ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Tell us what you'd like...
Öhlins TTx22 front fork kit 5 2.46%
Öhlins TTx44 Mk-II rear shock 11 5.42%
Both of the above 58 28.57%
I'll stick with my WP stuff and spend the money on beer 129 63.55%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #16
Zombie025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I voted for the beer option as i estimate it will save me up to 3 beers every day for the next 4 years
But nevertheless, it sounds interesting. But if i consider my small research for factory suspensions on my husaberg and 250exc and the prices it was called for, i guess also an oehlins setup will cost as much as half the price of the new bike, or?
On the other side spending this amount will save my liver from digesting 4,000ltr of beer and you can never farkle the beast enough (no need to put the fancy oehlin stickers on)
So are there already any benefits in view, e.g. weight saving, longer travel or sth else?
Zombie025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #17
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,109
The standard rear shock on the SE is shocking... Wish the adventure S one fitted. I'm sure the price of the Ohlins will wind you on the spot....

Ive talked to a shock manufacturer who services suspension, he rates Ohlins.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #18
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,974
I heard

Those shocks on the #1 and #2 rallye bikes are'nt for sale. You have to hire them or have them hired for you. $15000 for 2 weeks, but hang on you do get a WP tech guru. The stantions are full alloy ,50mm diameter legs.

I love what your doing Powercell and would love an SE with suspension that's faster reacting than its donk. i rekon what your talkin about is out of reach for most but a handfull. I have seen Ohlins for sale on the net for the 990 adv the forks were around 1300 but.....there not what your on about, so people would want to buy yours for performance only. Its speccy stuff..... gold for 2 wheel freaks.
But if your gonna spend anything on a bike.... suspension is the best money you can spend, i 've learnt that the long way round.
3000 for the package or more?
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #19
PowerCell OP
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmoochr View Post
Not all Ohlins stuff is made equal...
What do you mean by this?

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #20
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Hey Powercell, I understand you may have some experience with WP and Ohlins. However, there are those of us who do as well. I am one of them. I have seen your posts on this forum. You are not THE ONLY person with first hand experience on ADVRider. You have made very condescending pompous statements in this thread so far. Your original post in this thread is very opinionated that Ohlins suspensions are superior. It is just that: your opinion. Nothing more nothing less. I have ridden both suspensions and both both make a fine product for both the entry level and pro level. To say one is undoubtedly better than the other is ridiculous. When you post a poll, making statements like you have, you'd better expect opinions back. You're going to have to learn how to take it if you're going to dish it out. It seems as though when people contradict your opinion at all you flame them pretty hard.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #21
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
Well... let's start with your pix above. What do any of these all aluminum cone valve forks have in common with the WP product that comes on a stock KTM? Not a damn thing short of their costing as much as a complete bike. The 4CS is a design entirely of compromise so WP can stop paying royalties to Öhlins for valve and reservoirs design. This is common knowledge.

And since you brought up the Trax, do you even know what a Trax shock is? It's just an SXS shock with a top-out spring built into the bottom yoke. Very cutting edge. Öhlins has the same part as a tuning item that installs internally. Not much there really.
1) You said no pro racers for KTM use WP. The pix above prove that wrong. I didn't post the pics to compare a 4CS system to a stock system. I simply posted them to show the forum that a statement that 'no KTM pro riders use WP' is untrue.

2) Yes I know what a Trax is. From a rider feel perspective a Trax is on par with a TTX. They're both great shocks.

Quote:
But I guess that's the beauty of the internet; everybody gets to read the random opinions of complete strangers and magically become an expert over night... next.
Quote:
I know there won't be many on here that can benefit from the upgrade
These statements are what I'm talking about. Pompous and condescending.

And btw, I was never questioning your knowledge as to what a Trax, SXS, 4CS, yada yada yada is.... or what your knowledge on anything is.... you're going there for no reason. Back to main point: just because you geek out on this stuff still doesn't change the fact that BOTH Ohlins and WP make decent entry level stuff and very good pro level stuff. So no, Ohlins isn't necessarily superior to WP. That's just your individual opinion.

My opinion, take it or leave it, is that I like WP's stock/entry stuff better than Ohlins stock/entry level stuff.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #22
PowerCell OP
Manufacture

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
It seems as though when people contradict your opinion at all you flame them pretty hard.

Hey, I can appreciate that. But I'm not willing to let this become an opinion thread. There's plenty of suspension opinion threads out there that go nowhere and solve nothing. I'd much rather make this be a sandbox for the big-boys. The subject matter is professional level suspension, so unless you have extensive experience on the subject it's probably best not to expose yourself to questioning. I truly welcome anybody’s input on this subject. But if you come in here with a position, be prepared to defend it. We don't need anymore people making misleading statements.

And where as opinions are fine, when it comes to certain subjects (suspension specifically), they need to be backed by credentials in order to give that opinion validity.

So with that in mind, I plan to ask people to explain themselves. It's the only way this thread can serve to inform and educate. And it's the only way this thread will be able to separate the fact from the fluff... this can be a fun thread

PowerCell screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 09:18 AM
Old 05-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #23
PowerCell OP
Manufacture

Quote:
1)My opinion, take it or leave it, is that I like WP's stock/entry stuff better than Ohlins stock/entry level stuff.

OK, that's cool... I appreciate that. But it's not what we're talking about here. Öhlins TTx isn't entry level suspension. It's what the pros use. And it's available to you. And my statement about most not being able to really appreciate this stuff is true. You'd have to push a 990 pretty friggin' hard to get the benefits that this stuff can bring to you. But for the few out that really like their Adventure/SER and want to take it to the next level, I'm taking a head count to see if it's something worth pursuing...

Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #24
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Thanks Ken. I appreciate it. I'll get out of your way here.

That said, if opinions are to be vacant in this thread, even the OP has to abide by that rule.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #25
PowerCell OP
Manufacture

Quote:
Thanks Ken. I appreciate it. I'll get out of your way here.

That said, if opinions are to be vacant in this thread, even the OP has to abide by that rule.

Absolutely. What would you like to know?

Old 05-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #26
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,294
I would love to try a few trails on something that has some proper oomph in it.

However, out of interest, against an SPS re-valved and re-sprung OEM "S" system on an adventure, what type of riding would the Ohlins shine? I understand that it should be better everywhere, but where would it shine the most? Sand, whoops, fast gravel, baby headed rocky trails, touring, mud, etc?

"Would I like?" Hell Yeah!
"Will I take?" Shit, depends on how well my year goes.

I answered beer, until I know what the ball park figure would be.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #27
PowerCell OP
Manufacture

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanya View Post
I would love to try a few trails on something that has some proper oomph in it.

However, out of interest, against an SPS re-valved and re-sprung OEM "S" system on an adventure, what type of riding would the Ohlins shine? I understand that it should be better everywhere, but where would it shine the most? Sand, whoops, fast gravel, baby headed rocky trails, touring, mud, etc?

"Would I like?" Hell Yeah!
"Will I take?" Shit, depends on how well my year goes.

I answered beer, until I know what the ball park figure would be.

LOL... that's funny, and probably a really smart position to take. The stuff's gonna be expensive. The fully bypass design of the Mk-II will help in most every environment, depending on what your suspension is like now. The two places that it will shine most are high-speed gravel and rock gardens. These are two situations that having competely seperate compression/HS compression/rebound circuits will allow the suspension to remain plush while still being able to handle whoops. You won't need to compromise one for the other...

Old 05-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #28
pulpo2011
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
So you're telling me a WP Trax is inferior to an Ohlins TTX? Not so. Equal, sure.

The stock WP suspenders on the 990 are FAR superior to the entry level Ohlins by a long shot.

Having owned and ridden both, at a level that would appreciate it, I can say that I am more impressed with WP than Ohlins, hands down. (I had Ohlins on my F800GS and my G450X)

And there may be a KTM or two out there that run Ohlins, but the majority of KTM riders run WP.

Not saying Ohlins is inferior or bad stuff. Just saying that saying Ohlins is superior is a stretch.

+1
pulpo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #29
PowerCell OP
Manufacture

Yuuup... those are some sweet pix. Did you guys notice that Dungey and Roczen's bikes don't have rear springs? Trick shit for sure...

Old 05-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #30
kennyd
kennyd

Oddometer: 231
ohlins solution

I have enjoyed a complete Ohlins front fork for over 2 years with a revalved and re-sprung rear shock on my KTM 950 SE and would love to balance the bike with a TTX44MKH with the same travel. The value of this kit will depend on the optional spring rates and matching internal valving available to optimize this investment. The Ohlins front forks offer incredible compliance on small and medium bumps yet stiffen up progressively to prevent harsh bottoming. I am sure Powercell will offer complete tuning solutions as all his projects have shown his dedication and expertise on the KTM 990/950 bikes.I look forward to his opinions and accept that he does not tolerate fools lightly! I am willing to put up funds to further his research into providing a balanced and optimized suspension solution! thanks!
kennyd is offline   Reply With Quote