Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
istoker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
60csx - My friends .gpx file (500 points+) onto my 60csx

Tried searching and didn't get an exact answer to my question.

I received a .gpx track file from a friend. This track has like 5000-6000 points and i would like to keep all the points and load it into my 60csx.
I can load this .gpx file onto my 60csx fine through Basecamp but it only keeps up to 500 points. Since it is mostly singletrack and a lot of mileage i would like to see all of the points that it has created. I can view the .gpx file in Basecamp with my maps loaded and as well as convert it to .kml and read it in Google Earth, etc. Looks great.
But...I would like to place it onto my SD Card and have the 60csx read it but that doesnt seem to work when i place it in the Garmin/GPX directory.

Is this possible?
Am I doing something wrong?

I can rename it ACTIVE LOG and i can see it on my 60csx but that uses up 55% of the active log and if i use more for that day then it will max out?

Say for example i had 5 different 5000+ .gpx track files from friends and i wanted to load them all up into my 60csx, i cant always use the ACTIVE LOG method.

So just wondering how i can get this .gpx track file onto my 60csx with preserving all of the 5000-6000 points.

Thanks for any help.
istoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,053
Cut the long continuous track into segments of 500 or less points each. This will give you about a dozen track segments that you can save as a GPX to load and share. Since the 60 will handle a file of up to 20 track segments you will be good to go. This will be independent of your track logging as well.

To get fewer segments, cut the long track into about five "equal" segments (track point wise) and then filter each segment (under "Track Properties") using a max cap of 500 points for each segment. You will have less precise track segments but they will probably be fine.

Or, you can convert the long track to a map image that overlays whatever map you have in the unit. This will allow you to load a map overlay with the track that does not involve loading any tracks in the unit. There are several programs that do this. GPX2IMG is one. The overlay image can be shared with others as well.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
don't be afraid to give the track a light filter. It is amazing how many track points can be removed without changing the quality of the track.
Say if you have a 5000 point track you might very well get it down to 3500 points then break it down to 7 500 point gpx tracks. That would leave you 13 more tracks you could save or load
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,336
+1 to what Stormdog said, many track points of a full/high resolution track are not necessary. Filtering a track from 5000 down to 500 does not equate to 10% precision of the original, more like 80-90% of the original. Nothing lost giving it a try, just save the original with a different name incase you are unhappy with the results and besides your next GPS should handle the big track with ease.

Also consider Cannonshots recommendation regarding GPX2IMG, the only way to deal with very large and/or a large number of tracks on older units.

And No, the 60 can not read tracks from the SD card, all user data is read from the unit's memory.

If none of the above is suitable then you are in the market for a newer GPS, 78 or Montana.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
You do have to get your tracks into the 60's internal memory and not just copy gpx files to the SD card.

I have always used Mapsource for this. But I assume that if you have the 60 connected to your computer via a USB cable, Basecamp will see it.

You should be able to right click on the folder or individual tracks and select Send To. Then select the 60 in the resulting directory that the Send To command generates.

At least this is how I do it now on my Montana.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdog View Post
don't be afraid to give the track a light filter. It is amazing how many track points can be removed without changing the quality of the track.
+1

I promote Dual Sport events and provide customers with GPS tracks. My rule of thumb is One 500 point track from gas to gas or about 100-125 miles. Plenty of resolution to not get lost. Only exception is a bunch of switchbacks but Can you really get lost? Another is across a meadow with no trail and you must hit trail on other side.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
istoker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Sorry for not replying sooner, just got busying doing some stuff.
Thanks so much for the detailed replies.
I will be trying to filter it down a bit and see how that works out.
I could care less about the pavement and most of the fireroads, it is some of the singletrack that is sort of hidden sometimes that i dont want people to miss.
But thanks once again on the replies.
I use Basecamp and it was hard to sort of find the "filter" for the program.
Lots of right clicking and searching around. There wasn't just a simple filter button on the tracks.
But i will be checking it out. Thanks.
istoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,336
In BaseCamp (PC) right click the track for the list in the left side pane, from the options hover over "Advanced" then select "Filter Selected Track...".

I suggest using the option at the bottom "Maximum Points"

Just save the track with a different name so as not to loose the original.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by istoker View Post
I could care less about the pavement and most of the fireroads, it is some of the singletrack that is sort of hidden sometimes that i dont want people to miss.
That problem is what I was talking about. Split your track into three segments before single track, single track, and after single track. Filter segent 1 and 3. I assume single track is short and possibly less than 500 points so don't filter. You can also now split the single track in half and use 1,000 points.