ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #17221
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
I don't know much about dyno sessions. I was looking at it as a way to get quantitative data on a/f and HP/torque so that I can get to the bottom of why I'm consuming fuel faster than a burning oil well.

My thread on OC: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884887

is that why you keep getting new bikes! serious?!? you haven't noticed a pattern here on every bike you own? the fuel economy goes down when YOU get on it. come on quit blaming the bikes
Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #17222
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,115
A good dyno operator is not cheap. I would guess about a $100 and hour. You want to see what the Air-fuel ratios are at different RPMS and throttle positions. Then adjust accordingly. They will set your main jet first (probably your culprit) then the needle position and maybe needle profile, then the pilot jets and air screws.
You need to work backwards to do it correctly, since there is a lot of overlap of circuits.
Not knowing how hard it is to get to your carbs and make changes I would say 3-4 hours to do the job.
If it is done right it is money well spent.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #17223
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,097
x2 what Rich said with one additional tidbit. some people don't like a properly jetted bike. I've seen many different jetting threads where people now that its too rich here or to lean here but jet it that way because it feels right to them or its how they liek the trottle response etc etc etc.

What you shoudl ask yourself is what exactly are you trying to correct and then figure out if its a jetting issue. Some things are like a definite flat spot, popping, surging and stuff like that. If ist you just dont liek the way the power comes on or it just doesnt feel right it may be your personal riding style and just handing the bike off to a dyno tuner may not "fix" the way it feels and may make it actually worse. You may get more from your money by talking to the tuner first and telling them exactly what you want out of the job
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #17224
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
Um...how much do you weigh?

You think that might have an impact?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #17225
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
is that why you keep getting new bikes! serious?!? you haven't noticed a pattern here on every bike you own? the fuel economy goes down when YOU get on it. come on quit blaming the bikes

What has two thumbs, and is the common denominator in all my problems?

Old 05-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #17226
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
x2 what Rich said with one additional tidbit. some people don't like a properly jetted bike. I've seen many different jetting threads where people now that its too rich here or to lean here but jet it that way because it feels right to them or its how they liek the trottle response etc etc etc.

What you shoudl ask yourself is what exactly are you trying to correct and then figure out if its a jetting issue. Some things are like a definite flat spot, popping, surging and stuff like that. If ist you just dont liek the way the power comes on or it just doesnt feel right it may be your personal riding style and just handing the bike off to a dyno tuner may not "fix" the way it feels and may make it actually worse. You may get more from your money by talking to the tuner first and telling them exactly what you want out of the job
Great points. I used to create maps for roadrace teams and one team I worked with had two equally good riders, and they liked totally different maps. One wanted hard hitting maps and no over revs in corner. The other preferred an easier kit and over revs in corners.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #17227
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,395
Hey guys, a former local who moved to the west coast just rolled into town on his R1150GS and blew out his rear shock.

Anyone local happen to have a spare lying around?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #17228
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Does anyone know a GOOD dyno shop in the area? I'm looking to sort out my fueling (carbs) a bit, and I lack seat-of-the-pants-dyno-fu.

Thanks!
I believe that they will have someone at the Twisted Throttle Open House

https://www.eventbrite.com/event/576...f=enivtefor001
Old 05-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #17229
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwickKLR View Post
I believe that they will have someone at the Twisted Throttle Open House

https://www.eventbrite.com/event/576...f=enivtefor001
The guys that do those are just giving you a number in terms of HP and torque, not really setting your bike up on a one day event.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #17230
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
The guys that do those are just giving you a number in terms of HP and torque, not really setting your bike up on a one day event.

I dont know anything about Dynos, just saw that they posted about it and relayed the info. Either way, any NYC folks headed that way on May 18th? A few of us are headed there by way of the Orient Point Ferry.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #17231
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,996
Spring is officially here...

...and I say that because the NYMSTF has received and forwarded its first motorcycle -only checkpoint alert for the year.

Remember everyone, be vigilant and if you see a motorcycle -only checkpoint you should report it by sending a text message to us at 347-410-MSTF (-6783) starting with the word "checkpoint" (please, that part is important) and describing its location briefly.

See http://nymstf.org/cas for more details.

Ride safe,
-Brad
Old 05-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #17232
Skuli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thanks

I got a hold of Dave and he's taking care of it. Thanks for the referral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
A little late, but here you go:
4th State Metals
120 Hope Street
Williamsburg, Brooklyn 11211
718-599-3223
Ask for Isaac or Dave, and tell them your from ADV.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #17233
arZan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
MC Checkpoint at Manhattan Bridge

Just got stopped at a MC specific checkpoint at the Manhattan end of the Manhattan Bridge.

Officer Kempinski (#26844) jumped into the HOV lane and stopped the car in front of me. Only when I came to a complete halt, did he allow the car to go and pulled me aside.

Stated that its a MC specific checkpoint. I told him that I thought those were illegal and he flipped out. Turned on his asshole quotient.

Asked me for the papers. I gave insurance and license and was searching for the reg. Told him that I did have it somewhere because I also had the 14 sticker. Well the man was impatient so started writing a ticket. I did find the paper registration, but by then it was too late.

I asked if I can mail a copy in with the ticket, and he said no, he would make sure that I need to show up in court. At that point I told him in very polite terms that he was being a jerk !.

Of course that hurt his ego even more and so he starts checking all the lights and indicators and the horn etc etc.

Finally writes the violation for no registration and I leave.

Oh well !!

93 Yamaha Vmax 1200
91 Honda Nighthawk 750
87 Kawasaki KB-100

News Views & Analysis | Urban Architecture | Parsi Khabar
arZan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #17234
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arZan View Post
Just got stopped at a MC specific checkpoint at the Manhattan end of the Manhattan Bridge.

Officer Kempinski (#26844) jumped into the HOV lane and stopped the car in front of me. Only when I came to a complete halt, did he allow the car to go and pulled me aside.

Stated that its a MC specific checkpoint. I told him that I thought those were illegal and he flipped out. Turned on his asshole quotient.

Asked me for the papers. I gave insurance and license and was searching for the reg. Told him that I did have it somewhere because I also had the 14 sticker. Well the man was impatient so started writing a ticket. I did find the paper registration, but by then it was too late.

I asked if I can mail a copy in with the ticket, and he said no, he would make sure that I need to show up in court. At that point I told him in very polite terms that he was being a jerk !.

Of course that hurt his ego even more and so he starts checking all the lights and indicators and the horn etc etc.

Finally writes the violation for no registration and I leave.

Oh well !!

Be polite. Resist the urge to complain on the interwebs. File a CCRB complaint right now!

http://www.nyc.gov/html/ccrb/

Authority figure with sandy vaginas shouldn't be permitted to trample over the rights of law-abiding citizens.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #17235
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
be polite. Resist the urge to complain on the interwebs. File a ccrb complaint right now!

http://www.nyc.gov/html/ccrb/

authority figure with sandy vaginas shouldn't be permitted to trample over the rights of law-abiding citizens.
+1

I don't mean to stop anyone from complaining on the Internet but the important part is to contact the CCRB pronto.