ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
rossguzzi OP
990 Adv.
 
rossguzzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Bottom left hand side of OZ
Oddometer: 786
990 SAS removal.

Is it the same as the 950 removal ? Looking at the how to archives, it only outlines the 950 proceedure.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem
 
Head2Wind's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NorthWet Washington
Oddometer: 2,495
Physically the 950 and 990 very similar as far as the blanking plates and intake manifold interfaces. The differences are how the air injection and captive evap systems are turned on/off. The 950 uses vacuum actuated valves controlled by intake manifold signal, where the 990 uses electro actuated valves controlled by the ECM. The 950 ECM doesn't pay attention to the vacuum systems, so disconnecting and eliminating it doesn't throw any system errors. The 990 SAS and evap system valves are controlled by the ECM and the ECM will throw error codes if the valves are removed..... So there are two options for modifying the SAS and evap systems..

1. leave the valves attached to the wire harness but remove the hoses and blank the heads and manifolds with the standard SAS blank plates and 6mm bolts.
2. Do the first option blanking/plugging but also cut the 2 SAS and Evap wire harnesses just short of the plug and solder in 2.2k ohm resistors between the two wires. This fakes the ECM into thinking that the electro valve is still present in the system and therefore does not know that it really is just a resistor.
__________________
“The mind is sharper and keener in seclusion and uninterrupted solitude. --- Be alone, that is the secret of invention; be alone, that is when ideas are born.” - Nikola Tesla
2006 KTM 970 frankinADVsmSD
ADVmachines™ Proven Solutions for your Worldwide Adventures...www.ADVmachines.com

Head2Wind screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 10:32 PM
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
rossguzzi OP
990 Adv.
 
rossguzzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Bottom left hand side of OZ
Oddometer: 786
That makes sence. I am thinking (to help the on off throttle) to do this and the TuneECU map thing.
Thanks !
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer
 
Apple Jam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Hood mud flow
Oddometer: 6,178
So....since this SAS subject is up on the table...

I did my SAS removal at the same time I replaced some rather dirty fuel filters. I have noticed significant change for the worse in the famed jerky throttle at low revs. Especially annoying coming off 2-3k off-road.

I've ridden this bike through 50k miles and 2 other filter set changes, and I never remember it being this bad. But I never off-roaded so much as the last two years, so it could be my imagination, but......

Just a thought......I blamed the fresh fuel filters originally,...could this air injection be smoothing out throttle at low rpm? I mean, it's purpose is to heat the cats at idle/warmup....was this, just maybe, causing more backpressure and lowering power output at very low rpm?

Edit: 07 -990FI
Also, kinda curious.....What opens the reed valves on the heads, vacuum from exhaust, or pressure from the SAS pump?
__________________
..
"got no problem with keeping truly roadless areas as wild....
On the other hand, if it has been logged or mined and roads already exist,,
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)

Apple Jam screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 12:04 AM
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
rossguzzi OP
990 Adv.
 
rossguzzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Bottom left hand side of OZ
Oddometer: 786
I am not sure. Others hopefully may chime in. But I am also concidering removing the additional butterflys. Good idea ?
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer
 
Apple Jam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Hood mud flow
Oddometer: 6,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
I am not sure. Others hopefully may chime in. But I am also concidering removing the additional butterflys. Good idea ?
I thought I had a better one than what everyone was complaining about, or maybe they were wussies

Now I'm looking at other options like secondary butterfly removal, oval replacements, Tune ECU.....or jmaybe ust putting the dirty fuel filters or the SAS back in
Don't really need all 100 ponies where I ride most these days. 80+ is juuust fiiiine with a smoother throttle

Sure glad she's no thumper when I wanna hammer it, tho...
__________________
..
"got no problem with keeping truly roadless areas as wild....
On the other hand, if it has been logged or mined and roads already exist,,
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem
 
Head2Wind's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NorthWet Washington
Oddometer: 2,495
The SAS is a passive (no forced pumping) system as far as the injection of air into the exhaust system, so it requires a pressure depression in the exhaust port to allow air to flow past the reed/check valve and into the port. When valve is activated and air is flowing into the port, this will make the exhaust appear more "lean" to the O2 sensors and the ECU "should" react with more fuel, which with these engines tends to mellow them out on the twitchness meter. These engines also tend to respond well to pulling back the timing a little at small/low TPS openings, which indirectly effects the AFRs that the O2 sensor sees (goes richer when less advance).......

You can read the many threads about tuning and using the TuneECU app, eliminating the 2nd throttle plates or modifying their action in the ECM. There are many opinions on how this affects the ridability of the bike and whether its good/bad. Generally people will maintain the secondary plates to soften the hit.
__________________
“The mind is sharper and keener in seclusion and uninterrupted solitude. --- Be alone, that is the secret of invention; be alone, that is when ideas are born.” - Nikola Tesla
2006 KTM 970 frankinADVsmSD
ADVmachines™ Proven Solutions for your Worldwide Adventures...www.ADVmachines.com
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,493
On my 990 SMR I removed the second flies and it got notchier, put them back in and with Tune ECU disabled the O2's which made a huge difference to the rideability at low RPMs.

Was going to do the full tune ECU thing but ended up running out of time before our trip.

SAS etc I blanked off and I fitted the resistor per Head2wind which worked perfectly.
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer
 
Apple Jam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Hood mud flow
Oddometer: 6,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
...could this (SAS) air injection be smoothing out throttle at low rpm?
I mean, it's purpose is to heat the cats at idle/warmup....
...was this, just maybe, causing more backpressure and lowering power output at very low rpm?

Edit: 07 -990FI
Also, kinda curious.....What opens the reed valves on the heads, vacuum from exhaust, or pressure from the SAS pump?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
The SAS is a passive (no forced pumping) system as far as the injection of air into the exhaust system, so it requires a pressure depression in the exhaust port to allow air to flow past the reed/check valve and into the port. When valve is activated and air is flowing into the port, this will make the exhaust appear more "lean" to the O2 sensors and the ECU "should" react with more fuel, which with these engines tends to mellow them out on the twitchness meter. These engines also tend to respond well to pulling back the timing a little at small/low TPS openings, which indirectly effects the AFRs that the O2 sensor sees (goes richer when less advance).......

You can read the many threads about tuning and using the TuneECU app, eliminating the 2nd throttle plates or modifying their action in the ECM. There are many opinions on how this affects the ridability of the bike and whether its good/bad. Generally people will maintain the secondary plates to soften the hit.
So my theory may have been *kind of-ish* correct !!
SAS might just go back in,,,hmmmm.
As I understand it, the only disadvantage is a mess of hoses and some decel popping that I had only very slightly with the Akros.

AWESOME technical response, H2W !!
__________________
..
"got no problem with keeping truly roadless areas as wild....
On the other hand, if it has been logged or mined and roads already exist,,
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #10
rossguzzi OP
990 Adv.
 
rossguzzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Bottom left hand side of OZ
Oddometer: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
Physically the 950 and 990 very similar as far as the blanking plates and intake manifold interfaces. The differences are how the air injection and captive evap systems are turned on/off. The 950 uses vacuum actuated valves controlled by intake manifold signal, where the 990 uses electro actuated valves controlled by the ECM. The 950 ECM doesn't pay attention to the vacuum systems, so disconnecting and eliminating it doesn't throw any system errors. The 990 SAS and evap system valves are controlled by the ECM and the ECM will throw error codes if the valves are removed..... So there are two options for modifying the SAS and evap systems..

1. leave the valves attached to the wire harness but remove the hoses and blank the heads and manifolds with the standard SAS blank plates and 6mm bolts.
2. Do the first option blanking/plugging but also cut the 2 SAS and Evap wire harnesses just short of the plug and solder in 2.2k ohm resistors between the two wires. This fakes the ECM into thinking that the electro valve is still present in the system and therefore does not know that it really is just a resistor.
When you say 'valves' can you tell me where they are? I fell a little dumb when operating on an unfamiliar bike. I`m sure that wont last long.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:46 AM   #11
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hipster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Mpls, Mn.
Oddometer: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
SAS might just go back in,,,hmmmm.
Has anyone else had negative affects from removing the SAS on their 990?
__________________
2008 KTM 990 Adv & 2007 KTM 640 Adv

Hipster screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 06:22 AM
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem
 
Head2Wind's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NorthWet Washington
Oddometer: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
When you say 'valves' can you tell me where they are? I fell a little dumb when operating on an unfamiliar bike. I`m sure that wont last long.
there is one just forward of the airbox, it controls the evap systems. there is one just aft of the airbox (attaches to the back on tabs) that controls the SAS systems.
__________________
“The mind is sharper and keener in seclusion and uninterrupted solitude. --- Be alone, that is the secret of invention; be alone, that is when ideas are born.” - Nikola Tesla
2006 KTM 970 frankinADVsmSD
ADVmachines™ Proven Solutions for your Worldwide Adventures...www.ADVmachines.com
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Reno
Oddometer: 1,157
SAS Off???

I am coming off a 950 where I removed the SAS with no ill effects. I just acquired an '07 Adventure with 30k miles. With no service records or PO info, I am hurrying to ready it for an Alaska trip in July. I am planning a quick tank off/once over, checking/adjusting valves, new plugs, fuel filters and pump. I had planned on doing the SAS removal while I am in there.

For the short run, the emphasis will be on street riding. So far, I have been OK with the throttle response--might change when I get back and have time for more dirt.

I am also looking seriously at the 2 into 1 exhaust setup and foam filter/air box removal.

I am handy enough with the mechanical stuff and working through the inevitable issues you run into when making modifications.

But I am really wondering how far I should go with the mods keeping in mind I need to make them, sort them out and have the bike reliable by mid June.

Any advice??? Thanks in advance!
__________________
KTMs--300, 518, 990
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #14
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem
 
Head2Wind's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NorthWet Washington
Oddometer: 2,495
removal of the SAS and evap is not going to directly cause any significant system failures and should some thing related to these modifications fail, the engine will still run, just will have EFI fault codes. I would say that it is worth the effort and risk to make these changes.

Adding in the removal/replacement of the OEM airbox with a foam filter assembly is adding risk, but not significant, provided the work can be performed well prior to the planned trip to perform some testing.

Personally.... for right or wrong.. and it has bit me sometimes.... I am working on my bike up to the night prior to leaving on a trip.
__________________
“The mind is sharper and keener in seclusion and uninterrupted solitude. --- Be alone, that is the secret of invention; be alone, that is when ideas are born.” - Nikola Tesla
2006 KTM 970 frankinADVsmSD
ADVmachines™ Proven Solutions for your Worldwide Adventures...www.ADVmachines.com
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Reno
Oddometer: 1,157
Thanks. I am getting mixed reads on the ECU re tune. If I do the filter and SAS removal, will I need a remap? I am thinking that's what I will do....
__________________
KTMs--300, 518, 990
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014