Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #106
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycledave1000 View Post
Any news a 990/FI setup?

Isn't the difference between the 950 airbox and a 990's, the addition of an air intake temperature sensor mounting point and a crankcase vent mounting point?
In the works. Give me a few weeks. The mounting is totally different in the way it attaches and the holes aren't quite in the same place. Have a beta getting installed next week.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #107
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
I'm generally in the neighborhood of 1,000 feet around home.

How 'bout you?
I think we are at 1500 ish around here, so I guess your settings would probably work pretty well for my area as well... What ya guys think?
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #108
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 235
Any reason why I couldn't carefully drill a hole in the base mounting plate and find a way to get the CCV into that?

I've also got a vent hose or something in the back of the stock air box...that's probably for the SAS?
avocadofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #109
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Getting things bolted back together...an oil change tomorrow while the tanks are off is about all that separates me from starting her up.

For those interested, I read that it is ok to directly connect the crank case vent line and the SAS line. Whod'a thunk it, but there is a thread about it in the OC. I'll prolly do that instead of messing with drilling a hole in my nice aluminum base plate.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #110
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,262
pulled the bike apart this morning. Found all stock jetting so I ordered a set of 175 adn 170 mains (they didn't have 172) and 45 pilots.

Found a nice mouse nest in the airbox that i've been riding around with for 3 weeks
Need to get breathers yet I spose. This all would have made a fine winter project
Old 05-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #111
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Well i have logged about 100 miles on setup below and the bike rips like crazy. You can hear the monster breathing now for sure. I have a slight surge around 58 to 68 MPH and that i can correct by using a little choke. I have played with the FlexJet IMS screws from starting point of 2 turns to 1.5 and 2.75 turns with no impact on the surging as i expected.

I am going to raise the needles one slot and see what that does for the surging and or leave the needles alone and go up one size on the mains.

Just to add, carbs are sync'ed so that is not the surge cause. As well low RPM and Mid RPM FULL throttle roll-on are spot on with not stumble or soggy feeling. I am pretty much spot on with pilot and maybe even the mains.

More to report as i make next adjustment. Then when close i am going to dyno her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
Got'er installed on my 06 950 SM. Was actually easy to do. I took my time and didn't disconnect anything from the carbs. Just pulled all the lines up through the bottom of the air box and pulled air box out with all the carb stuff still connected.

Starting off with the following setup for SM Sport Riding and tuning from there.

FMF cans
Part Factory Pro kit and Part H2W kit for my jetting
Main Jets 170R / 168F
Pilot Jet #45
Needles Factory Pro Ti needle 4 position from top
IMS screws 2 turns (Flex-Jet installed for easy adjustment)
Air Jet #70 as supplied by H2W to replace stock #50
Float Height 3.5MM
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #112
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Managed a short ride with mine too...this air filter totally transformed the bike. WOT in second mandates that the rider lean forward to keep the front end down. I'm a happy camper.

175/175 mains with stock exhaust.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #113
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,708
Any milliage results anybody?

How about you milliage?
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:17 AM   #114
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadofarmer View Post
Getting things bolted back together...an oil change tomorrow while the tanks are off is about all that separates me from starting her up.

For those interested, I read that it is ok to directly connect the crank case vent line and the SAS line. Whod'a thunk it, but there is a thread about it in the OC. I'll prolly do that instead of messing with drilling a hole in my nice aluminum base plate.
Sounds like you got her sorted. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
pulled the bike apart this morning. Found all stock jetting so I ordered a set of 175 adn 170 mains (they didn't have 172) and 45 pilots.

Found a nice mouse nest in the airbox that i've been riding around with for 3 weeks
Need to get breathers yet I spose. This all would have made a fine winter project
Hmmm... I may edit the first post to include that this filter plate is guaranteed rodent proof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
Well i have logged about 100 miles on setup below and the bike rips like crazy. You can hear the monster breathing now for sure. I have a slight surge around 58 to 68 MPH and that i can correct by using a little choke. I have played with the FlexJet IMS screws from starting point of 2 turns to 1.5 and 2.75 turns with no impact on the surging as i expected.

I am going to raise the needles one slot and see what that does for the surging and or leave the needles alone and go up one size on the mains.

Just to add, carbs are sync'ed so that is not the surge cause. As well low RPM and Mid RPM FULL throttle roll-on are spot on with not stumble or soggy feeling. I am pretty much spot on with pilot and maybe even the mains.

More to report as i make next adjustment. Then when close i am going to dyno her.
It makes sense to raise the needle if you're lean at the transition to it, around 4000 rpm. It will however, enrichen everything above until you get to wide open. If its already good above 4000 you may also fill in the soft spot by cutting down on some of the air through the low circuit with a smaller air jet.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.. Sounds like you're getting close.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:25 AM   #115
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
How about you milliage?

While these guys were tinkering this weekend, I was out riding and crashed my 950. High sided. Bent the subframe, cracked the right tank, bent my bars, knocked out all my clocks, etc... Still kept riding it though.

I can tell ya, I got 125 US miles (201km) to my left tank running 92 octane 10% ethanol fuel before it ran empty..
Old 05-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #116
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post

Hmmm... I may edit the first post to include that this filter plate is guaranteed rodent proof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
While these guys were tinkering this weekend, I was out riding and crashed my 950. High sided. Bent the subframe, cracked the right tank, bent my bars, knocked out all my clocks, etc... Still kept riding it though.

I can tell ya, I got 125 US miles (201km) to my left tank running 92 octane 10% ethanol fuel before it ran empty..
ouch. you must be relatively alright if you're still riding and typing. get er fixed up!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #117
JTS1
Dirt Enthusiast

Oddometer: 66
Can i use my K&N filter oil on my itg foam filter?
JTS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #118
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS1 View Post
I've used UNI and ITG oil. Frankly I have no idea how K&N oil would do. I'd assume its a bit thinner though would still work.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #119
Sporting Wood OP
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post

ouch. you must be relatively alright if you're still riding and typing. get er fixed up!
Fractured thumb and it hurts when I laugh, but mostly OK. Getting parts to fix her back up.. Thanks
Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #120
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS1 View Post
Instructions said to not use Gauze type filter oil, which is exactly what K&N oil is. That being said i realized that and just used my no-toil liquid oil and worked it into the foam with some rubber gloves.

To be honest i don't see where the K&N oil would hurt as we use it on our CRF foam filter, but hey i am not filter expert. Use at your own risk!
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote