeman

Oddometer: 687
I love the Qs. Inexpensive, run quiet and cool. Plus they have a spark arrestor. The loud ones just PO everyone.

Kirk
'04 KTM 950; '11 KTM 350 XCF;
'08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '05 Montesa 250 4RT Trials
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
two trackin fool
Scott

The Q's with the insert's should work quite well .
Then remove the insert for shenanigans ,

I don't remember which FMF I had on the KLR first and returned but i was a little barky.
It had the silver sticker the Q's have the black sticker ......

Are the KTM sport can's that much longer ?
The Akarpovic's .....FMF also sells Adventure specific cans maybe they are longer ?

two trackin fool screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 08:34 PM
two trackin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,541
Lots of miles on my FMF's two up and never had a problem with fumes or exhaust for the passenger.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
tacosupreme OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
Lots of miles on my FMF's two up and never had a problem with fumes or exhaust for the passenger.
4.1's or Q's?

The 4.1's

Q's are a few inches longer, look at the mount to end cap distance-

tacosupreme screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 09:17 PM
Old 05-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post
AFR is irrelevant. Fumes are getting in the passengers helmet because the cans are short allowing exhaust gasses into the turbulence created behind the second rider. That doesn't happen with slightly longer cans, even if the bike is running pig rich. I know I have to retune, and I also know I need different cans...anyone want to trade for a remus 2-1? lol

I only have a couple hundred miles on them, but I expect they will last a while.
You can get the same effect riding hundreds of feet behind. The cats don't stink, the non-cats do stink. My point was that you have the same AFR going into the muffler, and a different burned amount coming out. Not much to do with the length.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
tacosupreme OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
You can get the same effect riding hundreds of feet behind. The cats don't stink, the non-cats do stink. My point was that you have the same AFR going into the muffler, and a different burned amount coming out. Not much to do with the length.
Brown santa delivered the cable and I downloaded Power-TrippKTM990advWINGS.hex to the ECU. Just got back from a test ride, and it's FANTASTIC! The wifey said she smelled a little on decel after banging through the gears, but that's to be expected. The ignition timing is perfect, and idle to 3000 rpms is incredible compared to the blubbery rich stock R map. It felt like it lost some power up top, but the pipes seem much cooler and even in 85F temps the motor ran a bar cooler than before. Just amazing how much more linear the power curve is. It might have lost some power, but it's worth it to have such a smooth power curve! Long story short, you were right and I owe you and Alongat a beer.

tacosupreme screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 09:26 PM