Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #616
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
$20-25 is fair, plus parts like valve stems and weights if needed.

I am lucky I can do my own, and most of my friends take advantage of that, for some rum, and we all are cool!

Jim
This is what I do. A guy I know down the road has his own tire changer in his garage, plus a balancer thingy and all the valve stems and weights you could shake a stick at. His payment: Beer or a donation of your choice.

I'm cool with that. Plus, I help and do a good bit of the work, so I am learning how to do it myself for future needs. Win-win in my book
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #617
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 783
So if I put a tire machine in my shop I'll never have to buy beer?
I could retire early!
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #618
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
I could retire early!
Most likely not

Don't know about retiring early though
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #619
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
crf250L...the very last 'til March 2014?

Had a powersports dealer in central NJ show me his "last" CRF250L "for the season" today, out of 7 he said he had at the start. Seems once a wholesale delivery to a dealership is sold off, that's it - no "ordering" more, and no deliveries to dealers until the start of next year's season, around March 2014. Does this sound right? So, if you sell all your new bikes by June 30, what do you do with your empty floor all summer, ballroom lessons?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #620
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth650 View Post
So, if you sell all your new bikes by June 30, what do you do with your empty floor all summer, ballroom lessons?
Dealers exchanges
Old 05-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #621
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Had a powersports dealer in central NJ show me his "last" CRF250L "for the season" today, out of 7 he said he had at the start. Seems once a wholesale delivery to a dealership is sold off, that's it - no "ordering" more, and no deliveries to dealers until the start of next year's season,
It depends:
1---That's the way American Honda is doing things
2---The model will change and there really aren't any more of this model
3---He was lying to you.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #622
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
$20-25 is fair, plus parts like valve stems and weights if needed.

I am lucky I can do my own, and most of my friends take advantage of that, for some rum, and we all are cool!

Jim
The local shop I use is wholly owned and operated by a very nice couple. No Vehicle Sales, minimal accessory sales BUT their service is second to none.

I carry in my Rims for tire changes. The last invoice I paid was $23.74. That was for mounting, balancing, wheel weights, labour and taxes. I keep going back.

Nowadays, when I walk in the owner will generally nod to the tire machine and say, "You know where it is - get yourself started!"
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #623
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
I could retire early!

Yep, pretty much.

I don't drink all that much, but I drink well. Fine ales I've earned via tire changes and other informal mechanicking really start to pile up about midsummer.

Fortunately, I can throw a cookout and clear out much of the backlog on MotoGP weekend.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #624
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Yep, pretty much.

I don't drink all that much, but I drink well. Fine ales I've earned via tire changes and other informal mechanicking really start to pile up about midsummer.

Fortunately, I can throw a cookout and clear out much of the backlog on MotoGP weekend.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #625
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
What I heard from my dealer when I ordered a few parts this morning;

"I have a overnight order going for the service department, I'll add your stuff on it, and you can pick it up tomorrow..."
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #626
rdcamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Swung by my local Honda dealership riding my Cannondale home from work to try to see one of the new CB 500s purely for shits and giggles.

Asked the rep if they had one, he said "yeah man! can't beat it for the price"

The only bike he was pointing at as a CBR 250. I shook my head and got on it, got off and proceeded to leave"

Then another rep dashes after me saying, "Aren't you the guy who called this morning"

"Nope"

Oh well, we've got great deals going on for you right now 1.1% APR etc etc etc.

If I was a mean person I would have told him they need to learn how to fucking count, or if I can get two 250s for the price of one 500 since its half the size.

Why can't the AMAZING local Kawi or Suzuki dealer be the one I pass every day to work? Lol
rdcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #627
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 888
Dealers take a bad rap. My experience with them is that there are a few that have no scruples and will rape you if they can. The rest are just honest folk with a passion for bikes, trying to make a living. What I can't stand are people who take their bike to get fixed, or tires they bought online mounted - and then bitch about the price. Profit is not a ; letter word. Last week, my bike needed new tires the day before a big trip. I called my local dealer who fit me in, orders a set of tires overnight, and got the job done. It cost $493 for a new set of Tires, install, balancing, and disposal. Was it spend? Sure. But they bust their ass to accommodate me, and stayed late afterwards so I could pick it up.
I work in a similar industry. Service costs money. I paid the bill, ride away satisfied. My time is worth money, and so is theirs.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #628
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Dealers take a bad rap. My experience with them is that there are a few that have no scruples and will rape you if they can. The rest are just honest folk with a passion for bikes, trying to make a living. What I can't stand are people who take their bike to get fixed, or tires they bought online mounted - and then bitch about the price. Profit is not a ; letter word. Last week, my bike needed new tires the day before a big trip. I called my local dealer who fit me in, orders a set of tires overnight, and got the job done. It cost $493 for a new set of Tires, install, balancing, and disposal. Was it spend? Sure. But they bust their ass to accommodate me, and stayed late afterwards so I could pick it up.
I work in a similar industry. Service costs money. I paid the bill, ride away satisfied. My time is worth money, and so is theirs.
I agree with this philosophy. I figure that i can easily blow the $50 that i saved on something I won't have the next day, (drinks, food etc.) But, having my bike serviced properly and a good relationship with the shop lasts a lot longer...or something like that.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #629
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Dealers take a bad rap....
I don't think anybody is expecting better service for less money. It's bad service for more money that most of us are complaining about.

The Dodge dealer wanted over $35 for an oil filter for my Dodge/Cummins truck because it was "special". WTF is special about an oil filter? It's not like there's one standard in the world, and the Cummins uses something else.
Online, a Wix filter was less than $10. At the Napa across the street it was $15, and in stock. The guy at Napa didn't try and convince me it was "special"; it's just another oil filter.

That's the kind of thing dealer get a bad rep for. High prices, mixed with a BS story to justify his price.

I'll pay extra for good service, like at McMaster Carr or the local auto parts place that hires mechanics, rather than teens who don't know the difference between 4WD and ABS.
I'll pay more for convenience.
I'll pay more when I trust that even if things go wrong, they'll be made right.

I won't pay more just because Suzuki has given the local mouth breather a franchise.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #630
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
I don't think anybody is expecting better service for less money. It's bad service for more money that most of us are complaining about.

The Dodge dealer wanted over $35 for an oil filter for my Dodge/Cummins truck because it was "special". WTF is special about an oil filter? It's not like there's one standard in the world, and the Cummins uses something else.
Online, a Wix filter was less than $10. At the Napa across the street it was $15, and in stock. The guy at Napa didn't try and convince me it was "special"; it's just another oil filter.

That's the kind of thing dealer get a bad rep for. High prices, mixed with a BS story to justify his price.

I'll pay extra for good service, like at McMaster Carr or the local auto parts place that hires mechanics, rather than teens who don't know the difference between 4WD and ABS.
I'll pay more for convenience.
I'll pay more when I trust that even if things go wrong, they'll be made right.

I won't pay more just because Suzuki has given the local mouth breather a franchise.
I get the 4-2-1 kits at Geno's Garage.

I had a bad Auto parts deal one time.
I needed a water pump for a Chevy 235 6 cylinder. Ordered it from one of the local parts stores. I was out of town when it came in so I had a friend pick it up.
Got home and the person who picked it up said "That water pump sure was expensive!"
Me: How much was it?
Buddy: $83.
Me: WTF!

I took it right back, walked in and said "I'd like to return this water pump."
Parts guy: What's wrong with it?
Me: Its missing the gold lining.
Parts guy:
Me: Any water pump for a Chevy 6 cylinder that cost's 80+ dollars should have some gold in it somewhere.
Parts guy: There will be a 15% restocking fee because it was a special order.
Me: Special order? Whatever, go right ahead, I'll still save money going to the other parts store.

I had to order it from the other store but there price OTD...$24.

Needless to say I don't buy parts there anymore.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote