Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #151
firedevildog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
brake light was just a fluke there's a short in the brake light socket unrelated to Lynx install.

Any help or Pic on turn signal relocate would be great Thanks
firedevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #152
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedevildog View Post
put my Lynx 690 on today now brake light and license light not working checked all pins and connections nothing bent or loose any ideas

and where do you relocate the turn signals on a 2013.

Thanks
Can't answer the tail light issue, because I don't think the circuit is changed by the Lynx wiring harness ( but I could be wrong there !)

I'm sorry we haven't changed the instructions to accommodate the '13 yet, but the easiest thing to do is get an indicator mount from the earlier models, or any of the 450/525/530/500 bikes. They all fit and mount up with the 3 bolts on the front face of the top triple with the Lynx dashboard.

Cheers Ian
Old 05-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #153
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,868
I just finished installing the new Lynx Fairing on my bike. So far I'm pretty pleased. Installation is very simple, the unit provides nice wind protection, but does not get in the way when trail riding and puts out some nice light.

I replaced the aluminum grid rock guard w/ a piece of Lexan. While the aluminum guard looked cool it put a strange web shadow in the headlight throw and makes the headlight lenses difficult to clean. I also used some curdled knobs to mount the Lexan rock guard so it can be easily removed for cleaning.

HID Low beam:

HID high beam:

Dash w/ Garmin Montana and OEM speedo:

The red button on the side turns off the low beam. Saves some wattage when offroad riding or using electric gear or trying to start the bike w/ a weak battery.

Additionally I plan to install a 10 second delay relay on the low beam that way the light will only come on after the engine is running.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #154
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
I just finished installing the new Lynx Fairing on my bike. So far I'm pretty pleased. Installation is very simple, the unit provides nice wind protection, but does not get in the way when trail riding and puts out some nice light.

I replaced the aluminum grid rock guard w/ a piece of Lexan. While the aluminum guard looked cool it put a strange web shadow in the headlight throw and makes the headlight lenses difficult to clean. I also used some curdled knobs to mount the Lexan rock guard so it can be easily removed for cleaning.

HID Low beam:

HID high beam:

Dash w/ Garmin Montana and OEM speedo:

The red button on the side turns off the low beam. Saves some wattage when offroad riding or using electric gear or trying to start the bike w/ a weak battery.

Additionally I plan to install a 10 second delay relay on the low beam that way the light will only come on after the engine is running.
Nice install and the delay relay is a great idea for the low beam. I think I'll investigate that for standard fitment. We have lexan guards being manufactured now which will replace the stick on protectors we currently use.

Cheers

Ian
Old 05-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #155
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,651
I am getting closer to getting a lynx for a 2010 690R.
As I understand the newer design have:

- HIB ballast located in the lower chin area instead of up high.
- a 12V switch fused lead
- a 12V permanent fused lead
- a new Lexan protector is available instead of the sticky protector on each light.

Question, if I get a fairing with both halogen light, how much is the upgrade to HID later on for each light?

Thank you
Christian
Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #156
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
I am getting closer to getting a lynx for a 2010 690R.
As I understand the newer design have:

- HIB ballast located in the lower chin area instead of up high.
- a 12V switch fused lead
- a 12V permanent fused lead
- a new Lexan protector is available instead of the sticky protector on each light.

Question, if I get a fairing with both halogen light, how much is the upgrade to HID later on for each light?

Thank you
Christian
Nearly right and I'm sorry that the website has not yet got the details of the new design.

FYI, the new one is the same price, has the same Lights and HID options and the same colour and decal choices. There is a new aluminum grill rock guard ( $38), but the new Lexan protector is about 3 weeks off. No problem getting the HID's down line and the price is the same at $180 for both, or $95 for just the low beam ( most popular choice). We also now supply DIN sockets ( $21)and twin USB charging sockets ( $38) which are plug 'n play with the new wiring harness. Also new is the choice of tinted or clear screen.

We are also now fitting a 10 second delay relay on the low beam circuit to overcome issues that some KTM guys have had with the HID lamp not firing up after the starter is used. This is because the starter drags so much out of the battery that there is insufficient voltage left to fire up the HID. The 10 second relay will solve this.

Other than the items listed, the new Lynx wraps up a number of items that I felt needed addressing after 5 years of the original. In particular, the new mounting system is much stiffer and the the relocation of the HID ballasts gets weight off the back of the dashboard and is much more convienient.

One more point. If you are ordering standard halogens, but feel that HID's are a possibility, make sure you let me know that so that we can drill the appropriate holes in the base of the fairing from our jig, otherwise you'll have difficulty fitting them later. If you wanted to go ahead soon, but wanted the Lexan shield, we would send it on later.

Cheers Ian
Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #157
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Thank you for clarifying
After I sell the parts I have listed I will order probably a few weeks away

Thx
Old 05-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #158
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

One more.... Will the new lexan be the same price as the stick on guards?
Will you discontinue the stick on?
Old 05-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #159
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,424
I've been enjoying my "first gen" Lynx for a few years. Your list of changes sounds like genuine improvements!
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:54 AM   #160
BackCountryCruizer
Gnarled Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
I've been enjoying my "first gen" Lynx for a few years. Your list of changes sounds like genuine improvements!
+1 I have 13000 miles and a couple of years on my 1st generation. My wife has a 2nd generation on hers. Much improved mounting system!

http://www.youtube.com/user/650tom
BackCountryCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #161
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer: 383
I have a 2010 690 Enduro R and we are in the process of installing the Lynx Fairing. We are at the point of plugging back in the display console connections and we appear to have an extra male connection coming out of the console that we can't locate the female end. We feel like a pair of idiots (no comment necessary) and wonder if anybody can shed some light on this mystery connection?

In the picture below, it's the 4th connector.

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #162
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer: 383
Solved in the Wunderfest thread.

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #163
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
I just finished installing the new Lynx Fairing on my bike.

So far I'm pretty pleased.

Installation is very simple, the unit provides nice wind protection, but does not get in the way when trail riding and puts out some nice light.

Yellow Pig - how is the Lynx fairing working out?

Any further observations re' wind protection versus ability to work around it offroad ... ?

Has anyone tried this fairing and a rally-type alternative (eg RR Evo-2) - if so, any comparisons ... ?

I want to get one or the other, and am currently leaning toward the BC Lynx option - cost, and the fact that I'm not doing rallies - but have never tried either ...

Opinions appreciated ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #164
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

So far so good. I did a 530 mile off-road loop yesterday and the fairing works very well.

I have played w/ different heights on the adjustable windscreen and have found the best hight is all the way down. This provides the cleanest air flow. Keeping air pressure off the chest, w/ smooth air hitting me in the chin guard.

The one thing I have noticed is that the angle of the dash is a bit too steep for the 690 to mount the gps and the dash flat. To properly see the LCD of the odo and the GPS I had to mount a 1cm spacer on the lower part of the ODO and GPS so they were tilted up a bit more for clearer viewing while seated.

For offroad use the Lynx is very unobtrusive. It mounts far enough forward that even when hopping logs or climbing steep embankments the screen does not hit your chest .

Not as impressed by the dual HID light output as others. Not sure if it's because I'm used to a dual Baja Designs squadron set up I have on my KTM 530 or if the color temperature of the HID's Ian provides is a bit cold. I prefer a warmer temperature. (What HID temperature do you send out w/ the kits Ian?). I still need to fine tune the aiming of the lights, which is not easy since it cannot be done w/ the fairing on the bike.

The other issue w/ the lights is that there is a lot of light bleed off into the fairing at night. You get lots of light leaking around the edges between the fairing and the dash, and some light leaking onto the wind screen through the two vertical windscreen adjustment slots. Very annoying/distracting when driving at night. I remember seeing a post where someone was trying to seal the light units off w/ some foam to prevent this issue. Might have to try it myself.

I'm gonna see if I can mount a BD Squadron in place of the Hellas to get better lights output and cut down on weight.

I really wanted to get the full RR fairing, but could not justify the cost and since it's all made of relatively thin fiberglass did not want to wreck it the first time I dropped the bike.

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 09:54 AM
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #165
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Hey Ian:

What temperature HID bulb do you send out w/ the kits?