Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #17491
Icecold Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
No dice. Damn! Guess I'll have to bring it in. Need to get it right before Rick's.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #17492
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVirginia View Post
Many wise men say the ECU flash from AF-1 is the cat's meow.

I expressed my desire to use AF-1 when I bought my Tenere last week and the shop owner suggested I go with the Power Commander V instead.

Not seeing sunshine and roses as I try to get out of first gear on these WV tilted roads. Need a fix so I can stop stalling the bike and flying off as if I were a member of Cirque du Soleil--a dramatic mix of circus arts and street entertainment.

What say you?
Shop manager has no idea what is in the flash and what it cures. The PCV is not the best of the two.

The flash will take off the restrictions that Yamaha put on the engine, and make the bike run much better.

If you want to build a hot rod, put the headers on and an open can with a different air filter, ECU flash, and the PCV. Also throw in some dyno runs.
That should drain your wallet, but won't help keep the bike upright. You'll have to do that on your own,,
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #17493
japako
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecold Dan View Post
No dice. Damn! Guess I'll have to bring it in. Need to get it right before Rick's.
You may want to try disconnecting the battery and see if the code will reset.
It may and may not...
Old 05-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #17494
japako
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Check the rear wheel. Make sure the brake pads are not sticking and the wheel rotates freely. make sure there is nothing interfering with the brakes such as a pebble or piece of clay.

Depress the brake pedal and insure the pads move and stop the wheel, and make sure they release.

Check the reservoir and make sure it is clean and has fluid and no water has entered.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #17495
WestVirginia
Well spoke'n

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Shop manager has no idea what is in the flash and what it cures. The PCV is not the best of the two.
Thank you! BTW, I am a graduate of the U of North Texas.

I was thinking the shop guy can sell me a PCV, but not the AF-1 product so his recommendation may not have been impartial. However, his wording almost cast a fog on the warranty implications of a AF-1 flash.
WestVirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #17496
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,211
Quote:
...What say you?

Me?...I say that both are the cure; And, when I get some time, I'm gonna' try to prove it.

I'm no "expert" in the realm of motorcycles. However, I have lived a fortunate life in that I have had the opportunity to ride, and assist in the tuning of, a few really spectacular bikes that were tuned to a razor's edge.

Because of my background, I feel that the ST's problems are a trifecta (or worse), that includes fueling, ignition timing, and some bugs in the RbW system. At this point, I have absolutely z-e-r-o proof. My theory is just that: a theory.

So, when I get a chance, I intend to offer my ST as a sacrifice to the dyno elders, and see what this thing can really do. I think that my bike will be the perfect test mule, as I can't begin to imagine that the fueling/timing/RbW, on anyone else's bike, could be worse (or, at least, I hope not).

For those interested, we'll see where this goes...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #17497
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,926
Quote:
Many wise men say the ECU flash from AF-1 is the cat's meow.

I expressed my desire to use AF-1 when I bought my Tenere last week and the shop owner suggested I go with the Power Commander V instead.

Not seeing sunshine and roses as I try to get out of first gear on these WV tilted roads. Need a fix so I can stop stalling the bike and flying off as if I were a member of Cirque du Soleil--a dramatic mix of circus arts and street entertainment.

What say you?
Af-1 did my original reflash. I was really pleased with the results. The upgrade has been mentioned on
this and the Super Tenere site so I looked into it. AF-1 gets their programing from ECUnleased. They
told me to send my ECU to them for the upgrade. It is suppose to be even more focused on the lower
20% of the power band. AF-1 was helpful and I then contacted ECUnleased.

They will provide the upgrade for only the return shipping charge. If you send an ECU in for a reflash
it will now include the upgrade or remap.

I've sent mine to ECUnleased and hope to have it back this week.

The clutch mod helps. It does not give the refined fuel delivery the reflash does.
It's a Band-Aid to the bigger issue of correcting EPA restricted jetting.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #17498
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
RbW?

Just a counterpoint, a bunch of us are riding S10's with stock ECUs, no PCV, no clutch switch mod (or have the mod on a switch and like it better off), no air screw adjustment, no diagnostic mode CO adjustment, basically no anything engine-wise.... and think the bike runs pretty darn well. I'm not discounting that one or more of these mods might improve something, but I just want to present the observation that not everyone thinks the bike has a "trifecta" of fueling/ignition problems that need correction before the bike will run quite well.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #17499
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,211
It could also be argued (counterpoint) that quite a few folks seem to think that the clutch mod solves "the problem". As pluric (who has owned and ridden quite a few bikes) mentioned, it's just a band-aid to a larger issue.

I'm not about to get in any kinda' pissing match, as I know that there are established "outsiders" and "insiders" in this thread.

However, ultimately, "the proofs in the pudding". If a person can't look at some of the dyno charts that have been posted, and translate the evidence that's right there in front of them, perhaps "not everyone" has had the opportunity to ride a finely-tuned motorcycle, that has a linear power delivery. And so, it could be argued that they really don't know what they don't know.

- J.J.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #17500
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
RbW?

Just a counterpoint, a bunch of us are riding S10's with stock ECUs, no PCV, no clutch switch mod (or have the mod on a switch and like it better off), no air screw adjustment, no diagnostic mode CO adjustment, basically no anything engine-wise.... and think the bike runs pretty darn well. I'm not discounting that one or more of these mods might improve something, but I just want to present the observation that not everyone thinks the bike has a "trifecta" of fueling/ignition problems that need correction before the bike will run quite well.

- Mark
My bad. The subject has never come up with anyone else mentioning or complaining
about fueling issues. Stalls off idle, surging or uneven power delivery. The lights are
plenty bright, bars are the perfect height and bend, seat angle is fine, OEM accessories
are all you will ever need so why would consider thinking something could make it better?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #17501
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
My bad. The subject has never come up with anyone else mentioning or complaining
about fueling issues. Stalls off idle, surging or uneven power delivery. The lights are
plenty bright, bars are the perfect height and bend, seat angle is fine, OEM accessories
are all you will ever need so why would consider thinking something could make it better?
Well said Ron..

But on the other hand I have found worse than this thing. You can improve anything I suppose, especially of regulations are taken out of the equation. The only thing that annoys me a bit ATM is the time it takes for the throttle bodies to decide they are going to open off the line, So I tend to slip the clutch a bit initially.

But I think Mark has just as much a point as anyone. Plenty of people who don't visit forums I have met that look bemused when I mention all the broken spokes, bad fueling, gear restrictions etc.

But I could still do a bity with the extra money burning a hole in my pocket..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 10:18 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #17502
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,377
So I learned something this weekend on my first trip off road with the Tenere, if you ride in the mud the front wheel seems to like to collect it between the wheel lace flanges. Not a big deal till you pop out of the woods an hour and a half from camp and can't figure out what the vibration is all about when you hit 65 or so..

PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #17503
Icecold Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Ok, new problem. While working on the rear wheel to fix the error 42, I pressed the rear break a few times while the caliper was removed, and now I can't get the piston to reset.

On my DR it was easy to push the piston back in by hand. That's not the case here.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #17504
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
RbW?

- Mark
Totally agree with you, my engine/computer/fueling is stock and I love my bike. Best bike out there

If this continues, pretty soon the BMW guys will be all over the tenere problems :

Sent from my Android buddy
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #17505
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Ok, new problem. While working on the rear wheel to fix the error 42, I pressed the rear break a few times while the caliper was removed, and now I can't get the piston to reset.

On my DR it was easy to push the piston back in by hand. That's not the case here.
"See Your Authorized Yamaha Representative".

Man you pumped the brake more than a few times. Just put the pad that goes against the
brake pistons on and give it a gentle steady pressure from a screw driver. Usually if you have
a nice wide blade a slow pressure twist will put the pistons back in the caliper.