Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #16921
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
My best recollection is you need to remove the housing from the mounts in the surround. Then remove the screws and disassemble the globe from the housing. If I'm missing something, I'll be able to get a better look for you in the morning.

p3
I managed to remove the light from under the frame, undid the two screws at the back and expected the whole thing to fall apart in my hands, but not to be.

Any help appreciated.

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #16922
Gronked
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for the feedback re Roadie vs XC. If the on-road performance of the XC is as people say it is, then it'll be a no-brainer.... sounds like a bike that really can do everything.

I'm going to a dealer to test ride tomorrow.

Thanks again :)
Gronked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #16923
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronked View Post
Thanks for the feedback re Roadie vs XC. If the on-road performance of the XC is as people say it is, then it'll be a no-brainer.... sounds like a bike that really can do everything.

one thing to remember is the Roadie has tubeless tires. The XC runs tubes. Fixing a flat on the XC will be an ordeal compared to the simple plug required by the Roadie.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #16924
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,428
Quote:

You need to ride them both, back to back. To me they were more similar than different, but for my needs the XC was oh so plush. I was concerned about the see-sawing with longer more plush suspension, but it's not there unless you really hammer brake or throttle. The plushness is what I liked, coming from a Versys that was more or less harder than a rock. I ride pretty fast, but not sport bike fast. The roadie has an edge in the twisties, but the XC works better everywhere else.

I think there were a LOT of us that weren't sure, but now there's no question in my mind. Yeah, would rather have tubeless, but I get so few flats I figured it wasn't worth a consideration. I can break a bead and fix or replace a tube if I have to.

My local ADV'rs always end up on some dirt, GS's, 990's, 950's, etc. I was just sure it was gonna end up on at least some dirt roads. It works great for that, although I don't ride it like a dirtbike - I have a TE630 for that and will be taking it again for our annual Grand Canyon North Rim Ride. It's 700 miles of dirt and the husky is just easier to handle.

The wife also started coming along and so we were looking something better than the Versys for us. So I was looking at the Roadie. The XC does two just as well, so that also became a non-issue.

In the end there were too many reasons to opt for the XC. With 6K miles now I KNOW I made the right decision. Coming from a GS I think you would be happier with the XC. If you were coming from a GSXR, then the T800 roadie.

browneye screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 05:32 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #16925
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Never ridden a roadie, but just about every review I read before buying my XC said the XC actually handled better on the road than the roadie. The reviewers always said they were surprised because they figured the 21" front would compromise the road handling, but I can attest that I haven't given up a darn thing concerning road handling when comparing my Honda CBF to the XC. I'm actually riding faster on the XC on all my local roads than I ever did on the CBF.
+1, completely agree.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #16926
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Got a question Guys, I've just been fiddling with forks and noticed the steering stem bolt was loose, I've seen that mentioned here before. Anyway I decided, while the forks were out I'd strip this down and regrease and retension. Never had this apart before so imagine my surprise when I find it uses angular contact ball bearings in there rather than the tapered roller bearing that is so common. I would have thought you'd get a better tensioned front end using tapers rather than ball rollers? Has anyone tried this?

Cheers

Bill
It surprised me too when I took mine apart but apparently a lot of modern bikes now use A/Contact balls. After fiddling with mine it did seem that the A/C bearings are less critical when tensioning them.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #16927
Ephrem
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Tiger 800 Roadie & PR3's

I'm sure someone has fitted a set to the roadie.

Can you share size, handling and lifespan?

Thanks
68 Bultaco Diablo, 70 CB 500-4, 72 CB 750-4, 83 Goldwing, 89 Goldwing - 120,000 miles, 93 HD Springer - 106,000 miles, 99 GeezerGlide Classic - 108,000 miles, 07 DL650 Vstrom - 58,250 miles, 09 FJR1300 - 52,000 miles, 11 Tiger 800 - 15,500 miles
Ephrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #16928
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Trev View Post
I managed to remove the light from under the frame, undid the two screws at the back and expected the whole thing to fall apart in my hands, but not to be.

Any help appreciated.
Have found some electronic instructions for the spot lights and I was on the right track; remove the two screws from the rear and pull out the lens cover.....I tried that, but will now add some extra muscle.

cheers

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:25 AM   #16929
Gronked
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
You need to ride them both, back to back. To me they were more similar than different, but for my needs the XC was oh so plush. I was concerned about the see-sawing with longer more plush suspension, but it's not there unless you really hammer brake or throttle. The plushness is what I liked, coming from a Versys that was more or less harder than a rock. I ride pretty fast, but not sport bike fast. The roadie has an edge in the twisties, but the XC works better everywhere else.

I think there were a LOT of us that weren't sure, but now there's no question in my mind. Yeah, would rather have tubeless, but I get so few flats I figured it wasn't worth a consideration. I can break a bead and fix or replace a tube if I have to.

My local ADV'rs always end up on some dirt, GS's, 990's, 950's, etc. I was just sure it was gonna end up on at least some dirt roads. It works great for that, although I don't ride it like a dirtbike - I have a TE630 for that and will be taking it again for our annual Grand Canyon North Rim Ride. It's 700 miles of dirt and the husky is just easier to handle.

The wife also started coming along and so we were looking something better than the Versys for us. So I was looking at the Roadie. The XC does two just as well, so that also became a non-issue.

In the end there were too many reasons to opt for the XC. With 6K miles now I KNOW I made the right decision. Coming from a GS I think you would be happier with the XC. If you were coming from a GSXR, then the T800 roadie.
Thanks Browneye. I did just what you said today and rode each one back to back... and ended up with the XC :)

I think you are spot on the money with your assessment. The roadie would probly be a bit nicer in twisties, but it's debateable as to whether I'm a good enough rider to make full use of it.

The XC suspension was nicer than I expected (better than the F800GS which I owned briefly) and the roadie felt a little small and, well, like a road bike.

Got to do a 1.5 hour ride home from the dealers and so far I'm happy :)
Gronked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #16930
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
PR3's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephrem View Post

Thanks
I'm on my second rear 150/70/17 PR3 and still on my first front 110/80/19 PR3. They are an awesome tire, can't fault them. Never slid on me and I ride pretty hard. They handle awesome. The profile of the rear seems a little flat compared to a Conti Road Attack, but it is not an issue at all. I have the Dual Purpose front and rear, where the outside 10% (each side) of the rear tire has the stickier compound. Check the Michelin site to see what I mean. I got 8,600 km out of my first rear, my second rear has about 6,000 on it now and still looks quite good. The front is also looking really good still and has those two mileages combined on it. I'm going to try the Conti RA next for a big road trip I have coming up, but I suspect I won't get the mileage out of them. Likely I will go back to the PR3's or try a Bridgestone BT-023 to see. You really can't go wrong with the PR3. No negatives whatsoever except maybe price. They are a few bucks more than the competition, but the increased lifespan offsets that easily.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #16931
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,428
Quote:
Thanks Browneye. I did just what you said today and rode each one back to back... and ended up with the XC :)

I think you are spot on the money with your assessment. The roadie would probly be a bit nicer in twisties, but it's debateable as to whether I'm a good enough rider to make full use of it.

The XC suspension was nicer than I expected (better than the F800GS which I owned briefly) and the roadie felt a little small and, well, like a road bike.

Got to do a 1.5 hour ride home from the dealers and so far I'm happy :)

Congrats!! Another new Tiger owner. They've been really popular and gaining I think. What color? Where's the pics??? Pics or it didn't happen.

I can ride pretty aggressively on twisty roads, but loath to do so on a public throroughfare. I quit riding for almost 4 years because I just knew I was going to kill myself the way I was riding. Getting back into it I promised myself to slow down, enjoy the ride, and be extra careful. I still hate blind right corners and slow down for them. I'm sure that pisses off a few riders behind from time to time. Bottom line is I don't really care if the road version is a little faster in the sweepers.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #16932
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,565
Tiger 800 Roadie & PR3's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephrem View Post

Thanks
I just mounted a set of the PR3 Trails on my T800. Really impressed with the handling. I haven't ridden in the rain yet but they are supposed to be awesome on wet roads. Only have about 1500 miles on them so far so I have no idea on the longevity.

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/in...ilotroad3trial
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #16933
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:

I can ride pretty aggressively on twisty roads, but loath to do so on a public throroughfare. I quit riding for almost 4 years because I just knew I was going to kill myself the way I was riding. Getting back into it I promised myself to slow down, enjoy the ride, and be extra careful. I still hate blind right corners and slow down for them. I'm sure that pisses off a few riders behind from time to time. Bottom line is I don't really care if the road version is a little faster in the sweepers.
I couldn't have said it any better

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #16934
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282

it makes it hard to stop with a disk brake and pad covered in fork oil
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #16935
NobeyamaGP
Nerdy Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Congrats!! Another new Tiger owner. They've been really popular and gaining I think. What color? Where's the pics??? Pics or it didn't happen.
He's not the only one. I just picked up a lightly used one myself. I've had it about a month already and I absolutely love it.

I've already managed to break a clutch lever, no thanks to the factory "handguards". Replacement lever and Barkbusters are on the way though. I guess I'm not helping the case for the orange ones being unstable.

2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
NobeyamaGP is offline   Reply With Quote