ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #16
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Oddometer: 461
Glenn whats the latest on the opening date?
aplscrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,798
They still haven't opened yet.... It's public & I guess there's a lot of political BS that they're working through. I'll let you know when I hear about a date.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #18
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,087
Old 09-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Delays & more delays. I got tired of waiting for good news, so I haven't been to their meetings. I had wanted to help clear trails back in the winter & early spring, but......kept getting delays. Then we got all the rain, and now I'd rather ride elsewhere than clear trails.

I'd forgotten how frustrating dealing with organizations' rules can be...

November is the last rumored opening date, but who knows. Some people are riding on Doe now, but it's not officially "open" yet.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #20
Hotrod3030
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Doe Mtn

The First Soft Opening Was 11-9-2013. Rode for about 5 hr I had A great Time. for more info check out their website. http://doemountain.org/
Hotrod3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #21
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

It's great place to ride. I'm glad that it is officially open. It's shame the day pass cost $18. The annual pass is reasonable for $60.

Let me know whenever any of you guys are heading over to Doe. I'm looking forward to checking out the new trails that have been added, especially the ones for bikes.

I've ridden my ATV there, but would rather ride it on bikes. It's spread out too much for the slow ATVs and the technical stuff isn't challenging enough for 4wd. I'm sure there will be excellent trails built soon. The south end, towards Butler, is supposed to be steep, but I haven't ridden there yet. I'm not sure if the trails have been cleared there yet. I'd be happy to volunteer to work design & clear the steep tricky sections.

I'm hoping Doe Mtn will become a destination area for riding. Hopefully the UTVs don't clog the trails too bad. I'm sure weekdays will be the best time to ride.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
racerron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Doe Mountain

Keep us posted, sounds like a good place to check out this spring.

If Glennr gives you the tour, you now your going to have a good time, he can find the good stuff.
racerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #23
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,784
that took a while, but I am glad it's open now.

but yes, $18 seems a bit stiff , maybe we can get a "group rate" for the RDV
Old 11-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #24
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Glenn, I'd like to check it out. When do you think you might be going?
Old 11-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #25
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

I probably won't have a chance to ride Doe till after Thanksgiving.

I'll have to call about the permits. I'm not sure of the details of the annual permits. There are a lot of potential variables that they could have chosen. I'd would have liked to purchase annual permits which were interchangeable, between any rider and any machine. That would allow me to buy 2 or 3 permits and ride with any guest(s) and ride any machine (I have bikes & atvs). If they decided to make the annual permits flexible, like that, I'll be much more likely to buy a few of them and take my family and friends to ride on Doe. If it isn't like that, I will only buy 1 annual pass for myself this first year and wait to see how things develop with, both the trails and the permits.

I'd suggested a lot of things, like group rates, lower day rates, etc. I'm really not sure of their intent with the $18.

(I don't know what the penalty is supposed to be for riding w/o a permit, but I'm sure plenty riders with plated bikes will try it.....)
Old 11-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #26
motobutane
Dirt ╭∩╮ š.š ╭∩╮only

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I probably won't have a chance to ride Doe till after Thanksgiving.

I'll have to call about the permits. I'm not sure of the details of the annual permits. There are a lot of potential variables that they could have chosen. I'd would have liked to purchase annual permits which were interchangeable, between any rider and any machine. That would allow me to buy 2 or 3 permits and ride with any guest(s) and ride any machine (I have bikes & atvs). If they decided to make the annual permits flexible, like that, I'll be much more likely to buy a few of them and take my family and friends to ride on Doe. If it isn't like that, I will only buy 1 annual pass for myself this first year and wait to see how things develop with, both the trails and the permits.

I'd suggested a lot of things, like group rates, lower day rates, etc. I'm really not sure of their intent with the $18.

(I don't know what the penalty is supposed to be for riding w/o a permit, but I'm sure plenty riders with plated bikes will try it.....)
Thanks Glenn for starting this thread, I'm 2 1/2 hours from the trailhead sooo it's within my ride window. $18 seems weird or maybe pay with a $20 and have enough for a soda??? May check it out soon.
motobutane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #27
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

The $18. does seem odd to me too but the more I think about it, I usually pay $15-$20 to go to the "good" privately owned parks/trail systems, or even up to $50 for something like the hatfield mccoy system (mind you that is a yearly pass). I think if and when I check it out, if the trails are good and challenging and enough of them, $18 is reasonable, but if they suck, thats the only $18 they will get from me and probably many others, their sucess will definitely hinge on the quality and quantity. BTW is that the norm for TN? Every ohv park in NC is a FS set price of $5...
Old 11-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #28
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplscrambles View Post
BTW is that the norm for TN? Every ohv park in NC is a FS set price of $5...
Buffalo near Erwin, TN is $5... but that's one in-and-out trail (long trail)
Old 11-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #29
samft
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I went and rode on Saturday. I stopped at Mountain City Cycles to get my pass and discovered they only have annual passes, which are $60 and good until Dec. 31, 2014. Since I'm only 40 minutes away, I'm sure I'll go enough to warrant the yearly pass, but the trails are all two-way right now, and that I don't really like, especially with big-ass UTVs all over the place. There is one nice and challenging single track trail there right now, #24 I think, but other than that it's all easy, wide UTV and ATV trails, with a couple short and technical trails thrown in the mix. They say they'll eventually have some one-way trails.

If you are going to get an annual pass, think about getting it at Mountain City Cycles. They paid for 100 of them up front in order to help the mountain have the funds for the necessary insurance.
samft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #30
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

1 decent trail and all 2 way for $18. meh... Think I'll hold off on it. Hate to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samft View Post
I went and rode on Saturday. I stopped at Mountain City Cycles to get my pass and discovered they only have annual passes, which are $60 and good until Dec. 31, 2014. Since I'm only 40 minutes away, I'm sure I'll go enough to warrant the yearly pass, but the trails are all two-way right now, and that I don't really like, especially with big-ass UTVs all over the place. There is one nice and challenging single track trail there right now, #24 I think, but other than that it's all easy, wide UTV and ATV trails, with a couple short and technical trails thrown in the mix. They say they'll eventually have some one-way trails.

If you are going to get an annual pass, think about getting it at Mountain City Cycles. They paid for 100 of them up front in order to help the mountain have the funds for the necessary insurance.