Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #1321
cam14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Looks like a fun build though not my personal taste. Brings back fond memeries of my 74 XL 100. Thanks for sharing.

And here is a real steem powered bike.
cam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #1322
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,109
And in its wake a trail of swooned health 'n safety people.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #1323
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,528
I'm no carb expert for sure

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #1324
Regdor
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question Green wire

Hi, new to the forum and need some help. Just got a 1974 XL175. Very good condition except the previous owner was trying to fix a spark problem and disconnected a lot of the wiring trying to fix it. I was able to get all the wiring back to original except I have a green wire in the battery location and have no Idea where it goes. The bike was missing a battrey when i got it and that seems to be what was wrong with the spark and the bike runs great now but I have no idea where that green wire is supposed to go, it has a 1/4" push on connector on it but no place to put it?? any help would be appreciated, any chance someone could pull their cover off the battery area and look around for a green wire? its not the negative for the battery and the wiring diagram is no help with this. i connected it to the green negative wire on the battery just so it is grounded but if it is suppsed to ground a component i would like to know what it is. Thanks
Regdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #1325
Kanook
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regdor View Post
Hi, new to the forum and need some help. Just got a 1974 XL175. Very good condition except the previous owner was trying to fix a spark problem and disconnected a lot of the wiring trying to fix it. I was able to get all the wiring back to original except I have a green wire in the battery location and have no Idea where it goes. The bike was missing a battrey when i got it and that seems to be what was wrong with the spark and the bike runs great now but I have no idea where that green wire is supposed to go, it has a 1/4" push on connector on it but no place to put it?? any help would be appreciated, any chance someone could pull their cover off the battery area and look around for a green wire? its not the negative for the battery and the wiring diagram is no help with this. i connected it to the green negative wire on the battery just so it is grounded but if it is suppsed to ground a component i would like to know what it is. Thanks
The bike runs great. Ignorance is bliss lol. Green is usually ground wires so I would guess that to the frame or the battery would be a safe bet.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #1326
jtn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Hi folks, anyone know how a 70's xl350 stator compares to the tl250? In the middle of converting a TL to 12v, and the stock stator is only putting out 4vac at idle, 6.5 when revved - was hoping I could just swap in one from an XL and call it good, not sure rewinding would do any good since there aren't any unwrapped poles (it has only two winding poles) . . .

'70 CL175, CL350
'82 GL500
'69 - '74 Trail 90's
jtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #1327
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 578
This thread got me thinking about my trusty xl350:

That xl350 was one of my all time favorites:
Wheelies for miles - more fun than prom sex

Heading out with my buddy: he and I both had 350's (a 73 & 74)

Here's something crazy a few of you will enjoy - back in 82 I stuffed a late 70s xl125 motor stuffed into a yamaha monoshock yz125 frame.

Damn that was a long time ago: you could still buy oil in round cans

Honda had just made the xr200 with ProLink suspension - so I named my home made version of the XL mtr in YZ frame the - "FroLink"

Heding out one sunday to ride the Frolink with my buddy and his xl125 - we had found this goofy kids space helmet for the pic

Another day resting by the creek with the Frolink!

Also Had an 78 xl250 too, but could not find a good pic of that one:
It;s stuff in the shed with a few other relics.

EnduroRdr screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 01:02 AM
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #1328
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Awesome pics and back story EnduroRdr! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #1329
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
great photos!!
Wow its rare to see the bike in pics from back in the day.

Looking to sell my 1980 XL250, check the flea market under regional and Pacific Northwet.
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #1330
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,899
83 XL250R Carb/Cable Question

I just had the chance to look over the carb setup on an 83 XL250 I acquired. I was slightly surprised at the complexity of the top part of the carb: in addition to the throttle cable it has two more cables (one more than I expected); plus a fancy looking carb top and what appears to be a fast idle cam.

Before I tear into it, are the any specific oddities or weirdnesses to check out before trying to cleanit up and test fire the motor? This carb looks slightly more complex than even a CV type. (Of which I have too much experience with Mikunis and Bings)

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #1331
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,006
Does it have the "double barrel" carb? I've heard they can be a bit of a pain to get set up right. The cables you are seeing are actually TWO throttle cables and probably a choke cable- there is a push and a pull throttle cable.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #1332
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,899
Thanks. And duhh me.... I didn't even notice the push-pull throttle on the bars. I think my mind was still stuck on the car I'd been working on all day prior to looking over the bike.

It is a single barrel carb. And the choke does indeed have a fast idle cam. I was just too tired to absorb what I was looking at.

I think the next step will be to change the oil, hook up my small testing gas tank with fresh fuel, and see if it fires. After that will come the real carb and fuel tank cleaning. Luckily the fuel tank looks pretty good on the inside. Will be interesting to see what kind of shape the carb is in.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #1333
cvd6262
n00by-est

Oddometer: 17
Well, putt-putt passed her safety inspection. I went to the DMV and discovered that the seller didn't sign the title. Oops. No problem, he's a good friend and I'll get that fixed tonight.

BUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvd6262 View Post
I *finally* got the putt-putt's headlight case rewired. Thanks to tokyoklahoma for pointing out that the wiring diagram would be in the back of my Haynes manual (I had looked in the electrical chapter). It wasn't too hard to follow, but I had to re-pinch some of the connectors to get them to fit tight.

Here she is, waiting to pass safety inspection:

photo IMG505_zpseb0f0434.jpg

I've put about 10 miles on her around my house. She runs fine. Starts on first kick too.
cvd6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #1334
Spirit1dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
hey guys, new to ADV although I have been reading for some time. Stumbled across this thread. Seems to be about the only place left for the old XL'son the interwebs.

Here are before and after picts of my '80 XL500s. Got it in a trade for a CX500c that was not being ridden.

Before

After

Spirit1dog screwed with this post 10-13-2013 at 09:05 PM
Spirit1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #1335
cvd6262
n00by-est

Oddometer: 17
XL185s valve clearance

Aside: Spirit1dog: Sick (as in awesome) color!

First, my 1981 XL185s is registered and ready for street riding. I almost took her on Skyline Drive (Wasatch Plateau, Utah) today, but my buddy fell through. (grrr.)

Although the engine runs great (there is no knocking, and it has a good, deeper-than-you-would-expect note from 2nd gear on up), I decided to check the valve clearances. I have the Haynes manual, and I've watched a bunch of videos online about it. It didn't seem so hard.

Problem #1: Finding Top-dead-center was harder than I thought it would be. I opened the crankshaft access and the viewport for the flywheel markers, and started turning the crank "anti-clockwise" (as stated in the manual). The wheel turned easily about a quarter turn or so, then got harder. If I pushed through, it would snap about another quarter turn past the markers. The only way I could find the "T" mark was by turning the wheel back clockwise.

Problem #2: Once I found the "T", the flywheel wouldn't stay on it. It would spring an inch counter-clockwise. I put a gas can against my wrench so it would hold it in the right spot.

Problem #3: There appears to be zero clearance between the adjuster screws and the valve at "T". I didn't adjust them though because 1) the bike is running fine and 2) I'm not sure my timing is right, so I didn't want to mess up anything.

When the flywheel "T" is visible, I can rock the crankshaft a little bit left and right without the valves moving. I think this means I'm at TDC, but I'm not sure.
cvd6262 is offline   Reply With Quote