ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #841
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,337
Inspiration and vision go through various fazes before finally reaching ultimate success.

What is most unfortunate are those who have nothing ventured and nothing gained.

For you, it's simply the ability to work beyond your patience level.

The talent is there.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 11:37 PM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #842
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
You might talk to a therapist about that...
Therapists are overrated. It's easier to find inner peace on a bike in the woods in the middle of nowhere.

Good thing he's got that wee BMW. Unless he decided to pull it apart and figure out how to strap a JATO to it or something.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #843
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
At this point there's very little sheetrock left inside and I've torn out 90% of the wiring and 100% of the plumbing and I live in fear of running out of money in this halfway state.

Is it possible that there is a thread on another Internet forum for home owners, titled, "My New Home Refresh or Mission Creep" ?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #844
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Is it possible that there is a thread on another Internet forum for home owners, titled, "My New Home Refresh or Mission Creep" ?
Yeah, that's funny. Kinda. I think it's my wife's fear so I'm really busting my ass to get it livable sooner - by the end of June. Unlike the bike where it's about time the house is more about money - if there was an unlimited amount it would be done but like the old saying goes: "Fast, cheap or good - pick two."

Gregor

PS I am doing a thread on Garage Journal about the garage build but not much is happening there as most of the effort is going toward the house. The garage is the test bed for warming up my skill sets - rusty on drywall? Do the garage first.

sakurama screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 07:43 AM
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #845
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
...PS I am doing a thread on Garage Journal about the garage build but not much is happening there as most of the effort is going toward the house. The garage is the test bed for warming up my skill sets - rusty on drywall? Do the garage first.
What about using a sanding sponge in the valleys of your cedar ceiling to get to the whitewash?

The foam might conform to the varying angles and still get the job done?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #846
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
I've gone from here:

As you might imagine from my obsessive build here I take details seriously and it seems with every turn I find more crap that's done poorly and needs to be fixed. At this point there's very little sheetrock left inside and I've torn out 90% of the wiring and 100% of the plumbing and I live in fear of running out of money in this halfway state.

The good news is I'm having fun and it's going well but I'm exhausted at the end of every day. I now ask friends to intervene when I think about adding to the project. I want to be in by the end of June - I also wanted to be riding this bike about a year or so ago...

Gregor

Man knows his "wood" tools too..

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #847
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw4x4van View Post
Man knows his "wood" tools too..
That's what she said!

I'm not nearly as skilled on that front but I'm a voracious reader and learner. I owe a huge debt to my friend Ben for guiding me on the house project. He's given me a lot of advice, direction and help but also let's me figure it out on my own. It's much the same as the way Chris taught me machining. I'm really enjoying the work, it's immensely satisfying. He's a recent member of Orange Crush so ill be able to return the favor this winter.

I can see the end but its taking longer than expected. Has anyone ever done a remodel or bike build and finished sooner? No. Don't think so.

Gregor
Old 05-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #848
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Quote:
That's what she said!

I'm not nearly as skilled on that front but I'm a voracious reader and learner. I owe a huge debt to my friend Ben for guiding me on the house project. He's given me a lot of advice, direction and help but also let's me figure it out on my own. It's much the same as the way Chris taught me machining. I'm really enjoying the work, it's immensely satisfying. He's a recent member of Orange Crush so ill be able to return the favor this winter.

I can see the end but its taking longer than expected. Has anyone ever done a remodel or bike build and finished sooner? No. Don't think so.

Gregor
Well somebody schooled you well in tool selection, Grasshopper....

We rode together in the first Pine Barren 500,.. you led a group and I was a sweeper... I'm friends with Jolly

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
Old 05-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #849
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw4x4van View Post
Well somebody schooled you well in tool selection, Grasshopper....

We rode together in the first Pine Barren 500,.. you led a group and I was a sweeper... I'm friends with Jolly
Was that the year of the epic rain? I remember one time it rained so hard we followed Clipper through some back woods trails to his house, ordered pizza and watched old races until it stopped. Yeah, we're hard core.

I usually take a very casual approach to dual sport rides and so am often being chased by the sweep. If its not a race I do my best to be last and have the most fun. Just spoke to James last week too. Small world.

As for tools - buying good stuff only hurts once. Buying cheap stuff pains me the whole time.

Gregor
Old 05-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #850
TA-Zappa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
I can see the end but its taking longer than expected.
That's exactly what we said when we where doing the summer house, it took 14 years for the top floor to be finished.... But it looks good. We got faster after that and the kitchen took just 4 years, well almost 4 years we still have the doors to paint.

But considering your skills with the bike your house will be stunning when it's done. IF not this one maybe the next one..

Cheers,
Zappa
'09 250 EXC-F SixDays - 184h (Stolen)
'98 XL600V Transalp - 86000km - SOLD
TA-Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:55 AM   #851
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Quote:
Was that the year of the epic rain? I remember one time it rained so hard we followed Clipper through some back woods trails to his house, ordered pizza and watched old races until it stopped. Yeah, we're hard core.

I usually take a very casual approach to dual sport rides and so am often being chased by the sweep. If its not a race I do my best to be last and have the most fun. Just spoke to James last week too. Small world.

As for tools - buying good stuff only hurts once. Buying cheap stuff pains me the whole time.

Gregor
....epic rain? ....I was thinkin' monsoon, but that's the one

Good luck with the house [I'm a builder]

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
Old 06-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #852
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Chris has been busy - both with other work and doing CAD work on this project. I visited the shop Tuesday to check out what was going on and to kill some time I thought I'd break down my front wheel to prepare for the new hub. That didn't work out exactly.

First things first. I was faced with removing my tire and I had the only tire machine in the shop which is now in Portland. All that we had was two Motion Pro tire irons. Necessity is the mother of discover here and I learned how to break a bead with these so I thought I'd share it here:

Stack the irons just like this - one on top of the other.

Press down. I was sort of amazed at how easy it was. I searched all over to see if that was the way they were designed and I couldn't find any info or instructions but I've owned these irons for years and never knew you could do this. In fact I've used the side stand method even though I've had a pair of these right next to me. So now you know - Motion Pro 16" curved irons make perfect bead breakers.

This is a shot to use to remember the triple cross lacing. I'm going to attempt to build this wheel myself. I'll most likely get close and then frustrated and then send it to Woody but it's high time I learn to lace a wheel.

Next up was to break it down. Typically you just use a bolt cutter and cut the spokes but I'm hoping to reuse the spokes since it seems the new hub is the same size. I cursed Chris' cheap Craftsman 7mm wrench which was loose on the spoke. 1/4" was too small as was 6mm. It was only after putting a caliper on the nipple and looking online that I discovered there was such a thing as a 6.8mm spoke wrench. WTF? Really? 6.8mm?

So I managed to get out two spokes before throwing in the towel and ordering the right wrench. The GOOP held very well and came off cleanly meaning it will be easy to clean the wheel and seal it again.

Last up is a shot of the end plates that Chris has machined for the enclosed chain run inside the frame rails. I hope he sees this post and follows up with a few of his CAD drawings because he's done some very impressive engineering to make this slick, clean and efficient.

The long run will be fully enclosed with tensioners and run in an oil bath while the short chain shouldn't need tensioners due to the short length but he's still working on that. There's some really beautiful stuff that is going to grace this bike - it makes me wish the tank was clear as it's a shame to hide it all.

Gregor
Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #853
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,428
Quote:
The long run will be fully enclosed with tensioners and run in an oil bath
I assume you'll have to periodically change that oil?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #854
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Yes, I'll have to but it should be a token amount just in the bottom. I wanted a window to the level but Chris suggested just a drain and a fill at the correct level so it's like a normal transmission - fill it until it overflows and your good. He's right but I like windows - as evidenced by my garage thread...

I digress.

I went out yesterday to work on the bike but we ended up spending the afternoon working on a kickstarter project we're doing together instead. I was frustrated but glad at least one of my many projects is going forward. Once we get our prototypes together for that and we're ready to launch it I'll mention what it is but for now it's enough to say it's not bike related.

I digress again.

I suspect sometimes that it must be difficult to have a conversation with me because my mind wanders so much. Hard to believe right? Okay, back to the topic at hand. My ridiculously sprawling 990 project. Sigh.

So when we last left off I discovered that the spokes were actually 6.8mm and I didn't have a wrench. I ordered a nice Motion Pro one and it showed up on Friday...

...only to end up being too small at 6.71mm. Thanks Motion Pro! Luckily I was at Chris' shop and the Bridgeport was just around the corner so I snugged that sucker down in the vise and skimmed it to 6.8mm. Which was still too small. Slowly I'm learning and I didn't remove the wrench until I'd actually tried to fit a spoke nipple in there. It needed to be 6.83mm to be snug and fit.

6.84 might have been better but I went through the plating to the copper so I suspect it will wear in a bit and it's better to be too tight than too loose.

Back to the wheel.

I decided that I'd best tape the rim to prevent (let's be honest - reduce) any scratches as I took it apart. The spokes were under tension from the crosses as well and when I got the last nipple the wheel was still together and I sensed that my bravado in believing that I could rebuild this wheel might be quite short lived. Woody? Are you watching this?

Once I got to this stage it occurred to me I should have just sold this wheel and bought a new rim and have Woody build it up. Umm, yeah, a bit late for that now. Well, that was all the time I had yesterday. This week I'm headed off to Mass to pass judgement on some photography students. Chris has promised an update to the thread but don't hold your breath - I've been bugging him all week to no avail.

Gregor
Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #855
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Awesome

Gregor,

This is by far the most insane thread ever. I would have to say it surpasses my complete inability to keep a bike for more than 6 months type insanity. Keep it up!

Jason
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is online now   Reply With Quote