ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #91
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Excellent event evolving here. Romney Cycles was a great host and took spectacular care of us.

I rode this pig there. My 2002 KLR650 Commuter bike with 33K on the clock.

My little slice of heaven. Upgraded to a 3 man tent to hold me and all my crap plus an REI chair rated for 300 pounds.

I spied this SMIB in his natural environment...

Scott rode his Tiger but did the gravel ride.

Even though he rides the Tiger he is still a KLR guy. Check out his home made stuff sack for his sleeping pad. Yes, that is a leg from his walmart sweat pants.

We roughed it with stocked fire pit, heated showers, portajohns, charging station and coffee bar.

I rode to Rellas for pie on Saturday. Rella is the shorter better looking one.

Bad picture of good pie.

VAC
2007 KLR 650/719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #92
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
Had a great time. Tom and I finally made it home at 1830. We sorta took the senic route. We went to VA Beach via Monterey. It actually got colder the closer we got to home.

They really put on a super event, hats off to Romney and Dirt Dad.

I have some pics that I'll upload tomorrow.
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #93
Dirt_Dad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444

Great event everyone. We had excellent weather, and a good turnout. Because of the different arrival times it's hard to know the exact number, the best guess is we had 28 riders. Whatever it was, it was a good group and made for a fun time around the fire each evening.

Have to say a huge thank you to Romney Cycles. They put in a lot of effort to getting the site ready for us and I think it really paid off. Hot showers, coffee, ice, water, dinner and more. Plus the last minute bike service several people told me about, it was a good example of why so many of us have realized Romney is different from other dealers. It seemed like every time I stopped in over the last few months Keven (the owner) and I would eventually talk about showers for the event. He really put some thought into it. So it was amusing to arrive on Friday and see Kevin. He was so excited to show off his showers. Both he and Larry were very proud of the solution they constructed.
Kevin/Larry: The showers were a huge hit. Very appreciated, thanks for the showers and everything else you did to make this a great weekend for everyone.

To anyone that wants to say anything to the guys at Romney just post it here and I'll make sure they see it. I know they would appreciate hearing any feedback from this event and any suggestions to make the event better next year.

Thanks to thfraser for leading the ride on Saturday, and to Wreckchecker for having a ride ready to go. I do hope your son's plumbing issues workout quickly.

Due an overflowing septic system in Pennsylvania on Friday evening, I ended up leading a pavement ride on Saturday morning. It's the one route I didn't have loaded in my GPS, but fortunately I'm pretty familiar with the roads in that part of West Virginia. Fortunately there so many fantastic options nearby it wasn't too hard assemble a good ride. We set off with the "Fabulous Baker Brothers" and newhoco (stromtrooper) from Toronto.

We hit Rt 72

Mount Storm

Blackwater Falls

And even found the other group during the ride.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the pavement ride. It was the first time I've ever lead a ride that included a scooter (Bergman). I have to say I was impressed with both the scooter and the rider. He did a great job riding it pretty aggressively. At lunch we were joined by Sail2xxs. After lunch the morning group headed north, and Sail2xxs and I set off for some rough dirt road.

We ripped it up pretty good for a while. We took a break by a river and were deep in the woods when a 21 year old Russian girl came walking up to us with a beer in hand. We talked for a while, then she told us she was a terrible driver, loves speed, and is getting her motorcycle license. Then she asked if we had any advice. We did what we could.

No photos of the Sail2xxs ride, but I do have some video of the technical road that I need to go through over the next few days. Chris is a hell of a rider. With almost 3 Tenere miles to every one of my Tenere miles, he puts me to shame. Chris, did you really need to catch me so quickly after I passed that car heading down Mt Storm leaving you stuck behind and out of sight? Actually I love riding with people who are better than me. It keeps me humble and lets me know I've still got a lot of room for improvement. Thanks for kicking my ass, even while following me.

I need to go through the helmet video I shot, and steal some of the photos you guys shot and I'll put together an event video. I'll post it here when I'm done.

Thanks everyone. it was a great weekend.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Dirt_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #94
keeponriding
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Mark B and I got home around 6:30 this evening.

Great riding past Seneca Rocks, past the radio observatory, through the Cranberry back country past Mt Nebo to the Gorge. Great raods, little traffic and high rates of speed.

Our trip would have been perfect if not for trhe 3 solid hours of cold rain from the WV border home.

Great time with everyone!

Anthony
Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #95
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
Had a great time. Tom and I finally made it home at 1830. We sorta took the senic route. We went to VA Beach via Monterey. It actually got colder the closer we got to home.

They really put on a super event, hats off to Romney and Dirt Dad.

I have some pics that I'll upload tomorrow.
Ditto the Great Weekend, we will return.............

A very Big Thanks To Romney Cycles
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #96
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Links to some pics.

http://s196.photobucket.com/user/som.../Romney%202013

Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #97
scott P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 10,344
another fine weekend in WV

Thanks again to Romney Cycles...........got to luv a hot shower!! Anyone else get a free shot with a cold shower curtain blowing in the breeze??

Nice to meet all you FF and in case your looking for more near the same area.........here is the linky for BYOB at Senaca Rocks June 27-30

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845290
Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
The good old days, when cousins weren't considered off-limits.
scott P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #98
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott p View Post
another fine weekend in wv

thanks again to romney cycles...........got to luv a hot shower!! Anyone else get a free shot with a cold shower curtain blowing in the breeze??

nice to meet all you ff and in case your looking for more near the same area.........here is the linky for byob at senaca rocks june 27-30

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845290
yes
Old 05-07-2013, 04:11 AM   #99
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,824
VAC you look to be 1/2 a slice o pie away from a food comma
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACommuter View Post
I rode to Rellas for pie on Saturday. Rella is the shorter better looking one.

Bad picture of good pie.

VAC
Old 05-07-2013, 04:42 AM   #100
newhoco
stromnambulator

Oddometer: 37
Romneytastic

Thanks to Dirt Dad for hooking me up with this excellent adventure , I made it home safely last night , after a couple of extra days riding and camping with Mike from buffalo . Sadly , we became separated in Altoona when coffee-lust drove him over a barrier I could not hurdle .. I tried to circle 'round via the highway emergency round-about , but did not find him . Oh well , another fine relationship comes to a sticky end in Altoona !
Mike , I hope to ride with you again , on your rocket-propelled KLR .

Romney Cycles ( and the whole town ) put on a fantastic weekend for us.
I'm just glad that the Tenere they had on the sales floor did not have luggage - that probably saved my marriage !

In for next year !

Alex
newhoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #101
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer: 2,053
I never made it that direction. Due to time restraints I decided to go chase a tag rather than head west. It looks like everyone had a good time.
5punksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #102
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhoco View Post
Thanks to Dirt Dad for hooking me up with this excellent adventure , I made it home safely last night , after a couple of extra days riding and camping with Mike from buffalo . Sadly , we became separated in Altoona when coffee-lust drove him over a barrier I could not hurdle .. I tried to circle 'round via the highway emergency round-about , but did not find him . Oh well , another fine relationship comes to a sticky end in Altoona !
Mike , I hope to ride with you again , on your rocket-propelled KLR .

Romney Cycles ( and the whole town ) put on a fantastic weekend for us.
I'm just glad that the Tenere they had on the sales floor did not have luggage - that probably saved my marriage !

In for next year !

Alex
I can't stop thinking of that bike either........

The Wee still does what I need it to do though.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #103
scott P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 10,344
Thanks newhoco for Sunday breakfast...........u da man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
The good old days, when cousins weren't considered off-limits.
scott P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #104
malmon
unknown noobody

Oddometer: 206
Looks like everybody had a great time
My loss for not meeting other attendees

Made it to Romney around noon Saturday and met Chris as he was getting ready to leave for lunch to meet one of the groups and asked if I wanted to tag along, I replied no because I thought that was the off road group, a decision of which I will regret. From the short chat we had, I learned some useful info between GS and Tenere. It was nice meeting you and thank you for sharing.

Also Met Larry and as I imagined on the phone days before, a friendly guy which makes you feel at home right away. My apologies for not making it back to your dinner invitation. Got a question though, would the campground be open other times of the year?

Had some fun exploring Romney, meandering all the way to Davis. Met 3 inmates on KLR, VStrom and Tenere (sorry I did not get their names) looking for gas not far from the crossing of 42 and 93 near the windfarm and took some pics (will post here if I can remember how) or a link...

Oscar

http://malmonfz1.imgur.com/
malmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #105
malmon
unknown noobody

Oddometer: 206
not sure if this link works

http://imgur.com/a/9yHGL

or this

http://i.imgur.com/uc6SVTTh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4eCDE9Ah.jpg