ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #22891
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
@GSAPilot, put me down for $1/bridge, plus another $1/bridge after the next Richmond FF kicks in.

(Linky here.)
Nice Brenda. I was all stoked to do this when it was posted the other day until I saw Thursday at 13:00 which I can't do. I will instead pay $1 for every bridge Brenda goes over or under or $60 should the number of bridges be less than last year.

EDIT* Reading that again I see now that Brenda is pledging and not riding. I will pledge my support to a rider in need of more pledges.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #22892
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Nice Brenda. I was all stoked to do this when it was posted the other day until I saw Thursday at 13:00 which I can't do. I will instead pay $1 for every bridge Brenda goes over or under or $60 should the number of bridges be less than last year.
Hey Dirt, to clarify, I won't be able to make the ride either, but I am supporting GSAPilot's (over/under) bridge crossings. I'm sure he'll be tickled by your additional support!

Edit: I see your edit. All good!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #22893
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Hey Dirt, to clarify, I won't be able to make the ride either, but I am supporting GSAPilot's (over/under) bridge crossings. I'm sure he'll be tickled by your additional support!

Edit: I see your edit. All good!
Sorry. I was not trying to confuse anyone. I was just confused myself. Brenda, did you have a DR650 not too long ago or am I confusing you with someone else?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #22894
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Sorry. I was not trying to confuse anyone. I was just confused myself. Brenda, did you have a DR650 not too long ago or am I confusing you with someone else?
Hi Dirt, the only bike I've had in recent history apart from the baby GS is a '73 CB500. At one point I was chatting about possibly also getting a DR, but something more like a DR200 (or XT225). At this point I'm leaning toward fiddling with the F650's suspension and such instead (or first? TBD).

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #22895
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,071
Quote:
@GSAPilot, put me down for $1/bridge, plus another $1/bridge after the next Richmond FF kicks in.

(Linky here.)
Brenda, thank you for the plug and pledge... I'll be posting my real time ride with the SPOT (12pm - 6pm) Thursday and then have a Ride Report that night on the SMIB site. All pledgers or Riders get a SMIB sticker.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #22896
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
And your point??

My point is they would be CUSTOM.

The other point is that I wasn't thinking about adult toys or guns.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #22897
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Hi Dirt, the only bike I've had in recent history apart from the baby GS is a '73 CB500. At one point I was chatting about possibly also getting a DR, but something more like a DR200 (or XT225). At this point I'm leaning toward fiddling with the F650's suspension and such instead (or first? TBD).
Yep. I was confused. Work is so distracting sometimes... Those little bikes are fun. I had an XT225 for a few months, but even as short as I am it was way too small for me. My knees were so bent I could hardly get my butt off the seat. I tried to get my dad to buy it but he said it was too peppy and powerful for him. The low end torque scared him. It was fun to watch.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #22898
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,542
For anyone looking for something to do, the Military Aviation Museum in VA Beach is having their WWII airshow next weekend. They're promising a flying FW-190, an ME-262 (!!!) and the world's only flyable DH Mosquito.

I'm planning on riding out Saturday with some friends.

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/ww2-airshow.html
Old 05-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #22899
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,221
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Actually I think that using a 3d printer to make motorcycle fairing molds designed in CAD could be a pretty lucrative business...
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
It's simple plastic and there are a couple different types/colors available.

It come's in spools like weed whacker cord, and it is melted by a hot tip similar to a hot glue gun...

Being the Cad Guru has benefits, but Fairings and such are complex flowing rounded shapes, which no current Cad program is good for relating to design...unfortunatly...

BT, have you actually seen / held the plastic used for that process?
I had a "Flatbed" type 3d Modeler back around '95 when I worked for Gould, it had a 12 x 12 platen, and deposited layers like an ink jet printer.
Cost a bizillion$$ for the thing then, and the prototype plastic was very soft and not durable, a cross between extremely hard wax and flakey plastic, actually about the same as hot-melt glue sticks... It would print "layers" about .002"-.005" th'k., and any voids during the vertical build contained "pillars" spaced out so you could crumble them out after the build...which supported the next consecutive layer.

I have to think even today, the meltable material is still soft, and fragile comparably.

The new industrial rage is UV hardenable plymers, where a High output UV light probe circulates in a "vat" of polymer, and "prints" the pattern by hardening in a vertical build in a similar fashion. Those plastics are much harder, and can actually be utilized for finished parts...unfortunatly they cost $$$$$$$$$$$
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #22900
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
From what I read, it prints with ABS or something called PLA.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #22901
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
For anyone looking for something to do, the Military Aviation Museum in VA Beach is having their WWII airshow next weekend. They're promising a flying FW-190, an ME-262 (!!!) and the world's only flyable DH Mosquito.

I'm planning on riding out Saturday with some friends.

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/ww2-airshow.html
Already scheduled to attend a rally up in PA, else I'd be there.

Durn!

Old 05-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #22902
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post
Being the Cad Guru has benefits, but Fairings and such are complex flowing rounded shapes, which no current Cad program is good for relating to design...unfortunatly...

BT, have you actually seen / held the plastic used for that process?
I had a "Flatbed" type 3d Modeler back around '95 when I worked for Gould, it had a 12 x 12 platen, and deposited layers like an ink jet printer.
Cost a bizillion$$ for the thing then, and the prototype plastic was very soft and not durable, a cross between extremely hard wax and flakey plastic, actually about the same as hot-melt glue sticks... It would print "layers" about .002"-.005" th'k., and any voids during the vertical build contained "pillars" spaced out so you could crumble them out after the build...which supported the next consecutive layer.

I have to think even today, the meltable material is still soft, and fragile comparably.

The new industrial rage is UV hardenable plymers, where a High output UV light probe circulates in a "vat" of polymer, and "prints" the pattern by hardening in a vertical build in a similar fashion. Those plastics are much harder, and can actually be utilized for finished parts...unfortunatly they cost $$$$$$$$$$$
You are correct on all those points, but it not quite so fragile.

I purchased a set of printed plastic parts that were made on a similar printer. The layers are thin, and I noticed they tend to break under load along layers.

The breakage I have seen so far is when I tighten the bolts a bit too snug.

When it comes to modeling, there are quite a few programs that you can use freely. A google search will show many. I have been using OpenSCAD and Autodesk 123D; both are free with different advantages. I will be checking out more though... still looking for the right one for me.

I am going to use this printer to make a flatbed XYZ router. I plan to use a dremmel for the cutting tool. I plan to cut wood and plastic with it for yet other projects.

I should have the printer working by middle of June... excited :)

There are quite a few printing technologies.. that UV stuff is nice... but expensive.

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #22903
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Yeah the printers that use lasers are definitely more precise too. Here's a cool and simple demonstration of the basic principles for those having trouble visualizing.

And yes, the plastics used may not be the most solid, but people are working with new material all the time. Extruded nylon seems pretty promising... But like I was saying, I'd use it for a mold and make fiberglass or carbon fiber fairings by hand using the mold in my business fantasy.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #22904
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA_PILOT View Post
Brenda, thank you for the plug and pledge... I'll be posting my real time ride with the SPOT (12pm - 6pm) Thursday and then have a Ride Report that night on the SMIB site. All pledgers or Riders get a SMIB sticker.
I'm in for a buck a bridge. That cancer is badd stuff!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #22905
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Dyna Beads

Here is the Report from tire companies about using Dyna Balancing Beads.

DUNLOP..."Dyna Beads WILL VOID the tire warranty". "Over time, beads will break down the inner liner of the tire."

MICHELIN..."They will not void the warranty, however, Michelin does not endorse nor condemn their use. We do prefer spin balancing with weights."

AVON..."We have not seen any issues from using the beads. We just prefer nothing in or on the tires that includes, cleaners, Slime, Nitrogen, Sidewall treatments or Armor All as it does cause cracking."

METZELER/PIRELLI...Using beads WILL VOID the tire Warranty. The only support medium allowed for the inside of our tires are compressed air or Nitrogen."

DR 650

I had an eamil about getting a free tube and rim strip with tire purchase and figured I wold check price and selection. I ran across this Dyna Bead Report and thought you guys may want to see it.