Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 321 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #28561
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,994
My 1200 report is available.....

My ride report of the Texas Rando Stampede 1200 is available. Thanks!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:47 AM   #28562
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,180
awesome ride k7 ! that's a hella accomplishment.

Thanks for the link and great read this morning.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #28563
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
That's one hot Roo-bay!!!

I thought it looked damn good too, thanks. Rides even better than it looks.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #28564
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I thought it looked damn good too, thanks. Rides even better than it looks.
Just wondering... did you test ride the Trek Domane before deciding on the Roubaix?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #28565
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Well, the 3 State 3 Mountain century was an adventure today. Im glad the wife goaded me into buying a Cannondale rain jacket last night during packet pickup, as it pissed down buckets and never exceeded 50 degrees today. Many times during the course of the ride I would say out loud "rule #5" just to push through. I witnessed several riders hobbling into the quitter bus at two of the sag stops. Those who of us who didn't give up (or take the shorter mileage options) decided to press on regardless despite conditions that proved to be deadly. At least one rider paid the ultimate price.
http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/5/4...3-State-3.aspx
Sounds like a brutal ride, congrats! Very saddened to hear about the death that occurred.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #28566
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
That is a great report.

1200 miles yikes! Amazing.
Can't wait to read the rest of the report.

I've only gotten part way through it though. Can't read it from work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #28567
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
New toy for the rig, just installed it last night, first ride tonight.

Now I can see how little power I'm putting out
...and that's another reason I haven't pushed ahead with one. While I want to know, I don't want to know.

M
Old 05-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #28568
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Just wondering... did you test ride the Trek Domane before deciding on the Roubaix?

yes I got to try a used domane 6.5. Very nice (this one was $4000+) and very similiar to the roubaix. I choose the roubaix (I bought new) as I thought it was the best bargain.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #28569
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I ended up picking up an Edge 200, fits what I need perfectly. I don't need anything but tracking. Got it from REI.

I noticed you use Strava, is there an advantage to using Strava over Garmin connect?
FWI've seen on my buddy's strava page, strava does most of the same stuff, just with added estimated power too. There may be a bit more stuff too, but I haven't dug around inside the site too much.

Awesome looking Roubaix!

M
Old 05-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #28570
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
I ended up picking up an Edge 200, fits what I need perfectly. I don't need anything but tracking. Got it from REI.

I noticed you use Strava, is there an advantage to using Strava over Garmin connect?
Nice! I hope you enjoy using it.

I use Garmin Training Center to initially download and save my info, because that's what the first edge I had used, then if I want to share the info I upload it to Strava. Never tried Garmin connect, so I can't comment on it, but like Gummee said, Strava breaks down the info and it's a free site, unless you want to pay for the upgraded one. Strava also allows people to upload from other devices, I don't know if Garmin Connect allows that or not.

The nice thing about training center is I can create folders to organize my data. I keep a monthly folder for each bike and I can go back and look at all my rides that I've saved since 2008. It's a lot easier than leafing through an old notebook, and I can compare months and years and see if I've made progress...or not...Either way, it's a fun way to go back and look at a ride and see where you were and how you performed.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #28571
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
yes I got to try a used domane 6.5. Very nice (this one was $4000+) and very similiar to the roubaix. I choose the roubaix (I bought new) as I thought it was the best bargain.
I bought the Specialized Venge for the same reason. I thought it was every bit as good as the Trek Madone 7 series, but it was on sale for about $2500 less.

I test rode both the Roubaix and Domane, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference between them. The Domane did feel slightly more compliant over bumps than the Madone 6.5 that I rode just minutes before on the same trail, but the difference wasn't a big one. The Roubaix didn't seem to smooth out the bumps as well as I'd expected, but it's hard to get an accurate reading on these bikes unless you ride them back to back in exactly the same conditions. Unfortunately that wasn't possible in this case, because the two dealerships are many miles apart.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #28572
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I've got a friend who uses both for every ride. Two differences I've seen is that Garmin Connect consistently reports shorter distances traveled than Strava, but lots more calories burned. That may not matter to you unless cycling is part of a weight loss routine, as it is for him. Strava also allows you to compare your performance to that of other riders, which I don't think GC does. That feature has been a great incentive for many of us Strava users to improve our performance, and anything that motivates you to get out on the bike and ride can't be a bad thing.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #28573
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I've got a friend who uses both for every ride. Two differences I've seen is that Garmin Connect consistently reports shorter distances traveled than Strava, but lots more calories burned. That may not matter to you unless cycling is part of a weight loss routine, as it is for him.
I noticed the calorie thing to when I first uploaded to Strava, but the distances seem pretty close. I'm skeptical of calories-burned estimates in general, though.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #28574
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Good stuff, Gerry. BTW, that hat is you.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #28575
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,501
K7

Yeah, great writeup! You could pass for a lobster!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: