ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
JohnGalt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Question Colorado guy relocating to Washington...maybe

I have a job opportunity in Longview, and I am hoping to get some good info from the ADV group who lives in the area.

I like the company I would be working for, my main trepidation involves relocating to an area that I am not real familiar with - no friends, no family.

I have been living in the mountains in Colorado for almost 10 years. I am used to small ski town living where everyone is in to outdoor activities. I am concerned with things like where to live, the weather, will I still get to do all the outdoor things I enjoy, finding good people to do activities with. I love doing anything outdoors: adventure riding, dirt biking, mountain biking, trail running, camping, skiing, and the list goes on. Has anyone here moved from Colorado to the PNW? Does anyone have advice on where to live in or near Longview? Is there any good riding (ADV, Dirt Bike, MTB) near that area?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,000
Haven't lived in Co, but did move to this area from Nevada, the weather is definately different here obviously. Much more rainy and gray days are in store for you. But none of the cold that you get in Colorado. You can do most outdoor activities year round here, as long as you got the right gear to deal with the rain. There's tons of Hiking, Camping, Fishing opportunties near Longview. Everything on your Outdoor list is available here with the exception of nearby skiing. It's available, but you are going to have a longer couple hour drive to get the ski areas. Crosscountry etc is closer though. If youare willing to make the drive, there's some really good choices though (Mt Hood, Stevens Pass etc.).

Now the bad...Longview doesn't have the...err... best economy. I've had friends that have had "problems" with some Longview's seedier elements. If you are used to a more upbeat, trendy ski-town, Longview is definately not the same (Think more "Blue Collar"). You can find good folks there, into outdoors, and all that, you just might have to look a little harder. I also wouldn't buy long-term housing in the town until I knew the areas to avoid etc.

This is only my $.02 worth, I live 30 miles south of there, but have spent some time in Longview. Others may have different Points of View.

That being said, it's sunny and 70 degree's here right now. The flowers are in bloom, we've had a dry spring, but plenty of water in the mountains. I'm pulling my 3rd weekend of taking my boat out on the local rivers hunting for Spring Chinook on Saturday, and Dual Sport riding in forests in Sunday. All within about 20 miles of home.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
SuperD!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
What Scott said.
SuperD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
JohnGalt OP
Adventurer

Scott, thanks for your help. What you said is more or less what the employer told me, but it is good to hear it confirmed by an independent party. I think that is good advice as to not buying in Longview until I have lived there a bit and know where I want to be. I hear traffic in that area is not bad, so commuting is an option. Are there any other places near Longview that would be better? I have looked on the map but don't see much.

Thanks guys for your help. If I move to the area I would love to meet up with some inmates and do some riding.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
Scott, thanks for your help. What you said is more or less what the employer told me, but it is good to hear it confirmed by an independent party. I think that is good advice as to not buying in Longview until I have lived there a bit and know where I want to be. I hear traffic in that area is not bad, so commuting is an option. Are there any other places near Longview that would be better? I have looked on the map but don't see much.

Thanks guys for your help. If I move to the area I would love to meet up with some inmates and do some riding.
You might look around on the Oregon side of the river. It is forested ridges versus flatland. WA has no income tax but has sales tax, reverse for OR. Something you might want to factor in if needed.
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7MDL View Post
You might look around on the Oregon side of the river. It is forested ridges versus flatland. WA has no income tax but has sales tax, reverse for OR. Something you might want to factor in if needed.
essentially wages are lower than OR, which makes up for the income tax somewhat. working in WA and living in OR, imho, would be counterproductive.
i know some peeps who live in Woodland which is close, but it's also a flood plain.
access to GPNF is good, and has some of the best riding around.

there's no shortage of outdoor activities around here. just plan on being wet. usually > 6 months out of the year.

i think there's a dude from longview who'll post up too.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,057
Lived in Colorado for 20 years..then Vegas for 5...now here in Vancouver..I like it, been here a year now..

You have to learn to do stuff in the rain..but it's not Co. thunderstorm type stuff..just drizzle...mist..

It's pretty neat to be in the mountains and on the beach in the same day..keep in mind the mountains are but wee ones..no fourteeners here...barley anything over a few thousand feet..bring richer jets..lol...and green..no beetle kill..it's way prettier than Colorado.

PS. Traffic sux in Portland..bad...everyone drives like they are on island time..safely 10 below the limit in the fast lane, right next to someone..get used to it..after knowing how to drive in snow and ice...suprisingly, rain scares the shit out of most people here..and though I've never seen ice here, they talk about it like the apocalypse...if there is snow in the forecast, they close schools preemptively..

VEGASGSA screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 11:23 PM
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
woodsrider-boyd
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 448
Vegas summed it up nicely I think. I moved to the semi-rural burbs of Seattle about 20 yrs ago from New Jersey, no real experience with Longview other then driving through.

For the PacNW in general though, I still have not got used to the freaking drizzle and gloomy weather. Drives me crazy.

It is a beautiful place though, the people are friendly.

The riding and outdoor activities are world class IMO. Biking, hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, the list goes on and on. And the variety is amazing, rain forest, desert, coast, mountains. Easy access to British Columbia which is amazing in it own right, and easy access to Oregon and NorCal, again, both amazing places.

I think if you can deal with some gloom and drizzle, you'll be good to go.

If you can't, you'll be like me, I can't wait to move (waiting for the kids to go off to college). -Ed

'06 Husqvarna WR125
woodsrider-boyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Locations to live, if you don't mind a little longer commute there is Ridgefield, Salmon Creek (Think North Vancouver), Battleground (development area, nice town).

Also the speed limit is 70MPH just north of Vancouver all the way to Longview so it only takes ~35 minutes. There isn't a whole lot of traffic heading northbound during the morning commute, most traffic heads southbound into OR.
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
keep in mind the mountains are but wee ones..no fourteeners here...barley anything over a few thousand feet..
Of course the mountains also start at sea level and not at 6,000 feet so they're not that tiny...

Quote:
PS. Traffic sux in Portland..bad...everyone drives like they are on island time..safely 10 below the limit in the fast lane, right next to someone..get used to it..after knowing how to drive in snow and ice...suprisingly, rain scares the shit out of most people here..and though I've never seen ice here, they talk about it like the apocalypse...if there is snow in the forecast, they close schools preemptively..
I've been in more ditches and snowbanks as a passenger in cars/trucks/SUVs driven by people from Colorado than any other region by a mile. Everyone from Colorado thinks they know how to drive in the snow, but they don't understand Pac NW snow-ice. The snow and ice in Oregon is completely different than the constant below freezing snowpack you get in in the mountains of Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana that provides great traction. In Oregon when it snows it typically gets warm enough during the day for the snow to melt a bit. Then it gets below freezing at night and it's solid black ice in the morning. In Portland they don't have any snowplows in the city fleet so a couple of inches of snow turns the roads in to a hockey rink. You'll see cars stopped on the highway sliding sideways into barriers and other cars because the road is so slick there's not enough traction to keep a car stuck to the road crown. They also get terrible ice storms in Portland every few years where it's 26 degrees and raining. I've seen ice more than inch thick built up on power lines and trees. You can't walk down a slight slope, let alone drive. And yeah, I lived in Breckenridge for a few winters and spent a lot of time Denver while I was there so I know what the conditions are like in Colorado.

People in Oregon are polite drivers, or at least they used to be, before so many people moved here from other parts of the country where driving is some kind of competition. I know, I used to be one of those folks that got frustrated by people doing crazy things like letting people merge and waiting for someone to cross the street. I can't drive safely in New York any more because I'm not aggressive enough...thank god. The speed limit on lots of Oregon rural highways is still 55. Plan accordingly.

The Northwest is great. I've had a lot of opportunities to move back to Colorado and haven't considered any of them seriously. I like being able to go from the Ocean to the mountains to the desert in less than 4 hours. The cities are fun and interesting. There's salmon and steelhead in the rivers. There's albacore in the ocean. There's good, not great, hunting. There's great mountain biking. There's some of the best windsurfing/kiteboarding in the world is 45 minutes up the Columbia River Gorge. There's amazing motorcycle riding. There's great food both in and out of the cities. There's some of the best wineries in the country spread from west of Portland to Eastern Washington.

The weather on the wet side of the mountains is annoying for 3 months out of the year, but I'd rather have 45 and drizzle with the occasional beautiful day than 30 and sleeting in the crush of humanity back east. Flowers in Portland start blooming in February. It doesn't get unbearably hot in the summer. You can be in the desert in a couple of hours if you really need a bit of sunshine. I can't tell you how many times I've driven home from visiting the in laws in Portland in the rain to get home to bright and sunny days. I was never bothered by the rain when I lived in Portland so I might not get that part.

Colorado runs deep in people that are from there. I went to college in Portland with a lot of folks from Colorado and almost everyone of them eventually ended up back there. The folks that were from back east and Cali almost all made their way back to the Pac NW if they were dumb enough to leave in the first place.
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,744
You should probably include your age and marital status. If you are young or middle-aged and single, I hope your car gets good gas mileage, because you are going to spend a lot of time in Portland.

Scott's description is spot on in my opinion.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
Of course the mountains also start at sea level and not at 6,000 feet so they're not that tiny...

I've been in more ditches and snowbanks as a passenger in cars/trucks/SUVs driven by people from Colorado than any other region by a mile. Everyone from Colorado thinks they know how to drive in the snow, but they don't understand Pac NW snow-ice. The snow and ice in Oregon is completely different than the constant below freezing snowpack you get in in the mountains of Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana that provides great traction. In Oregon when it snows it typically gets warm enough during the day for the snow to melt a bit. Then it gets below freezing at night and it's solid black ice in the morning. In Portland they don't have any snowplows in the city fleet so a couple of inches of snow turns the roads in to a hockey rink. You'll see cars stopped on the highway sliding sideways into barriers and other cars because the road is so slick there's not enough traction to keep a car stuck to the road crown. They also get terrible ice storms in Portland every few years where it's 26 degrees and raining. I've seen ice more than inch thick built up on power lines and trees. You can't walk down a slight slope, let alone drive. And yeah, I lived in Breckenridge for a few winters and spent a lot of time Denver while I was there so I know what the conditions are like in Colorado.

People in Oregon are polite drivers, or at least they used to be, before so many people moved here from other parts of the country where driving is some kind of competition. I know, I used to be one of those folks that got frustrated by people doing crazy things like letting people merge and waiting for someone to cross the street. I can't drive safely in New York any more because I'm not aggressive enough...thank god. The speed limit on lots of Oregon rural highways is still 55. Plan accordingly.

The Northwest is great. I've had a lot of opportunities to move back to Colorado and haven't considered any of them seriously. I like being able to go from the Ocean to the mountains to the desert in less than 4 hours. The cities are fun and interesting. There's salmon and steelhead in the rivers. There's albacore in the ocean. There's good, not great, hunting. There's great mountain biking. There's some of the best windsurfing/kiteboarding in the world is 45 minutes up the Columbia River Gorge. There's amazing motorcycle riding. There's great food both in and out of the cities. There's some of the best wineries in the country spread from west of Portland to Eastern Washington.

The weather on the wet side of the mountains is annoying for 3 months out of the year, but I'd rather have 45 and drizzle with the occasional beautiful day than 30 and sleeting in the crush of humanity back east. Flowers in Portland start blooming in February. It doesn't get unbearably hot in the summer. You can be in the desert in a couple of hours if you really need a bit of sunshine. I can't tell you how many times I've driven home from visiting the in laws in Portland in the rain to get home to bright and sunny days. I was never bothered by the rain when I lived in Portland so I might not get that part.

Colorado runs deep in people that are from there. I went to college in Portland with a lot of folks from Colorado and almost everyone of them eventually ended up back there. The folks that were from back east and Cali almost all made their way back to the Pac NW if they were dumb enough to leave in the first place.
Agreed..they go from the coast straight up..and too, they are steeper than Colorado hills..that being said..10,000 feet, is 10,000 feet...hey..our bikes make better power!! Woot!!

Yes, the ice here,(seen pix) is like back east..builds up..we really didn't have thst in Colorado..however, after a week of sub zero...things are fairly frozen..

It is not polite to hold up 20 miles of traffic driving the same speed as the car next to you..nor is it polite to see me coming in the passing lane..and pull over in front of me and brake check me because you think 60 is too fast..

Folks are generally nice here..very true..I am admittedly an aggressive driver, Vegas will make you that way..I'll get over it..but I like driving fast..

Yeah, probably more crashes in Colorado..of course many times the snow and ice days driven..so, moot point.

Agreed on the wine..

I like it more all the time..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
JohnGalt OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all of the responses. I need to decide this week if I am taking the job. Tough choice for me. I like the company, but am unsure about the move. As was mentioned, Colorado runs deep in people from there.

To say a little more about myself, I am in my thirties and am getting married this summer. No kids, but plan on having some within 3-5 years.

Keep the comments coming if you got anything else to add.

Thanks again for all of the help.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,879
^^^ That brings up the important question: what does your fiancee think about a prospective move, and what about her job prospects?
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #15
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
...suprisingly, rain scares the shit out of most people here..and though I've never seen ice here, they talk about it like the apocalypse...if there is snow in the forecast, they close schools preemptively..
It's because everyone in Portland is from Brooklyn!

(Portlandia reference, watch the documentry on the area--it's not fake, it's all 100% true!)
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote