Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #31
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
I missed finding this earlier.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Well I am off on a ride in the morning and will catchup when I get back, but I will say a beautiful start.
Because, I went riding with this guy, we had a great time BTW.

Wow, I'm loving the scenery and your commentary as well, I actually relate to your feelings of magic some places create while I am there, and feel like another trip to Death Valley would diminish those feelings of wonder and awe I experienced during our 1st DV trip.

Your Photography just gets better every time you post something. Congratulations!

OK, I'm Home now and I'm waitin!
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #32
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Excellent! Nice photos, nice write-up.

Going to go back through and enjoy this for a second time. Thank you.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #33
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Big Wan, I can not lie I donít like big ruts.

Making silt my favorite - - - NOT

Aw, Ladybug! no one likes silt, but you got through it. that's what's important.

Beautiful sunrise photos!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #34
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,780
EXCELLENT!!! Great photos and story telling, looks like y'all took plenty of time to stop and explore. Next year I may have to take the entire week for this event

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #35
KC10Chief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Awesome! I am obsessed with Death Valley. The place is incredible. I've seen the Racetrack from the air a few times. I plan to get out there real soon and check it out from the ground. And yes, you need to go to the south side of the playa to see the moving rocks.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:58 AM   #36
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2rydktms View Post
Because, I went riding with this guy, we had a great time BTW.

Wow, I'm loving the scenery and your commentary as well, I actually relate to your feelings of magic some places create while I am there, and feel like another trip to Death Valley would diminish those feelings of wonder and awe I experienced during our 1st DV trip.

Your Photography just gets better every time you post something. Congratulations!

OK, I'm Home now and I'm waitin!
Hi, good to have you along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Excellent! Nice photos, nice write-up.

Going to go back through and enjoy this for a second time. Thank you.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Aw, Ladybug! no one likes silt, but you got through it. that's what's important.

Beautiful sunrise photos!
It would have been better without the silt bath. The sunrises are nice in Death Valley but Baja still has the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8 View Post
EXCELLENT!!! Great photos and story telling, looks like y'all took plenty of time to stop and explore. Next year I may have to take the entire week for this event

I'm sure if you take a week you'll enjoy every minute of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
Awesome! I am obsessed with Death Valley. The place is incredible. I've seen the Racetrack from the air a few times. I plan to get out there real soon and check it out from the ground. And yes, you need to go to the south side of the playa to see the moving rocks.
You're right the place is incredible.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:11 AM   #37
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

The rest of day 3.....

Time to ride

Next stop: Miller Spring which is the ruines of a water pumping plant, a mine and a small mill.

There was power here at one time.

The road down to Darwin had a couple easy switchbacks and I could see some people camping in a few places. Hmmmmm might be a place to camp at another time.

Thereís Darwin

The first place I spotted was the home of sculptor James Hunolt

There was more in the back yard and I really wanted to see what was back there but I respected his privacy and kept my distance.

Brief Biography
Born: 1939
Education: University of California, Berkeley
Professional Sculptor: 35 years
Mediums: Stone, Wood, Bronze, Steel

Excerpts from an occasional journal:
The purpose of art is the exploration of the human spirit.
To gain the eternal vision you must turn inward - the personal experience is everyone's experience - the artist's goal is to know and express himself as personally and as intensely as he can.
"The Scattered Brothers"
Creation and destruction occurs with the same blow
The fragments fall to the side
The Scattered Brothers that blacken in time
And are forgotten

Across the street was a dome building and another sculpture.

The Gates of Hell

I headed for the Post Office/Gas station

While Moto-Treks headed for the Dance Hall - I won't tell his wife.

Across the street was this strange little dude.

And his burro pal

I walked around town and checked out some of the building while Moto-Treks did the same.

Uh oh, Moto-Trek is fueling up it must be time to go. I better return to the Superbug

There was something in those ďcavesĒ like storage or maybe even at one time used as earth home?

Another area of Darwin however this area is closed off

We headed back to camp the easy way

Moto-Treks took another ride to check out the Wildrose Kilns while I took the time to enjoy the flowers in camp.

After cleaning up I visited with AirheadBruce and NoRa for a bit while we waited for Moto-Treks to return. Once Moto-Treks got back we all went across the street for dinner. They have pretty good food there. Thanks Bruce and Nora for dinner. We said our good byes since they were leaving the next morning and I wouldn't see them again until we were back in Spokane.

Another good Death Valley day.

Day 4 coming up......
Old 05-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #38
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,689
Manhattan, NV SURE looks a whole lot different than the -other- Manhattan!

ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #39
DaFoole
Born Again Asshole..

Oddometer: 3,964
Great stuff....

As always...
Old 05-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #40
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,768
Airhead Bruce enjoying the ride up Hunters Mountain

Followed by Ladybug

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #41
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,105
Awesome! Finally getting caught up this morning. You are capturing DV in a different light than I; that's what makes the world so great we all see things a little differently. I never saw that pumping station going to Darwin and I rode both routes, but than again I am a guy who was focused on riding, not really smelling the flowers, so with that.... thank you for reminding me to take it in.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #42
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
Manhattan, NV SURE looks a whole lot different than the -other- Manhattan!
That's for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
Great stuff....

As always...
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Airhead Bruce enjoying the ride up Hunters Mountain

Followed by Ladybug
Thanks for adding the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Awesome! Finally getting caught up this morning. You are capturing DV in a different light than I; that's what makes the world so great we all see things a little differently. I never saw that pumping station going to Darwin and I rode both routes, but than again I am a guy who was focused on riding, not really smelling the flowers, so with that.... thank you for reminding me to take it in.
We enjoy things differently and the variety makes the world a fun place to live. Glad you are following along Sam.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:23 AM   #43
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Day 4 - Thursday 3/28/13

I decided to headed off on my own to watch the sunrise from the valley floor and enjoyed an early start to my day. It was a a day filled with touristy delights

At work we have a ďwhere has your Ecova bottle been?Ē section in our company newsletter. I figured I needed to submit one with the bottle taking a motorcycle ride and this was the perfect place to get the photo. I still need to get around to submitting it though.

I had to have a picture of this sign.

First thing in the morning sure is nice in Death Valley.

The dunes? Iíve been to dunes before, I used to live within a few miles of dunes when I was a teenager and we spend many quality kegger hours in the dunes. They came equipped with a lake for skinny dipping and getting the sand rinsed off. Spending time in the dunes at Death Valley wasnít much of a thought. Heck, I know what they are, lots of sand thatís not all that easy to walk in.

When I saw the sign for Mesquite_Flat_Dunes I had enough liquids in me I decided to stop and use the facilities since they were there. Already off the bike with my helmet and jacket off I figured I might as well walk over and look at the sign and grab a photo or two. Looks like someone lost a flip flop.

Mesquite Flat Dunes
These dunes are the best known and easiest to visit in the national park. Located in central Death Valley near Stovepipe Wells, access is from Hwy. 190 or from the unpaved Sand Dunes Road. Although the highest dune rises only about 100 feet, the dunes actually cover a vast area. This dune field includes three types of dunes: crescent, linear, and star shaped. Polygon-cracked clay of an ancient lakebed forms the floor. Mesquite trees have created large hummocks that provide stable habitats for wildlife.

At the sign I decided to walk out a little ways and see if I could get a better shot of the dunes.

Then I started following footprints in the sand and was really enjoying the walk.

The nice thing about taking a walk in the dunes wearing riding boots is you donít get sand in your shoes. Like other parts of Death Valley there was a lot more to see than just sand.

I was starting to get hungry since I didnít have breakfast before I left camp and planned to enjoy a nice breakfast at Furnace creek. Everything is expensive in Death Valley and I was cutting costs where I could so my meals were being eaten in camp so this was going to be my one splurge. I was hit with an expensive vet bill for my cat, Wilbur, the week before I left and it took a good chunk of my vacation fund. I almost cancelled my trip because the fur ball saw fit to go out get in a fight and didnít come out the winner. I hope that cat appreciates the sacrifices I make for him. Ah heck Iím sure he doesnít heís all male and we know males are unappreciative of the sacrifices us females make for them.

On to breakfast I go.

Oh wait thereís something over thereÖ..

Before I go to the Borax works site Iíll check this out.

I wonder where this road goes.

It goes to Mustard Canyon

Mustard Canyon was a nice loop back to the pavement.

Then I made my way to the Harmony Borax Works. I grabbed a bottle of water and went for a walk.

Harmony Borax works was the birthplace of the Twenty Mule Teams

Iíve seen many pictures of these wagons and watched Death Valley Days as a kid but I had no idea how huge they really were until I was standing next to one. The large wheel stands 7í tall.

For many people, nothing symbolizes Death Valley more than the famous Twenty Mule Teams. These "big teams" pulled massive wagons hauling borax from the Harmony Borax Works near Furnace Creek to the railhead near Mojave, a grueling 165 mile, ten day trip across primitive roads. Although the teams only ran for six years--1883 to 1889--they have made an enduring impression of the Old West.

The white crust on the earth here was intriguing and I had to walk out onto it and check it out. I was surprised about how hard the crust was. I thought it would be brittle and crush under my steps but it stayed solid like concrete.

The borax refinery operated only from 1883 to 1888

More to come and I'll get to breakfast yet.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #44
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,780
Great way to start my day with this read and picture gawking

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #45
Reddog*
^ "Look up"

Oddometer: 2,637
Hadn't checked in Day trippin for a while.

What a Nice find!
Reddog* is offline   Reply With Quote