Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2006, 04:36 AM   #46
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Swon - why is riding at night in WV a death sentence?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:09 AM   #47
S Won OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
CRITTERS! On the road! The deer are everywhere here. I've had more close calls with deer during daylight hours to scare the bajeebers out of myself! I still ride after dark, but I keep the speed way down. You gotta be on your toes, it's no fun!

S Won
S Won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #48
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 432
I have been following this thread and some others with interest since I am considering the emig damper. I am not an expert on steering geometry nor frankly do I want to be. My primary concern is to improve performance in soft sand mostly two track and some single. I was convinced I wanted the damper and additional offset however after reading the Dirt Bike article and some other posts It would seem I would be better off without changing offset.

This is a big investment and I would like to do it right. My head is spinning after reading all these posts and several other threads of similar vein. Can any one break it down in simple terms for sand riding? To offset or not that is the question.

Btw I have an 05 S model with stock suspension.

Thanks
redfishguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #49
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,449
I'll I can tell ya is that Scot Harden likes the 20mm offset, and it is used on the Dakar bikes. How much differents does it make? I did a few changes all at once (handle bars, suspention, Emig 20mm, 1.85 front rim) and now the bike feels way different. But Im not sure the 20mm offset has any thing to do with the new feel.

A trusted friend that knows these bikes in and out, and had nothing to gain by me buy'n the 20mm offset, told me it was the way to go. So I went.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:09 AM   #50
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,587
I fear sand. Sand skeers me. Sometimes, the best route is to force yourself into a situation where you have no choice. I did that recently and got up on the pegs as quickly as possible, gave it more gas as prudently as feasible and got into the higher gears.

Oh yeah - I had installed a used Emig triple and dampener.

It all worked well and I only had two low-speed drops when others in front of me were stuggling.

Must have been the do-dads.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:12 AM   #51
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,694
i want an emig.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:49 PM   #52
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
There's another aspect not yet commented on. I have the 950 with both standard and super moto wheels. The PO said that he needed to get the full Emig three piece setup to get both to work.

So from that, I can say that if you do go full Emig and then wish to add Super Moto wheels to your adventure, you can. My 950 in super moto dress works wonderfully.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:18 PM   #53
BigMac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I am reasonably confident the bike would perform better in really soft, heavy conditions like deep sand and wet mud w/20mm offset, my sole reservation is the durability of the Emig damper.

I know from personal experience how bombproof reliable the Scotts/Ohlins damper is, I also know from personal experience how unreliable some others like the GPR and in road cylindrical damper world, the Hyperpro can be. Now seeing a couple of respondants to this thread have noted their Emig damper blew a seal, I'm even more reticent. Customer service is swell and all but if my damper blows up in the middle of deep sand in Guatamala, it's not going to be an easy or fun trip home even if Emig apologizes for the failure and replaces the unit under warranty. Warranties mean didley to me, I just want reliable.

The simple truth of matter is that this is EXACTLY my kind of riding with this bike. It's been to Yukatan 3 times and I'm heading for Guatamala shortly. If somebody, ANYBODY could come up with a way to under-bar mount a Scotts damper w/20mm offset I would pay almost any price. If not, I'll likely get the 18mm Scotts kit unless somebody can REALLY convince me the Emig damper is as bombproof reliable as the Scotts. FWIW: I would also have preferred Emig offer a less "bling" finish on their products. The shiny "look what I got!!" finishes are the very thing that atracts bike theives, especially in regions these bikes are intended to be ridden. What's wrong with mat grey? Take care.
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:58 PM   #54
YOGOI
Prick

Can't argue that the Scotts would probable the first pick of most people, but Emig has come up with such a great complete package that its hard to argue against going with his set up. As far as bling goes, I did mine in a semi-bling.

Note the trees are black. You could do every thing in black if you wanted, he has a few collors to choose from including leaving it aluminum, or I bet Emig could come up with a gray at no extra charge. Which brings me to the next subject. I have had a blown seal. I let it go for a few months, and even though it kept leak'n, it never stopped dampining. When I did send it in, it was back on the bike within a weak, free of charge. You just cant beat that type of service these days.

As far as travel'n and having a problem. Its not like your going to be stranded. The bike is will work without it. Plus, if your traveling on the 950, a leaky stabilizer will probably be the least of your worries.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:11 PM   #55
YOGOI
Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat
i want an emig.
How the hell are ya Goat. Were ya been hide'n?

Old 04-20-2006, 11:32 PM   #56
ZenMoto
Bikeslut

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac
If somebody, ANYBODY could come up with a way to under-bar mount a Scotts damper w/20mm offset I would pay almost any price.
Give BRP a call, they might be able to make something work for you. Their S.U.B. mount with a Scott's/Ohlins has worked very well on my XR. They have KTM stuff, just not sure if it will fit the 950.

They have always been very helpful on the phone, so give them a ring.

http://www.brpit.com/pages/info_page...ount_info.html

Save $5 on a photo hosting accout at
https://www.smugmug.com/signup.mg by inserting cupon code R1bXVzHCYtHts
ZenMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:40 PM   #57
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,974
ok, so what 5.4 springs did you fit????

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #58
LateNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Installed!

Got them installed, but...

They feel a little weird. I haven't taken them it off road yet.

When I go to make a turn, it almost feels like the bars what to turn quick or it even drops faster in the turn. Not sure if this is a good thing or what.

or if I need to adjust the front suspension at all since the install.

thanks
Old 05-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #59
YOGOI
Prick

WOW, its always amazing when these old threads reappear.

The 20mm offset will make the bike turn in quicker. The 20mm offset is more unstable (or should I just say "less stable") than the stock offset. BUT, it preforms better over bumps, and wont unsettle the bike as much as the stock offset.

Make sure you dont try to over use the damper. Mine is set at the #1-#5 most of the time. I only turn it up past #5 if I have a long straight away and speeds may climb close to triple digits.

YOGOI screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 07:43 AM
Old 05-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #60
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Can someone answer this:

950 - 20mm offset

990 - 18mm offset

Is that correct?