User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #466
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Fuel Pump.

Thats what i was seeing and i was trying to deny the fact that i would have to pay 300 clams for the whole unit. Reality tells me that i will be transfering pumps to the new tank.
Thanks for the info, MaxV.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #467
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Thanks, Maxvert, for the info about pumps!
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #468
motorcycledave1000
Speed Thrills

Oddometer: 82
2014 500

Hi all. Posted below on the 500 EXC forum, but figured you all would want to see it too.

Was cruising the KTM website and information for the 2014 500 EXC is up. European version EXC doesn't look street legal, more like our XC-W. Has it always been this way?

Not on the USA web site though, go to the UK version here:

http://www.ktm.com/gb/enduro/500-exc-eu/highlights.html

Boy we americans get boned by KTM when it comes to new stuff, no 1190ADV yet and no 2014's yet. And, no Six-Days models.

From the website:

"Spoiler, airbox cover and front fender, including headlight mask and headlight, have all been restyled for 2014"

"A new, refined graphic design with clear lines underlines the high demands made of a modern, state-of-the-art offroad motorcycle."

"A new handbrake armature has been employed for the 2014 model year, with new remote reservoir, smaller brake piston diameter and a new lever with optimised lever kinematics. As a result and thanks to optimised sintered brake pads (Toyo B169), the performance and application of the front brake have been perceptibly improved again."

"The cylinder head is equipped with an overhead camshaft, which has been reduced in weight by approx. 10% for MY 2014."

"The lightweight, forged piston with a box-in-box design is equipped with the high-performance piston rings of the 450 SX‑F for MY 2014. The benefits are reduced oil consumption and optimised performance."

"So the new frame not only shines with the new colour, it also clearly represents the benchmark in terms of weight and stability."

"For the 2014 model year, our engineers have revised the chainguide for the benefit of higher functional reliability, while simultaneously reducing the weight."

"Newly developed high-performance fork oil and new seal rings provide improved responsiveness with more constant damping properties."

Enjoy.

2008 KTM990 Adventure
2002 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2002 Yamaha WR-426
1983 Honda V45 Interceptor
motorcycledave1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #469
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycledave1000 View Post
European version EXC doesn't look street legal, more like our XC-W. Has it always been this way?

Yes, all the European EXCs are like the American XC-Ws. You see the bikes in the website and all the promotional material without the road legal stuff (mirrors, big rear mud guard, blinkers, chain protector, etc) but they give you all the items in a bag when you purchase the motorbike, and you need to install all the items when you have to pass an inspection, which takes place (at least in Spain) after 4 years of use, and then every 2 years, or the bike will not pass the inspection

And... if a Law Enforcement Officer pulls you over without all the stuff, he/she can write several tickets...

The good thing is that our bikes do NOT have all the emissions junk that mostly all Americans have to remove from their KTMs... thank goodness!!
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #470
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Cooling issues at 80f

I was grinding my way up an abandoned steep road grade in first gear, it was 80f, and I could feel the heat coming up through the seat. We stopped, the fan was running and another 15 seconds and stopped. If you listened carefully it sounded like the coolant was boiling. Not boiling over just boiling in the radiators. I had never hard that and am concerned. It's just starting to get hot around here.
I didn't think the xc-w had this issue.
The bike is stock except for the acerbis tank and the 14|52 gearing.
The bike is acting like its running a little lean as well.
Is there a better coolant? Seems like the least modifying and least expensive way to go?
Thanks
Old 06-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #471
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb View Post
I was grinding my way up an abandoned steep road grade in first gear, it was 80f, and I could feel the heat coming up through the seat. We stopped, the fan was running and another 15 seconds and stopped. If you listened carefully it sounded like the coolant was boiling. Not boiling over just boiling in the radiators. I had never hard that and am concerned. It's just starting to get hot around here.
I didn't think the xc-w had this issue.
The bike is stock except for the acerbis tank and the 14|52 gearing.
The bike is acting like its running a little lean as well.
Is there a better coolant? Seems like the least modifying and least expensive way to go?
Thanks
flush the oem coolant out with distilled water and put some "engine ice" in there.

Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #472
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Engine Ice

I have heard this might help.
I want to start off simple and keep this thing as stock as possible without investing another fortune. Engine Ice seems like a nice step in the right direction.
Simple attempts first.
Appreciate the info.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #473
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb View Post
I have heard this might help.
I want to start off simple and keep this thing as stock as possible without investing another fortune. Engine Ice seems like a nice step in the right direction.
Simple attempts first.
Appreciate the info.
Yep, I second that. These bikes are known to run hot. I run Water Wetter and distilled water. RLR Products makes a coolant recovery tank for the overflow which i'd highly recommend. Then you don't boil anything out and lose it.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #474
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,018
You could put an over flow catch tank on it. Search around there are a couple available.
If this bike is anything like my 300 it can boil over, run hot, steam and
moan and grown and still run awesome.
KTM builds a stout moto, ride it don't worry about a little steam.

If you do over fill the rad expect it to blow off some coolant.

Max

MAXVERT screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 04:04 PM
MAXVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #475
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Copy that

I will install an overflow and engine ice to start.
Can't take a bike that overheats and spits out coolant into a lot of places we ride without messing up the ride for others that don't have the problem and don't want to stop!
Thanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #476
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,018
RLR Products coolant recovery tank look good.

My riding buddy has one on his 300.

Anyone have another option ?

Max
Old 06-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #477
Graveler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Great thread
Graveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #478
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Recovery Tank ordered. Engine Ice installed.

I will throw the recovery tank on there this weekend to capture any E Ice that decides to depart.
thats all hunky dory but i dont like the looks of that little frickin thermostat hose. There is no way that allows very much flow for one thing and second, how long do you think that kinky little hose will last> That thermostat arrangement looks ripe for overheating.
Why cant they make a bypass that is alot less than $130 bucks? Its not that complicated a set of hoses and plug...

jonb screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 09:38 AM
jonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #479
rotorhead511
Live and let live.

Oddometer: 475
Help with lights.

Hello,
I'm new to the thread as I just picked up a 2012 and have some questions. I've read the entire thread and just couldn't find what I was looking for.

1st, is the pull toggle that operates the head light a single position switch? I have found that sometimes just the small bulb comes on and sometimes both do. What am I missing?

2nd, I have a Sicass light, horn, blinker switch off and older 450 EXC. I would like to use it as the high/low beam and horn control but it's not a direct connection. Does anyone know how I could wire this? There is no wiring diagram in the owners manual. Blinkers wont be used but I could use the switch for something later, maybe fan control.

Lastly, I'm using another older Sicass switch for start/kill. The start is a direct connection but I have to splice into the kill. Can I hook the kill up backwards, in other words reverse polarity and if I do on accident what would be the outcome?

Thanks for any help. I could fork over the $100 for new switched but would rather reuse what I have.

Brake light questions was answered early in the thread, thanks.
'89 Honda Transalp XL600V
rotorhead511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #480
rotorhead511
Live and let live.

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead511 View Post
Lastly, I'm using another older Sicass switch for start/kill. The start is a direct connection but I have to splice into the kill. Can I hook the kill up backwards, in other words reverse polarity and if I do on accident what would be the outcome?
I figured this part out. Went to Radio Shack and bought a two pin connector. Works perfect.
'89 Honda Transalp XL600V
rotorhead511 is offline   Reply With Quote