Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #61
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,594
Back for another exciting season of baseball. It appears the rest of the kids might have practiced a bit since last year, and seeing how my kid didn't, let's just say this year looks really unfun.
I watched an inning and a half, told the wife no point in both of us being bored to tears, and I just so happened to ride my bike up........

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #62
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Back for another exciting season of baseball. It appears the rest of the kids might have practiced a bit since last year, and seeing how my kid didn't, let's just say this year looks really unfun.
I watched an inning and a half, told the wife no point in both of us being bored to tears, and I just so happened to ride my bike up........
Get the boy a crosse and don't look back. You will have a blast.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #63
Green Stainz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,998
good stories...love it

I remember back when I was a teenager I played soccer year round -outdoor and then indoor. But in my spare time I was a ref for little league soccer. Yes parents are insane! my first game I gave a red card to a little punk who couldnt stop using the "F" word towards me. After the game the mother demanded to know why I ejected her son from the game. I told her bluntly that her dear little Johnny needs better manners. She had the "deer in the headlights" look to her. I lasted only a season as ref because I got tired of the abuse from the kids and especially the parents disgusting behavior.

Fast forward to the present and now I watch my 12 year old play lacrosse -what a fun sport to watch. My 7 yr old is getting into as well. And they both play soccer too. I try not to be too competive with them as they do enjoy lacrosse a lot but I try not to be the overbearing parent and let them have fun. and definitely not being a douche bag parent yelling at refs and coaches..
Green Stainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #64
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,789
We have gone to ejecting unruly parents and coaches this year. It was getting too hard to keep junior ref's, and you need those to get senior ref's who can keep up with the boys/gals as they get older. You can imagine how mad a friend of mine was when he got the boot. He deserved it, and got mad again when I told him so, and has not talked to me since. I think he may be a former friend now? We will see next Saturday if I have earned any forgiveness or not.

Hey, I get they make mistakes and they are tentative at times on calls, they are teenagers. Not one of them has a coaches voice yet. It is an instructional period at this point. There is really no need to assume that your U11 player is going to lose a D1 scholarship because of a bad call or no call and missed out on a statistic. There is plenty of time before the scouts will be showing up.

I always invite the loud parents helping the ref's for my teams to attend the officiating clinic and get certified. "You appear to know all the rules already; it should be easy for you to get certified and we always need more officials." They are usually quite a bit more subdued after that. I do volunteer them without reserve, so they may be afraid I am serious. I am hoping they just get the hint.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #65
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
I've coached baseball for 13 years and have enjoyed my time on the field a lot. Our association has been around for 60 years and has produced one big leaguer : Larry Walker. Despite that we still have the deluded parents convinced that Johnny is going to the show and Coach Rob is holding them back.

I try not to let them bother me and frankly when I'm in the dugout or coach's box I don't hear them My goal is to grow boys to young men, teach them teamwork and show them how hard work produces results.

That being said there are a lot of idiots coaching who shoudn't be only because others don't step up. I use 80 hours of annual leave a season and frequently go from night shifts to games/practicies with no sleep. I do it because I enjoy the time with my son and hope to have an impact on the other boys on the team.

Get involved, help out and be a positive influence on youth athletics.

Buzz363 screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 07:16 PM
Buzz363 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #66
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,594
Ah, another fun one. My kids team played the best team in the league tonight. The game was well in hand, they were beating us by 11 runs going in to the last inning. We tried to get them to call it because of time, but the other coach was all about the rules and this year there is no time limit.
So, they go down 1,2,3 in the top of the inning. They had already used up their three good pitchers, and the kid they put in to finish up just didn't have it. He walked three kids, a couple got hits, he walked a few more, and next thing you know, the lead is down to six, the bases are loaded, and there's no outs. The other coach then decides it's now too dark, he's worried for his kids safety, and he's calling the game. Our coach said fine, we'll pick it up from there tomorrow. Then the other coach pulls out the rule book that after four full innings, if the game ends, it's a final, no continuing later.
I'm betting this will be my boys last year of baseball. He's already said it's getting to be not fun any more with everyone so worried about winning.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #67
erinbomber
in awe

Oddometer: 887
A good experience...

I posted in this thread earlier about the drama with my daughter playing club level soccer. This last year she also started competing in cross country running and I have to say, the cross country competitors and parents behave A LOT better than the soccer or little league baseball (my son) parents and players.

My daughters first race she came in second, lost it in the last 200 yards to a girl with a better kick. The girl waited for her at the finish line to shake her hand and compliment her on being good competition. All of her races since have been just one big love fest. She's friends now with that girl even though the two of them battle back and forth for titles between their schools. Parents cheering for everyone and especially for the ones bringing up the rear, for toughing it out and continuing to push themselves.

After 6 years of soccer with her, it's really refreshing to see.
erinbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #68
Beelzabob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,114
My son's little league baseball career is coming to an end here in the next week or so with only "All stars" remaining. However, because our league can't field 2 teams at the 11 yo age bracket, the league president has decided not to field a team at all. For many kids, this will be the end of their little league baseball career. Some really good players too. Players that have earned the right to be an all star one last time. Yet, the prez believes w/o 2 teams, it doesn't represent the community properly because the other age brackets all have 2 teams. It's total BS! Especially for the kids.

"Most of the trip was like being thrown into a barrel of titties only to come out sucking your thumb!" - Oisin

Beelzabob screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 11:57 AM
Beelzabob is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: