ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West Ė California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #31
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
But I don't know, it's just always been a dream of mine to ride n camp up there!

Then you should do it.

I'm not fond of redoing the same routes either.

It's not that

Only time i do, is to plan it out. I have Nuvi but have a hard time routing maps... is the Zumo better for that kind of stuff?? Thanks for the forum though!

Ever thought of leading some rides through this area?? I have led a couple and it was awesome!
Have a hard time routing maps? You mean routing from a paper map?
I use a paper map primly to get the Big Picture. However, I can use it as a source for routing points.
I have an old Zumo, a 450 which I like very much. I can make routes up on my home computer with MapSource and download them to the Zumo if I want. And I can save a ride as a route. But I donít like long dedicated routes. I always change my mind and want to go a different way. But the Zumo resist that and tries to bring me back onto my original course

I like auto routing, itís flexible, and if I deviate from the route it will just give me a new route to my target. Itís easer just to make a route up on the my home computer though.

What it amounts too, with auto routing I can pick the roads I want to ride as I go. The Zumo just lets me know, very quickly, if the road I have chosen can get me to my target. I find it a lot fun to ride this way. And itís an essay way to discover new roads and routes too ride.

How many ways can I get to Bonne Doon?

I have found this technique works best if the target is less then 30 miles as the crow files. However, I once crossed western Oregon, south to north, all on back roads using only 5 points to route me. It was a great ride.

If had to buy a new GPS, Iíd likely buy the Montana.

If you like Group rides; South Bay Riders forum has a Group ride folder. http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #32
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Have a hard time routing maps? You mean routing from a paper map?
I use a paper map primly to get the Big Picture. However, I can use it as a source for routing points.
I have an old Zumo, a 450 which I like very much. I can make routes up on my home computer with MapSource and download them to the Zumo if I want. And I can save a ride as a route. But I donít like long dedicated routes. I always change my mind and want to go a different way. But the Zumo resist that and tries to bring me back onto my original course

I like auto routing, itís flexible, and if I deviate from the route it will just give me a new route to my target. Itís easer just to make a route up on the my home computer though.

What it amounts too, with auto routing I can pick the roads I want to ride as I go. The Zumo just lets me know, very quickly, if the road I have chosen can get me to my target. I find it a lot fun to ride this way. And itís an essay way to discover new roads and routes too ride.

How many ways can I get to Bonne Doon?

I have found this technique works best if the target is less then 30 miles as the crow files. However, I once crossed western Oregon, south to north, all on back roads using only 5 points to route me. It was a great ride.

If had to buy a new GPS, Iíd likely buy the Montana.

If you like Group rides; South Bay Riders forum has a Group ride folder. http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/

I certainly like to change the plan at the last minute too! It makes he ride much more enjoyable. I have a set course every single day to either work or school so being able to change as I go makes it much more pleasurable.

I have not been able to plan a route on my computer yet... I have a Mac and Mapsource doesn't seem to like Macs I will probably just run Parallels. I do not know also if I can pre-load a map on my Nuvi from a computer...

All through Oregon on backroads?? That must have been a blast!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #33
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
All through Oregon on backroads?? That must have been a blast!
Yep, a little planning and with the GPS’s helped make it easy and fun.

I think the Zumo is the best accessory I ever bought for riding.
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 02:30 PM
Old 04-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #34
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,306
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883182
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #35
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
There you go, this is a fun ride
Untill I'm ready
Old 04-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #36
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yep, a little planning and with the GPSís helped make it easy and fun.

I think the Zumo is the best accessory I ever bought for riding.
Maybe i will sell my Zumi and get a Zumo instead then! I never use the Zumi, Iphones work just fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
Oh that look looks awesome! THanks!

Quote:
There you go, this is a fun ride
Old 04-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #37
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Maybe i will sell my Zumi and get a Zumo instead then!
Oh, I am sorry; I am not advocating you buy a new Zumo. I donít have one and I am not sure how well it works. I think the 660 works well but..... and they are expensive.
Last year my 450 broke down and Garmin would not repairer it, it was a discontinued unit. There is a thread in Layin Down Tracks with gave me hope I could fix the 450.
While I tried to figure it out, I bought a Zumo 220 which was a newer model and pretty expensive. It was a big disappointment after having used a 450, still useful though. But I donít believe it would have worked well on my trip through Oregon
I was eventually able to fix my 450 and Iím a happy camper again.
Untill I'm ready
Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #38
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh, I am sorry; I am not advocating you buy a new Zumo. I donít have one and I am not sure how well it works. I think the 660 works well but..... and they are expensive.
Last year my 450 broke down and Garmin would not repairer it, it was a discontinued unit. There is a thread in Layin Down Tracks with gave me hope I could fix the 450.
While I tried to figure it out, I bought a Zumo 220 which was a newer model and pretty expensive. It was a big disappointment after having used a 450, still useful though. But I donít believe it would have worked well on my trip through Oregon
I was eventually able to fix my 450 and Iím a happy camper again.

Oh don't worry it wasn't anything soon or for sure! More of a "just kidding" moment". I really like the Zumi but for motorcycle i find it really hard to use because it always calculates 'shortest time' and when i chose a different route it tends to flip out on me! Also I do not think I can preload maps on there... or can i...?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #39
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Actually found this Iphone app which lets me plan and save maps too! Super excited for the next joy ride!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #40
DRGNHTR
Dragonhunter

Oddometer: 443
Thumb Try BARF

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...splay.php?f=32
DRGNHTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #41
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually found this Iphone app which lets me plan and save maps too! Super excited for the next joy ride!
Good, I donít quite know what that is but good.
Does the Iphone do Next Turn too?

Are you going on the Parkfield ride?
Untill I'm ready
Old 05-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #42
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Good, I donít quite know what that is but good.

Are you going on the Parkfield ride?

Let me rephrase, I have been trying to get a device to save my maps and show friends and post on here, hence why i asked about the Zumo, but i actually found an app called MotoTracker which let's me save and share maps and routes that i've done, so i am stoked!

No the Iphone doesn't have Next Turn... What is it??

As for Parkfield, I plan to, but depends on if i have a bike! I am in the process of selling my Vulcan and getting a KLR so if the sell and buy happen before then, then i will be there!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #43
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
No the Iphone doesn't have Next Turn... What is it??

As for Parkfield, I plan to, but depends on if i have a bike! I am in the process of selling my Vulcan and getting a KLR so if the sell and buy happen before then, then i will be there!
What, you are not riding the Vulcan again until it is sold? I thought you were buying a Triumph.

Next Turn is a mileage countdown to the next road change on my route. It is usually the only thing I am interested in and I can see it at a glance

Parkfield is not a hard ride but it is a fun ride.
I have ridden down there on a Sunday afternoon and have gone a 100 miles without seeing another vehicle on the road. Fun roads too.
Untill I'm ready
Old 05-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #44
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Check out the Google Maps app for iPhone- gives turn-by-turn directions and reads 'em into your earbuds.

I rode Tahoe a couple of weekends ago- slabbed it the whole way. The hill part was fun, but slab sucked- super hot and windy through Sac. A buddy tried to get me to ride from South Lake up along the lake and then down 80 to come back, but I didn't have the time- pity, I hear that's a great ride.

Another good ride is Skyline -> 9 -> Santa Cruz, and then 1 south -> Big Sur. Stay the night in Big Sur, then 1 south -> Cambria, 46 -> Paso Robles, then over to 25- we did 198, but Indian Valley Road out of Big Sandy looks even better (and less time on 101). Then 25 -> Hollister is a glorious ride! Careful, no gas for 70+ miles. Then we took the slab home 'cause it was 8 on a Sunday night when we rolled out of Hollister, but a great trip.

Report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880186
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #45
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRags View Post
Check out the Google Maps app for iPhone- gives turn-by-turn directions and reads 'em into your earbuds.
I think most of the GPS can do that.
Next Turn is really nice to have. On a foggy day on Hwy1 with traffic on your ass for one thing.
I would really miss Next Turn if I didnít have it.
Maps, my Zumo 220 has a really good road map of North America on it. And I can also add specialized maps via a SD card to either unit.
I can route off road by an arrow pointing me in the direction I need to go to reach may target, with a mileage countdown.
I can find the closest gas station or place to eat from where I am at easily.
I can find roads to route to easily.
When I first bought my 450, I was really disappointed; I didnít understand how to use it. It took me a while to get proficient.
It was my second ride that I got an inkling on good this was.
I was coming up Hwy 33 from Coalinga. I knew the route but letís see what the GPS says

No traffic on 33, I did a search for communities as I was riding. New Idria popped up, yeah, I want to get on that road.
The Zumo gave me a route but where is it going. I looked at the Next Turn pages; itís going to the freeway. I donít want to do that.

I turned onto a side road and the Zumo gave me a new route, a really fun one that I didnít know about

I am a fan.
And likely prejudice. I really donít know haw well the Iphone works

If I was buying a new GPS, I probably would not buy a Zumo. A Montana most likely
Untill I'm ready