Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 01:52 AM   #16
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
The accident happened in Vancouver, and apparently, the driver of the SUV has yet to be charged with anything.
wtf ...

She should be jailed for the rest of her life ...

I had a friend who lost his right lower leg in an accident and he used to ride with a prosthetic leg afterwards... Back home I started going on foot for the last couple of years and use the car whenever I go somewhere, I now only use bikes either on the racetrack or in the mountains... It is really a jungle out there

Wishing him all the best for a good recovery
Old 05-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
A very stark reminder about how fragile the human body is when it meets a few tons of moving steel.

Best wishes for your friend.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Goodness, I was totally not expecting that as I was scrolling down looking at the xrays. I'm sorry about the accident. Prayers sent for a speedy recovery.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #19
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 478
Charges are pointless, my wife was killed while riding, the woman who hit her got a 160 dollar fine. What does that do for me? Sweet dick, that's what. What is important is the procurement of a good lawyer, as your friend will be financially tied down for the rest of his life dealing with prosthetics, physio, work time lost etc. When I read of these accidents, I can't help but think that many of us as bikers aren't reading the invisible signs that say we are entering a danger zone. Kind of like the pedestrian who pushes the button at a cross walk, then walks out without looking for traffic and gets hit and killed. Was he right? Sure he was, but it didn't save his life. Your spidey senses have to always be alert, or else. Not saying that is what happened to your friend, but busy intersections are always a place where I am on high alert.
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #20
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
I hope for a speedy recovery for your friend. That is truly a terrible accident, was not expecting that outcome.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
I wasn't really expecting that picture either...

...but that is the reality of having cagers who think driving 25 km's over the limit is something to do while talking on a phone, etc. It humbles me.
Is your buddy an inmate here? If he isn't, let him know that a lot of people here are pullin' for him. On the plus side, from what you say he may be able to ride one day and can still use his lower extremities, which is a big +1
Where was the incident? I live in Vancouver and there are some definite places to avoid, wondering if I should add this to my list.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #22
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,307
I send my best wishes to your buddy and I hope he can get back on the bike again if that's what he wants.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #23
thumpididump OP
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,428
No, he doesn't hang out on ADVRider. Not exactly sure where the accident happened, he said it was within the city, but not exactly downtown. Not far some type of industrial area, yet within a few minutes of his downtown condo.

He was moved from the hospital to a rehabilitation centre a few days ago. He even got to day pass to go home for a night, so things are starting to look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
...but that is the reality of having cagers who think driving 25 km's over the limit is something to do while talking on a phone, etc. It humbles me.
Is your buddy an inmate here? If he isn't, let him know that a lot of people here are pullin' for him. On the plus side, from what you say he may be able to ride one day and can still use his lower extremities, which is a big +1
Where was the incident? I live in Vancouver and there are some definite places to avoid, wondering if I should add this to my list.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #24
Gener
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Bluhduh Very sad for your pal

Best of luck to your buddy. He's taken a very severe injury and he'll need a lot of support from his friends. Too many cases of the inattentive drivers careening into a bikes, pedestrians and other vehicles. While some are simply poor or agressive, others lack experiance and just don't know enough to look around the A pillar, or rear view mirror, when they scan for traffic. I'm glad your friend survived. I hope the Vancouver police get their shit together and charge this driver with a minimum of Dangerous Driving; she may need to have her license pulled to get the message through; and to send the message to others. Driving is a privilege not a right, and it requires attention to avoid hurting others or yourself.
Gener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #25
thumpididump OP
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,428
an update on my friend:

He's out of the hospital now and enjoying being at home (nearly 2 months in the hospital and rehab). He goes to the rehab place for physiotherapy every day now.

His leg is healing well and he hopes to get fitted with a prosthetic leg in a 2-3 more months.

Since it was his left leg, he can still drive a car so long as it's got an automatic transmission. While he was in the hospital, he received a giant bonus cheque (he had a well paying job, for which he received huge bonuses a couple of times a year so long as targets were met). Anyway, he spent his last bonus cheque on a 2014 Mustang GT convertible. He just placed his order and is now waiting for it to arrive (about 3 weeks). That should help the healing.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #26
Aces & Eights
GearHead

Oddometer: 34
A few years back the exact same thing happened to me.
The Biatch cage driver had an expired licience and didnt even get a ticket.
I got 16 shattered bones and she got to go home.

The insurance company is not your friend.
Get a lawyer.

If your friend was not on the clock at the time of the accident his only recourse is to sue the at fault driver for damages.

If he was on the clock while riding he should be covered by WorkSafeBC.

Aces & Eights screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 08:58 PM
Aces & Eights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #27
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 529
passing along some more good wishes for your pal's recovery, sounds like he's doing well, considering everything...

Somebody turning into me like that or somebody piling into me from behind while stopped are really the only things I'm afraid of when riding.
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote