The Complete KLX250/KLX300 Long Term Review Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everybody's riding? :clap

Nice to be away from the keyboard/screen. :wink:
  2. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    I had a great ride yesterday up at Brown's Camp OHV Area to the west of Portland. The new suspension parts really shined! I watched a friend's stock XT250 bouncing around ahead of me while my KLX soaked up the bumps beautifully. He was in 1st gear most of the time while I was in 2nd, often times wishing he'd go faster. :)

Rob
  3. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    My son will soon be closing a deal on a 2006 KLX250s. It's his first bike and he has a 30" inseam measurement. I'm looking at getting a set of the Kouba links to lower the bike some.

For those here who have done this:

How low did you go?
    Did you do anything else such as raising the forks?
    How is the handling post lowering?

Thanks for your help.
  4. monkey wrench

monkey wrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked up an 09 klx250 this weekend.

I'm thinking of putting the dyno jet kit in. will swapping the jets, while keeping the stock exhaust result in any performance gains? I like that the bike is quiet. I was hoping to "fatten" up the mix. I have a California bike so it's set up pretty lean stock.
  5. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    It will improve throttle response. I found the "bog" with the lean stock jetting nearly unrideable.
  6. grahamfitter

grahamfitter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does it also help in the cold wintry weather? Usually I fire up the bike, spend ages dressing up like the Michelin Man and find the choke still isn't ready to be pushed in.
  7. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Drilling out the plug covering the pilot screw will allow you to adjust it, and that will help. The Dyno jet kit has instructions for doing that.
  8. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lowering links...
    My son will soon be closing a deal on a 2006 KLX250s. It's his first bike and he has a 30" inseam measurement. I'm looking at getting a set of the Kouba links to lower the bike some.

For those here who have done this:

How low did you go?
    Did you do anything else such as raising the forks?
    How is the handling post lowering?

Thanks for your help.
  9. taranaki

taranaki bon vivant

Oddometer:
    My inseam's at 30" and the stock height is fine. I can't flat foot it but who needs to on a small DS?
  10. Shwafish

Shwafish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have not lowered mine and I would suggest that you let him see if he really needs it lowered before you do anything. I have a 27" inseam and was planing on lowering mine but then decided not to because I got used to the hight really quickly. The bike is so light that you do not need to be able to flat foot it. When I am wearing my street boots I can tiptoe but in my MX boots I just slide off to one side and flatfoot one foot. I think you will find the lack of response to your question is due to the fact that not that many people have found the need to lower their bikes.
  11. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, we'll see how it goes.
  12. monkey wrench

Oddometer:
    if you decide to lower, I have a short kickstand I'd be willing to trade for the standard length.
  13. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Do any of you guys use a vapor or endurance or some other aftermarket computer?

I'm fining my speedometer speed sensor is a weak link - it's gone thru 3, they are a small part and yet the dealer wants $220 USD!
    How reliable have trail techs computers been? How many/which sensors are you able to hook up?

Rick
  14. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wilco
  15. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Hey, any of you guys with 351 kits that still have your stock jug... PLEASE consider sending them to Bill Blue and getting your core charge back. I was on the phone with him today and he's turning down work from people who won't send in their cylinder, because he's out of cores.

I just got myself a core from another bike, and am shipping it off tomorrow. I will also be sending him my original jug as a credit towards the head porting work I'm going to have done too. So with luck, I'll be installing the 351 kit on the 24th or 25th of this month, and shipping off my other parts to him soonafter for the headwork, since I don't have a spare head to send in with the spare jug.

So, again, if you still have your stock one, or access to one, please consider sending it in.

Rob
  16. monkey wrench

Oddometer:
    in fact, I have lowering links I'd be willing to part with as well.
  17. ITHAPPENS

ITHAPPENS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found it too high with the stock seat and my inseam is about the same, 175lbs and 5'6". Purchased the 2" Kouba Link and lowered the front as much as possible. Easily flat footed but found the chain rubbing the chain upper roller unless having excessive pre-load. Re-installed the originals and cut down the seat, worked pretty well and height was Ok (Balls of the Feet). Recently sprung for the Seat Concepts low seat and am pleased with the results. I think being a NOOB he will appreciate being able to get at least this low, perhaps also the 1" Kouba Link???

PS: Didn't see a big difference in handling either way on the street but think the seat is a better idea (Mod or New)
    Also mine is a 2011, perhaps slightly lower stock than the 2006?
  18. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    How big, how much?

I didn't really just post that on ADV did I?
  19. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay, I've tried several different phrases, but can't find the thread that has all the "free mods" instructions. just several mentions of them. Anybody got the link? Thanks
  20. goofus

goofus Swamp Yankee 4Life

Oddometer:
    Agreed- I'm somewhere between 31-32" and I just lean it onto one foot at a dead stop. I'd rather be a bit higher for clearance on the trail than lower to flat-foot both feet. If I'm putting my feet down at all on the trail, I'm doing something wrong.