Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #16
Dickyb
Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Hey JohnyTh, looks as though you'll be swinging by.

Pop in if you have time Have a good trip

Cheers,

Dickyb

DickyB's Turkish Delights
Dickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #17
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Go tur og lykke til, sitter her i dræt vær og missuner deg
Old 05-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #18
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
0830 i was ready to go. A nice lady at the hotel signed my witness form for start of ride and i was off. The first leg down to Hannover was easy. But there i hit a traffic jam. Don't know how much time i lost there but it was a fair bit.
When i had done 750km of the 1600 i was dead tired. and thought that i might not make it. But a sandwich and a longer pause i was good to go again. And now it was easy. At 1100 km i was saying to myself anyone can do this, and i got bored.
So i thought i should start a new hobby: Train spotting, i saw a few trains. One very long freight train and even a ICE. But not even the ICE made me interested so i gave up on train spotting
Then i though about collecting bugs... but even if i did collect a few hundreds, they all looked the same when i collected them on my windscreen. So gave up on that to, and went back to concentrating on doing the Saddle score ride.
I did say that my spirits was high after 1100 km but then it got dark. And the last 400kms was rough. I arrived at a service station on the Hungarian border and did a check on how many miles i had done. MY Gps and bike told me i had enough, but some of them was due to a detour because of roadworks and some was faulty navigation. In south east Germany the gps wanted me to leave the motorway and i was happy to do so. The flat straight motorways quickly become boring. But after a mile or so the road was blocked. i tried to circle around it and pick up my track on the other side. but each time there was a new roadblock... i wonder what was going on inside that area. So i knew i might be a bit low on milage for the saddle score. so i got back on the bike and did another 100 kms. Found someone to sign for me and took this pickture. Notice all the bugs.

How many bugs must die to do a saddle score?

Somewhere along my route i must have eaten something bad because my stomach was giving me a hard time and i had to do several stops at service stations to use the toilet. Cost me 0,7 Euros each time. A little annoyed about paying this each time, i stopped at a Hungarian rest area. Went in to have a look at the bathroom. And wow it instantly cured me. There was no need for a toilet after looking into this one.

Warning GROSS picture following.

Sorry about the gross picture but it have its place in this story. Now im happy to pay for a toilet visit.
It was time to sleep and i was dead tired. Knowing myself i knew i would most likely only sleep one or two hours so did not want do spend money on a hotel for that short a time. No camp sites where to be found so i decided to do some stealth camping, after all I'm a army sniper. i should be able to do that. I found a spot hidden by some trees and rolled out my sleeping bag to catch some z's. I woke up one hr later and noticed two young girls at the road 100 meters fro my position. They did not notice me so i got some more sleep. Then 30 min later i woke up again. Now there was horses running by my camp. I looked up again and the girls where looking up at me. I got dressed and then one of the girls, at a age 14/15 walked up to me. Brave she must be. I explained that i was tired and had to sleep and i was leaving now. She smiled happy and walked back. Apparently there was some horse day thingy going on. Just my luck to camp in the middle of the track.

Here is a pic of my camp. you can even see the girls looking up at me.
Normally i like girls looking at me but this time they where way to young and i wanted to sleep

Not many pictures today. but i was to busy riding.

Next time will be Budapest and i will have more pictures i promise
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyb View Post
Hey JohnyTh, looks as though you'll be swinging by.

Pop in if you have time Have a good trip

Cheers,

Dickyb

DickyB's Turkish Delights
Hi
Would love to. How much time is needed from Antalya to your place? My wife leave the 18 may so im heeding that way then. Do you have space for a tent?
Would fit perfectly into my plan

Tom you should have been here!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #20
korhan
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb

Dear johnnytt, I appreciate your RR. I live in istanbul, just give me a call if you have any issues (hope not) while in istanbul or in Turkey. My cell is 00905326414473. Have a nice trip and good luck.
korhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #21
AnjinSan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Hmmm, home now and I have time to catch up with your RR. I hope you found a place to sleep for tonight. We have wifi at home so you will have no excuse not to continue your RR by tomorrow evening. Well... this is unless we will go out and have some drinks. Then... hmmm...
Old 05-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #22
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So after the girls busted my not so shelty camp i packed my stuff and got back on my hors..ehh bike. Bonjovi singing: Im a cowboy, on a steel horse i ride i rode past the two girls and back out on the road. but only for a few hundred yards. Stopped at a service stations rest are and made myself a hot breakfast.

Thanx to the Norwegian army to suply me with food. It taste like shit but you can live on it.
To be honest its not that bad. you only need a little water and that start a chemical reaction that cooks the meal.
After this i dared to visit the toilets but after a quick look inside i decided not to. Almost lost my brekfast after that. And no don't worry there will be no picture this time.

Got back on the bike in a hurry and took off for Budapest. I have heard that its supposed to be a beautiful city and they where right. Parked my bike beside the biggest sand clock(is that the right English word, i dont know) in the world. It a 8 meter diameter and the sand take one year to move from the top side and down. then its turned by manual labor so it can go for another year. Its made to last for ever so we have to see if it will.

Walked over a bridge to a small castle. It was early int he morning but tourists where already pouring in by buss loads, and on a bike.

Anyone know who this is? Not the girl but the statue. Don't know who the girl is either, but it was impossible to get a picture whit out someone sitting on the statue.

This statue was popular to but i manage to snap a picture before the lady rush in to take her picture.

It was a very warm day. must have been at least close to 30 degrees C and i was feeling a little warm in my gear. So i did something not so adventurous. I got on a tour bus and did a 3 hour sightseeing ride on that bus. yeah yeah i know.. but hey i was tired and warm, give me a brake ;)

at 1500 i was back on my bike and heeding east. Had to stop at another rest area to have a 15 min nap on a bench, as i was to tired to go on. But that worked miracles and i entered Romania later that evening.

The city of Oradea

Less pretty then Budapest but somewhere outside i found a small motel. Again it was nothing fancy but at 20 euros you cant really expect much. The lady in the reception gave me the key to a small room on first floor and i started to haul my luggage up. The some guy came and showed me a room at the kitchen entrance to park the bike in. Perfect but it was a tight squeeze to get it in there.

---------

After i parked my bike i went toward my room with the panniers. Then the hotel owner shoved up and yelled at the reception lady. Apparently he was annoyed that i was given a room on first floor as they had bigger rooms behind the hotel on ground floor. He spoke a little german and explained that i should have the bigger room for the same price so i did not need to haul all my stuff up the stairs.
What a nice guy.
The dinner i had at the hotel restaurant was pork and fries. Always exiting to see what you end up with when you don't share any language.

Had a cold shower.. not only because i was hot, but also because there was no hot water. But the bed was great and i sleept like a baby.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #23
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Congratts on the saddle sore
Looking forward to hear about rest of rumania and how it is to drive with your GTR there.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #24
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnjinSan View Post
Hmmm, home now and I have time to catch up with your RR. I hope you found a place to sleep for tonight. We have wifi at home so you will have no excuse not to continue your RR by tomorrow evening. Well... this is unless we will go out and have some drinks. Then... hmmm...

thank you. Much appreciated. I would like to see the Blue mosque. Any suggestion how and where to park. Here in Romainie it looks like you could park anywhere as long as your not in anyones way. What is Istanbull like? .
Old 05-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #25
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Next morning i was up at seven. Feeling fresh and rested i was so ready to go that i skipped breakfast and got back on the bike. Took a little manhandling to get it out of the room it was in an thru the door.

Today i was heading to Suceava in north east Romania to celebrate ester wit him and his family. It was a little more then 400km and except or one stop for fuel i did it in one go. There was so much to se and so nice roads i totally forgot that i had not eaten.

The roads was a mix of beautiful sweeping roads with great scenery to roads that was in very poor condition.
What side of the road would you use?

Here it was hard to find the road between the potholes and the cars -and me- was using any side that looked like it was passable.

This is not even the worst part.

Romania is the land of contrasts. Some are utterly poor, while others are stinking rich. I did not get a picture but to me it was illustrated clearly when someone in a Audi S8 was trying to get past a horse drawn carriage.
At times was feeling bad for riding by some of these folks on a bike that probably cost more then they will make in there entire life. But then again I'm here spending my money so i guess thats a good thing. And hopefully the wealth of western Europe will spread so it also reach the villages in Romania.

I arrived at Anjisans fathers house and they prepared a dinner for us. Different to anything i have had before, but tasty. Here my Beast is parked beside a celebrity.

Next day we where out to do some sightseeing of fortified churches and other sights. Stay tuned.

JohnnyTh screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 03:11 PM
Old 05-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #26
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
What an awesome ride..

I want to see Norway, I doubt I'll ever get to ride it though.

I'd figure by now all the Churches in Norway would be fortified, strange you had to leave Norway for them.

Are Norwegians sensitive to the church burning jokes? Is that not okay?

Figured I'd ask.

As I am/was (always will be kinda deal) a black metal fan. The music is horrid, but the movement behind it was truly inspiring.

Also liked the comment about feeling like a Knights Templar.. My first tattoo was the sigil of baphomet.

I want to retire @ 50 in Norway, I got 25 years to go, we'll see.

Anyway, enough of my B.S. Thanks for sharing!

I'm jealous
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #27
Dickyb
Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTh View Post
Hi
Would love to. How much time is needed from Antalya to your place? My wife leave the 18 may so im heeding that way then. Do you have space for a tent?
Would fit perfectly into my plan

Tom you should have been here!
It is a nice three hour ride along the coast (for the most part) from Antalya to here. Got plenty of room space so you can keep your tent packed. Hope you don't mind dogs and cats, we've got a number of the rescued blighters though if you let me know an ETA closer to the time I'll make sure they have all eaten

I don't know whether you sorted your tyre issue out. Nevertheless, this guy is good Turkey-Tyres All Brands - Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Safe travels,

David

Dickyb screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 11:44 PM
Dickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #28
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post
What an awesome ride..

I'd figure by now all the Churches in Norway would be fortified, strange you had to leave Norway for them.

Figured I'd ask.

As I am/was (always will be kinda deal) a black metal fan. The music is horrid, but the movement behind it was truly inspiring.

Also liked the comment about feeling like a Knights Templar.. My first tattoo was the sigil of baphomet.

I'm jealous
Im not sensitive to it,but remember when it happend. People was taking turns guarding churches all over Norway
Old 05-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #29
JohnnyTh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyb View Post
It is a nice three hour ride along the coast (for the most part) from Antalya to here. Got plenty of room space so you can keep your tent packed. Hope you don't mind dogs and cats, we've got a number of the rescued blighters though if you let me know an ETA closer to the time I'll make sure they have all eaten

I don't know whether you sorted your tyre issue out. Nevertheless, this guy is good Turkey-Tyres All Brands - Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Safe travels,

David
I love dogs and cats, but i handle the warm very badly so most likly i will stink so bad they would not go near me. So not a problem.

i have been following your thread for a while so would be cool to meet you.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #30
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post
What an awesome ride..

Figured I'd ask.

I'm jealous
Ther wher a few church burnings, but it was only a couple of guys that did it. The story is goten way bigger then it realy was.And we Norwegians jokes about it, we are not so big on religion.
If you are a blackmetal fan you should go to Oslo in easter, then its the yearly Inferno festival.
Personaly i am not a blackmetal fan, can stretch it to Dimmu Borgir but i prefer Panter,Gojira etc.

@Johhnth great pics