User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
GS-LC - problems

The purpose of this thread is to have a space to share ANY problems and difficulties and its eventual solutions that we are experiencing with this new and great bike !

My GS 1200 LC arrived 11 days ago. So far I have only riden 480 Km. Yesterday, the high beam switch stopped working after I flashed high beams to alert an oncoming car. It got stuck on high and the button just felt as disengaged from the internal switch.

I opened the left "box" where all switchs are mounted and found the internal high beam switch stuck in, not returning to its off (out) position. After I played with it a little, it returned to the off position but its still grabbing and not returning at once to its off state promptly. At least I got to switch the high beams off.

Tomorrow morning I am taking it to the shop. Will see what the mechanics tell me.

I have seen the same thing happening to the light switch and "accelerate" switch on the cruise control on a demo bike at the dealership where I purchased it. Apparently, this is a mechanical problem that occurs inside the switches as they seem to start grabbing once pusshed in.

I wonder if anyone has experineced this and what where the solutions given under warranty.

I am affraid we will have another recall..

Andre

atg screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 02:06 PM Reason: spelling
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Today, just a few hours after I started the topic I went for a ride. Switched the hot grips on and the button started to get stuck as well... Doesn' look good !

Has anyone else been having problems with sticking handlebar switches ? Am I the only lucky one ?

Andre
Old 05-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,461
My problem is that BMW hasn't yet started building the bike I ordered. What's with that?
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
nba74
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
Today, just a few hours after I started the topic I went for a ride. Switched the hot grips on and the button started to get stuck as well... Doesn' look good !

Has anyone else been having problems with sticking handlebar switches ? Am I the only lucky one ?

Andre
Switchs problems seems to be a common problem with others bmw models as well, mine had a turning switch failure at 1000km and sometimes the starter switch get stuck too and you need to push it a bit harder. A friends bike got all left console failure after a wash... So sooner or later I hope that a recall is needed.
nba74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nba74 View Post
Switchs problems seems to be a common problem with others bmw models as well, mine had a turning switch failure at 1000km and sometimes the starter switch get stuck too and you need to push it a bit harder. A friends bike got all left console failure after a wash... So sooner or later I hope that a recall is needed.
Went to BMW's shop today and their vereduct is to exchange both left and right switch consoles ! Unfortunatelly there are none available in Brazil and they will have to be imported from Germany which should take 20 to 30 days.

Once warranty was aprooved for an exchange, we had it opened and spray some WD 40 inside the switches and they all came to life again !

The mechanics do not know the reason for this type of filure but suspect that it may be water related. Pesonally I don't beliebve so as the "grab effect" seems to be purely mechanical. In any event they did advise me that, prior to the exchange i would better cover them with a plastic foil before washing the bike.

It also seems that they had similar problems with the K 1600 that use similar switches.

Andre
Old 05-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
I experienced a stuck horn. It made me seem much angrier than I was. then I kept riding. it was great

whoa, dude...
madefrtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 7,455
And BMW switch gear used to be the gold standard on motorcycles...
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
And BMW switch gear used to be the gold standard on motorcycles...
Yes ideed. I just bought a pristine '06 RT with very nice switch gear and integrated reservoirs. It's too bad they changed.

I do like the switches and reservoirs better on the LC than on the K1600.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
Japanviking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I have the same issue with the high beam switch. The new type of switch gear seems to be fragile. I also noticed that a few of the other buttons feel stiff after the bike has been wet.

This is probably a generic issue with the type of switch they use. Not sure it will be better with a new set of switches. I guess BMW will need to change the design if they end up replacing enough though.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:26 AM   #10
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Had a luxury problem shortly. The ESA button didn't respond during a drive, but the modes worked. It happened during a ride and the next day everything was fine again. It could have been me doing something wrong, but not quite sure.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanviking View Post
I have the same issue with the high beam switch. The new type of switch gear seems to be fragile. I also noticed that a few of the other buttons feel stiff after the bike has been wet.

This is probably a generic issue with the type of switch they use. Not sure it will be better with a new set of switches. I guess BMW will need to change the design if they end up replacing enough though.
I truly believe that if enough people complain with the dealers and request that the defective parts are exchanged under warranty, BMW will do something about it !

As always, the human's body most sensitive part is always the wallet...

André
Old 05-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Had a luxury problem shortly. The ESA button didn't respond during a drive, but the modes worked. It happened during a ride and the next day everything was fine again. It could have been me doing something wrong, but not quite sure.
Did you notice if it may be water related ? Have you washed your bike just prior to this occurring ?

Andre
Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,385
Water Boxer having problems with water! Snork!

Really inexcusable, I suspect that the search for the lowest bidder has something to do with it.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #14
krellheat
Pepsi Challenged

Oddometer: 1,920
What if its raining? The switches will no doubt get wet and fail?

Devil's advocate. Hell conscientious and informed and downright argumentative dissenter.
krellheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
my horn switch failed for good this time. Sweet dealer has a replacement on the way. South Sound BMW has always been good to me.

whoa, dude...
madefrtv is offline   Reply With Quote