ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #17206
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
I have a two piece 42 tall roadcrafter. If you would like give it a try, shoot me a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
hey guys, anyone happen to have a 44 roadcrafter jacket and\or a 38 (32 or 34" waist) roadcrafter or darien pant a buddy can try on for size?

Wanna make sure he doesn't get stuck with a suit that doesn't fit.
kcieslicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #17207
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaev View Post
Could someone recommend a place to get forks straightened around Brooklyn on the cheap(ish)? Tried a simple reset the other day with no luck. It's for a VFR that had a slow speed head on.
There isn't a place in the area that has the proper equipment for that. You need to send em out and if you're going to go through the trouble of pulling the forks off the bike, taking the forks apart (since you only need to send in the stanchion tube) and keeping the bike in a garage on a triple tree stand until they come back (could be a while this time of year) you might as well just find a set off a bike being parted.

There was someone in the flea market parting out a later model VFR due to a cam chain failure, see if the forks are the same for the 6th gen and you may find yourself a deal.

Very few forks can be straightened. As long as there aren't any serious tweaks in it. If there is a crease anywhere it's not salvageable. You can still use it to beat the shit out of that guy who knocked over your bike or make a really cool bong though.

Prices for straightening are comparable to a set of used forks on eBay, at least for most popular bikes. Cost can be as low as $100 up to $300 or more.

I had to send in a set of 50mm Marzocchi forks to be straightened, you can't find those used and new cost as much as your VFR.

Did you try to unkink them? They could have simply been kinked in the triples. Riding around in Brooklyn hitting large potholes and hard breaking due to moronic cabbies gives forks a hard life. Most end up getting a little out of straight from this alone. It's very slight and barely noticeable though unless you're Valentino Rossi you probably won't even know it.

Put the bike on the center stand, put something heavy in the top case to put the rear wheel on the ground. Pull the front wheel. Put the axle back in.

Loosen one side of the upper and lower triples. Twist the stanchion tube while watching the axle. If the lower fork moves, you have a bent fork. Do the same for the other side. If the bend is slight move the both to the outside. With a slight bend you can still ride the bike.

By the way, triple trees can also bend in head on collision. If you're gonna pull the forks to check em for straightness, do the same with the triples. Might as well pull the whole yoke, which includes the upper and lower triple as well as the tube that goes through your headstock.

That's what I did on my 700lb cruiser and I managed to put another 40k miles on it after it was bent, including a couple runs on the dragon at considerably high speeds (for the dragon and on a cruiser). The two yuppies on their 30k dollar Bimotas wearing $3000 worth of leather were pissed.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #17208
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post
I have a two piece 42 tall roadcrafter. If you would like give it a try, shoot me a PM
cool, my buddy is out of town right now but I will certainly let him know! Thanks!
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #17209
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,847
I agree, bending forks back to straight would never be an option beyond riding home from a crash for me.

Too much can go wrong with stiction and at speed, not a pretty go down.

Try "Forks by Frank for good replacements that are cheaper than stock.

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #17210
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,559
Dyno?

Does anyone know a GOOD dyno shop in the area? I'm looking to sort out my fueling (carbs) a bit, and I lack seat-of-the-pants-dyno-fu.

Thanks!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #17211
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Does anyone know a GOOD dyno shop in the area? I'm looking to sort out my fueling (carbs) a bit, and I lack seat-of-the-pants-dyno-fu.

Thanks!
I have never been to this palce, but I have been recommended to go here by several people. I will be tuning my SV1000S to run properly (instead of with a pre-made map) once I install my single sided exhaust and drop the two cans.

http://www.powerhousemc.com/

They are in West Babylon, Long Island.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #17212
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
http://www.powerhousemc.com/

They are in West Babylon, Long Island.

Thanks! I'll try not to be put off by the stretched 'Busa on their home page.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #17213
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,713
Quote:
Find out if Brooklyn Motor Works still has a working dyno post-Sandy.

Gold Coast also has a dyno but I can't say anything as to quality.

Rockwell is well-liked and they have a dyno if you consider that "in the area".
Old 05-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #17214
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:

Thanks!
http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #17215
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
Find out if Brooklyn Motor Works still has a working dyno post-Sandy.
I'll check, but I don't get the impression they're still in business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
Gold Coast also has a dyno but I can't say anything as to quality.

Rockwell is well-liked and they have a dyno if you consider that "in the area".
Rockwell is definitely in the area.

Gold Coast has a dyno? That might work out well. (I get my parts from them so...)

Old 05-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #17216
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,997
A dyno is a tool, not a savior. It is like a computer and only as good as the person using it. I have about 15 years of dyno experience before teaching and I can say that only a few shops or worth using.
Frank@Powerhouse knows his crap and though I have not spoken to him in over 10 years he is an old friend and will do you right.
Orient Express, Joey is as good as they come when it comes to tuning.
Ivan is a smart guy, a bit opinionated and makes a few good products. I am not sure of his tuning prowess but I imagine it is pretty good.
Gold Coast-No idea of their ability. I will say that many are capable of FI but not carbs if they are a newer tuner.
ROckwell-No idea, but they seem to be good guys who are knowledgeable
Old 05-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #17217
Ravyn
nubblies need to die!

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
A dyno is a tool, not a savior. It is like a computer and only as good as the person using it. I have about 15 years of dyno experience before teaching and I can say that only a few shops or worth using.
Frank@Powerhouse knows his crap and though I have not spoken to him in over 10 years he is an old friend and will do you right.
Ivan is a smart guy, a bit opinionated and makes a few good products. I am not sure of his tuning prowess but I imagine it is pretty good.
Gold Coast-No idea of their ability. I will say that many are capable of FI but not carbs if they are a newer tuner.
Never really looked into Dyno time as I always though of it as prohibitively expensive.
Is that the case?
Aprilia Tuono, Aprilia Futura, BMW S1000RR, BMW K1200R, BMW K1200S, BMW R1100S, BMW R1100RS, BMW R1100GS, Ducati Multistrada 1200s, Ducati MTS 1000, Ducati M900s, Honda CBR600RR, Honda RC51, Honda VFR, Husqvarna SM610, KTM 990 Super Duke, KTM 950 ADV, KTM 450 EXC, Moto Guzzi Griso 8V Tenni, Triumph 1050 Speed Triple, Triumph Speed Triple 955, Yamaha WR250X
Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #17218
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post

I don't know much about dyno sessions. I was looking at it as a way to get quantitative data on a/f and HP/torque so that I can get to the bottom of why I'm consuming fuel faster than a burning oil well.

My thread on OC: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884887

Old 05-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #17219
Ravyn
nubblies need to die!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuli View Post
Hi Guys,

Anyone have a recommendation for a welding shop in Brooklyn? I need to a have 1/4" nut welded onto a 1/8" (or so) 8"x8" piece of plate steel. I'd love to get it done tomorrow, Saturday, so any recommendations are appreciated.

Cheers,

-b
A little late, but here you go:
4th State Metals
120 Hope Street
Williamsburg, Brooklyn 11211
718-599-3223
Ask for Isaac or Dave, and tell them your from ADV.
Aprilia Tuono, Aprilia Futura, BMW S1000RR, BMW K1200R, BMW K1200S, BMW R1100S, BMW R1100RS, BMW R1100GS, Ducati Multistrada 1200s, Ducati MTS 1000, Ducati M900s, Honda CBR600RR, Honda RC51, Honda VFR, Husqvarna SM610, KTM 990 Super Duke, KTM 950 ADV, KTM 450 EXC, Moto Guzzi Griso 8V Tenni, Triumph 1050 Speed Triple, Triumph Speed Triple 955, Yamaha WR250X
Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #17220
Ravyn
nubblies need to die!

Quote:
I don't know much about dyno sessions. I was looking at it as a way to get quantitative data on a/f and HP/torque so that I can get to the bottom of why I'm consuming fuel faster than a burning oil well.

My thread on OC: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884887
Um...how much do you weigh?