User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #4336
SergeantChuck
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hey, New to the forum.

I just bought my NC700X Saturday. Put about 100 miles on her so far. I was pretty nervous when I made the purchase. I have rode nothing but CBR900RR and up for the last 20 years. I just moved to the Little Rock area and I was doing a lot of rush hour traffic driving in a lifted jeep with huge tires. That equals terrible gas mileage.

I wanted a bike that could be a good commuter and get good gas mileage. After a bit of quick research it was narrowed down to three bikes. The NC700X and two others that always seem to be compared to this bike. I read several reviews and most people had nothing but good to say. A few complaints about the fuel spout being under the rear seat and lack of power. I was buying the bike with saddles bags and a trunk so I did not care about the fueling issue and I was going to deal with the lack of power regardless. I am so used to lots of power I decided to not test drive the bike. Call me crazy but I was committed to the sale based off the reviews I had read and the fuel economy.

I rode the bike all around the Little Rock area this weekend and I have to say I am not disappointed. She is not a powerhouse but she has enough to get through traffic. She handles well and is great on fuel.
The thread has a ton of pages so I was wondering if there are any specific pages that have good to know information for a rider new to this bike. I read some of the talk on upgrading the screen. Mine came with the larger screen and it seemed to work fine at 70-75 buzzing around Little Rock. I don't like how small the grips are. I may try to find an ISO grip. Any suggestions?
SergeantChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #4337
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantChuck View Post
Hey, New to the forum.

I just bought my NC700X Saturday. Put about 100 miles on her so far. I was pretty nervous when I made the purchase. I have rode nothing but CBR900RR and up for the last 20 years. I just moved to the Little Rock area and I was doing a lot of rush hour traffic driving in a lifted jeep with huge tires. That equals terrible gas mileage.

I wanted a bike that could be a good commuter and get good gas mileage. After a bit of quick research it was narrowed down to three bikes. The NC700X and two others that always seem to be compared to this bike. I read several reviews and most people had nothing but good to say. A few complaints about the fuel spout being under the rear seat and lack of power. I was buying the bike with saddles bags and a trunk so I did not care about the fueling issue and I was going to deal with the lack of power regardless. I am so used to lots of power I decided to not test drive the bike. Call me crazy but I was committed to the sale based off the reviews I had read and the fuel economy.

I rode the bike all around the Little Rock area this weekend and I have to say I am not disappointed. She is not a powerhouse but she has enough to get through traffic. She handles well and is great on fuel.
The thread has a ton of pages so I was wondering if there are any specific pages that have good to know information for a rider new to this bike. I read some of the talk on upgrading the screen. Mine came with the larger screen and it seemed to work fine at 70-75 buzzing around Little Rock. I don't like how small the grips are. I may try to find an ISO grip. Any suggestions?
Don't know about specific pages in this thread, but the NC700 forum is the place to go for all the information you seek. Many of the guys on this thread are there as well. Welcome to the NC family!
Erik

Link
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:28 AM   #4338
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
Could someone post a picture of the seat after they did the shim modification, so we can see how high the seat nose sits above the tank. You would have thought Honda would have made the seat level with the ground.
On most bikes it isn't.
They don't know how heavy the rider is going to be, but if you're lucky,
the rear preload that suits you might make it level. Sometimes it's good
to have a slight lean forward.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:41 AM   #4339
Doctor Zed
Resident

Oddometer: 1,220
Any body ever run out of gas yet?
I seem to be right around 180 miles when I hit the final flashing re bar on the gas meter.
Then after riding for another 20 or so miles I fill up and only put ion 2.7 or 2.8 gallons.
Isn't it a 3.7 gallon tank? So I should be able to squeeze out another 65/70 miles before running out.

Well I filled up my MSR bottle this morning and threw it in the storage compartment, so I guess I'll find out how far we can go on a full tank?
Doctor Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #4340
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Zed View Post
I seem to be right around 180 miles when I hit the final flashing re bar on the gas meter.
Then after riding for another 20 or so miles I fill up and only put ion 2.7 or 2.8 gallons.
Isn't it a 3.7 gallon tank? So I should be able to squeeze out another 65/70 miles before running out.

Well I filled up my MSR bottle this morning and threw it in the storage compartment, so I guess I'll find out how far we can go on a full tank?
I tried this a few weekends ago on a spirited back road ride. Last bar came on at 182 miles. I rode 57 miles on the flashing bar and coasted dry to a stop at 239 miles. I poured in 1 liter of fuel from a MSR bottle and rode about 7 miles to a gas station and took 3.5 gallons if I remember correctly.

Most of the time after the last bar starts flashing I fill up in 20 or 30 miles and take about 3 gallons. Reserve is .7 to 1.0 gallons so theoretically 45 to 65 miles on last bar.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #4341
watrboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:

You go - we are all waiting for the final tally and if the MSR will get you started and back.
watrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #4342
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
I've put in 3.7 gallons before, so I was very close to adding gas from my MSR bottle.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #4343
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,257
These bikes are fual injected, no?
You do not want to run low or out of gas, as the fuel cools and lubes the fuel pump.
You shorten the life of the pump a lot running it low/out of gas.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #4344
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
These bikes are fual injected, no?
You do not want to run low or out of gas, as the fuel cools and lubes the fuel pump.
You shorten the life of the pump a lot running it low/out of gas.
I don't doubt this adage and abide by it but I do wonder whether it is valid. Honda has plenty of recommendations and warnings but there is nothing in the owners manuals, service manuals, or Honda common service manual that mentions this.

Still, you NC700 riders can profit from my experience. In 13,000 miles I did it this once to see if the stated fuel capacity is all usable. I often ride long distances and it was important to me to know this info.

To some one else's question the bike ran completely dry then started as usual with a liter of gas from a MSR bottle poured into the tank.

Dave
Old 05-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #4345
Doctor Zed
Resident

Oddometer: 1,220
So what was the mileage when you ran dry
Doctor Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #4346
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Quote:
So what was the mileage when you ran dry
Read all about it - post 4340.

Dave
Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #4347
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,399
MadStad SportSD - Med. Gray

Installed a MadStad SportSD Windscreen ....
...... looks and works great ...

- - - - - -

- - - - -

- - - - -

GsVs screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 03:09 AM
GsVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #4348
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
Could someone post a picture of the seat after they did the shim modification, so we can see how high the seat nose sits above the tank. You would have thought Honda would have made the seat level with the ground.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/1574-seat-mod-slope-change.html
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #4349
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsVs View Post
Installed a MadStad SportSD Windscreen ....
...... looks and works great ...

- - - - - -

- - - - -

- - - - -

Well.....the looks part is subjective
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:10 AM   #4350
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,399
oops .... fixed

Quote: