ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #511
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
Thats cool! we wore the north end out.
Yeah we did.... and this doesn't even have Saturday afternoon's ride on it!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #512
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444
Wow!

I was a Zombie all day today, worried Magic Mike and Wal. Spikes would be hunting me down.

We really dodged a bullet with the weather, and after seeing the reports, I understand why there were so many that decided to wait it out at home. After a quick ride Friday with the big bike on mostly dry roads, I knew it would be parked if it rained. Thanks to 2fast and his trailer, I had the DRZ to fall back on.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!, to everyone who paid in advance for a site, but was not able to make it. We did cover all the cost of all of the sites. I wish I was able to do a refund if you could not make it, but the Powerball did not hit. If it does, you'll hear from me.

I think it's obvious this could be a big thing, and the MidTn @ LBL title would be more accurately named ADV @ LBL. We hit a few roads twice, but never got to the south end. That gives you an idea of how massive the place actually is, and a 3 day weekend there exploring will keep you busy. We avoided many great roads, because the weather made them impassable. Which brings up a great point, Many thanks to KentuckyKLR for the ride to the remote church. I have been exploring LBL's number roads for almost 10 years, and that was the first time there. Having so many different riders there familiar with LBL is huge. Thanks again. Chris.

Honestly, planning this, we really didn't know what to expect. I was not worried about the "People" aspects of this non-event, Motorcycle riders are the best group of people in the world. I was concerned about not meeting the expectations of the riders attending. Questions like, are the facilities acceptable? are the roads appropriate? will the weather cooperate? My worries disappeared as the weekend progressed. Real riders adapt. We will squeeze the best out of whatever the situation is.

On behalf of Sandalscout and 2fast4u, a sincere THANK YOU everyone that had anything to do with this weekend, including those not able to make it. A special thank you to Barry Reed (StreetandDirt). Even though he sold his DS bike just before the event, he was in it from the start, talking it up, starting a Facebook page, promoting it by word of mouth. I hate to hear anyone has to make decisions that include selling a motorcycle, but I fully understand the need to make the right decisions. Thanks again, Barry.

So now, what do we want to see next year!

Thanks, everyone!
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #513
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,892
Hey, I committed to a campsite. Do I owe anyone any $$ for such silliness?

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #514
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
Hey, I committed to a campsite. Do I owe anyone any $$ for such silliness?
No worries, Justin stepped in.

....but start planning now for next time, if the weather cooperates, the Big Bikes will rule!
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #515
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,754
I think we should have a "Bike with the highest mileage" award next year.

I had a great time despite my impressive get-offs. I'm told the second one sent me flying about 15 feet. I don't hurt much at all thanks to good gear and especially an already pathetic short-term memory.

This camping trip was the first I've done on the DRZ and it did WAY better than I expected. It did experience some oil use so it looks like I'm gonna have to get into the engine and freshen things up. The Shinko 244's were great. They didn't hook up as well as a knobbie, but they broke predictably and didn't slow me down at all.

SandalScout has gotten fast. I don't know what his secret is, but I think it's the shoes. hehe. 2fast4u on a lowered KLR250 with a stuck carb float is still faster than greased lightning. And Kentucky KLR can ride the snot out of his bike. Plus his accessory headlights also redirect barge traffic when he goes over the Eggners Ferry bridge! Thankfully, mechanical problems were kept to a minimum and none happened while out on the roads.

I'm really looking forward to getting back out to LBL for some camping this year. I've got the basics of my kit figured out and now I'm gonna see what creature comforts I can bring next time. I think I can get a fishing pole stashed away. Just gotta figure out how I'm gonna hook the boat up to the DRZ. I did say the engine is gonna get refreshed!
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #516
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Here is part two. if you listen close you can hear Lisa shout good natured profanity as she clears the first water crossing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtlRt...=youtube_gdata
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #517
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
SandalScout has gotten fast. I don't know what his secret is, but I think it's the shoes. hehe. 2fast4u on a lowered KLR250 with a stuck carb float is still faster than greased lightning. And Kentucky KLR can ride the snot out of his bike.
Matt, couldn't have said it any better.... you were flying this weekend too... I didn't know you had a second off, where'd that happen?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #518
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
Here is part two. if you listen close you can hear Lisa shout good natured profanity as she clears the first water crossing.

Thanks for posting these, they are great!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #519
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Matt, couldn't have said it any better.... you were flying this weekend too... I didn't know you had a second off, where'd that happen?
It happened on the road with the solar panels about ten minutes before heading home Sunday. My bike ran well this weekend. I think the engine is about to let go. Racers always say the best motors are the ones that are just about to grenade. I'm exploring options for a rebuild today.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #520
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
It happened on the road with the solar panels about ten minutes before heading home Sunday. My bike ran well this weekend. I think the engine is about to let go. Racers always say the best motors are the ones that are just about to grenade. I'm exploring options for a rebuild today.
That was one of my favorite roads of the trip. I just barely avoided taking a swim in a foot deep puddle there. Wish one of the guys had caught some video of it. Hope to ride that one again soon.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #521
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
That was one of my favorite roads of the trip. I just barely avoided taking a swim in a foot deep puddle there. Wish one of the guys had caught some video of it. Hope to ride that one again soon.
Did you get a shot of me and my bike taking a nap on side of the road?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #522
bwbeck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:

Great Vid!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #523
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
Did you get a shot of me and my bike taking a nap on side of the road?
I haven't seen all of the footage yet myself. Over four hours of it. My 32 GB memory card filled up 1/4 to 1/2 of the way through sundays ride. The trail by the solar panels was long after my Gopro shut off.

bwbeck- "Great Vid! "

Thanx. If you guys go riding June 1st. I might go too & get some video with my wind screen removed. I'll get better shots of you & anyone who rides with us.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #524
Kev95GS
goob

Oddometer: 702
a little shaky with the camera on the windscreen but a little bit of what I got.

This was 2fast4u's Wide Glide Ln.

Good times!

Old 05-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #525
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev95GS View Post
a little shaky with the camera on the windscreen but a little bit of what I got.

This was 2fast4u's Wide Glide Ln.

Good times!

Very nice. A bit shaky but not bad really. I wish I had been able to locate my gopro so I could have shot some.
KJD19892 is online now   Reply With Quote